back to article Fuzzy logic makes a comeback – in picking where Earth sticks its probes into alien worlds

MIT boffins reckon they can use old-school artificial intelligence to do much of the grunt work in the tricky task of picking suitable landing spots for spacecraft. in a paper for the Earth and Space Science journal, the US-based researchers described a tool that can automatically examine maps of the Martian surface, and say …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will Smith Voice

"Now thats what I call a close encounter!"

Hats off to MIT, they seem to have nailed it.

Wonder if someone should send them a copy of David Bowie "Life on Mars" just for the lulz?

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

the fast marching method

That would have been handy for Matt Damon.

3. aje21
    Headmaster

Curious unit of data measurement

Sure it sounds cool having 100 tera-anything, but who measures their data in bits when stored???

1. chris 143

Re: Curious unit of data measurement

someone who though 12TB seemed less impressive?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: Curious unit of data measurement

12,000GB sounds more impressive than 100Tb.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fuzzy Logic and Landing Sites

Using fuzzy logic to select landing sites doesn't make a lot of sense to me, for two reasons. Firstly, you don't need fuzzy logic to establish the gradient of a patch of terrain (or, for that matter, its roughness i.e. covered in boulders) - very simple algorithms can do this. And secondly, probes are landed where there is something of interest to be investigated, not because its easy to land at that location; choosing a landing site just based upon the relative ease of landing is pointless if there's nothing interesting there, or at least within a reasonable travel range, to be investigated; you don't want to run the risk of a problem developing, such as part of the probe wearing out or getting damaged, before it can start doing its work.

5. onefang
    Coat

Using this sort of technology is space gives me the warm and fuzzies.

6. Danny 2

"The software uses fuzzy logic algorithms, which were introduced in the 1960s and were rather trendy in the 1990s."

Like me, ska, and platform shoes.

I recall how proud our developers were using fuzzy logic in handwriting recognition, realising it would look good on their CVs when exploring Mars a quarter of a century later.

1. Glen 1

That's quite the commute. A sign of the times - in this day and age, you move to where the jobs are. :3

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like