back to article Facebook monetizes 2FA, Singapore monetizes hacker, and ransomware creeps monetize US Democrats

One or two things happened this week on the security front, like the elimination of the White House cyber czar, the massive leak of code from Aeroflot , and the debut of UEFI rootkits. A few other stories may have slipped your radar this week. Such as: The (other) Facebook privacy fsck up When they weren't losing tens of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'The (other) Facebook privacy fsck up'

Nice to see academics and journalists teaming up and chasing the world's biggest human-rights issue at the moment, namely privacy abuses. Although if Google gets its way in China, this'll be nothing!

https://gizmodo.com/facebook-is-giving-advertisers-access-to-your-shadow-co-1828476051

1. GnuTzu
      Mushroom

Re: 'The (other) Facebook privacy fsck up' -- Consumers...

This might be addressed superficially; but now that consumers are officially the property of the market, it will never really be fixed.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Science or Security?

Sciency Security!

Also Politics. Wheee!!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"help target the ads, selecting places you have shopped at"

Here we go again. Ads telling me about stuff/places I ALREADY FUCKING KNOW ABOUT.

And marketers STILL wonder why folk use adblock etc al.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Privacy is theft

"Ben can’t access his shadow contact information, because that would violate Anna’s privacy, according to Facebook,"

That's one of the most twisted interpretation of privacy ever seen. No surprise it comes from Facebook.

5. Dan 55 Silver badge

Thanks Facebook for proving me right.

There are plenty of websites which claim to have 2FA but instead send SMS codes, and I don't use them precisely because I don't trust them with my number, they'll either leak it or sell it.

SMS costs real money so they've got to get it back somehow.

All anyone needs is a TOTP-compatible code and they can bring their own authenticator.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"a huge disincentive [..] to set up a 2FA option"

Well FaceBook is a huge disincentive. With its history of ignoring the law and any sense of morals as long as it can get away with it (and a bit longer if possible), I am astounded at the number of people who blissfully continue to give Zuck their private life, giftwrapped.

And with all the information easily found on the Internet, with all the proof of its shady behavior, I'm sorry if I consider that people don't really have the right to complain any more. You put your life on FaceBook, you know Zuck is going to aggregate it, mine it and sell as much of it as he can.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"And with all the information [...] on the Internet, with all the proof of its shady behavior"

Maybe not, if "the Internet" for you is a synonym of "Facebook"... Zuck knows many of his products are totally uninformed about its slurping empire (and many other things, for the matter).

7. Crazy Operations Guy

" login credentials for the hotel's telnet"

Telnet? Seriously? The hotel really should get a fine too, using telnet nowadays is a crime against technology...

8. elvisimprsntr

Family and friends still wonder why I don't use FB or any other form of SM.

9. mark l 2 Silver badge

Not sure who the real criminals are in the Ransonware story, the hackers who want $30,000 or MS who want $700,000 to fix it. Surely if your willing to pay 3/4 of a million to MS it is worth trying to pay the $30,000 in bitcoins to the hackers first and possibly save yourself $630,000 if the hackers give up the encryption keys.

10. Tromos
    Joke

Fix for Linux EoP problem

Revised function: create_elf_and_safety_tables()

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like