back to article Euro bureaucrats tie up .eu in red tape to stop Brexit Brits snatching back their web domains

European Union bureaucrats are turning their namesake .eu top-level domain into a red-tape nightmare. Back in May, the European Commission stunned the DNS community – including the company that runs the .eu registry, EURid – by announcing it would scrap 300,000 .eu domain names owned by UK residents due to the country's …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They've gone mad!

There's DNS in madness, is there madness in DNS?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is what to do

If you are (still) an EU citizen, contact the Commission *and* the MEPs of your choice (they don't have to be from your own country) and let them know what you think. It takes just as long as venting your anger here and is rather more useful.

I recommend reading the proposed amendments first if you have time, there are quite a few gems in there. Example (emphasis mine):

Where a domain name is considered by a court of a Member State to be defamatory, racist or contrary to public policy, it shall be blocked by the Registry upon notification of a court decision.

Contrary to public policy means that leave-polands-judiciary-alone.eu, welcome-refugees.eu, freedom-for-catalonia.eu, lgbt.eu are all liable to blocking as they are contrary to public policy in at least one EU country. This is a major WTF.

There are also a number of anti red tape laws in the EU that this amendment is trying to wipe its arse with.

Finally, it's just as good a registry policy to present .EU as the domain where everyone can express himself freely and securely no matter where they are in the world, as it is to present it as anything else, so why take the hard road?

Anyway, get writing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This is what to do

Done.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This is what to do

The committee's home page, members, contact details, etc.: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/committees/en/itre/home.html

2. Saruman the White Silver badge

Well that's the end of the .eu domain

Typical European Commission thinking, they seem to think that anything even vaguely European needs to be regulated until the pips squeak. They have no idea how the real world operates; instead they operate in a cloud-cuckoo-land where the entire universe resolves around them.

Idiots!

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Well that's the end of the .eu domain

Cuckoo cloud-land?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Now I want to register gonnasp.eu...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm thinking of grabbing soviet.eu

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I'm gonna go with f*ck.eu

1. onefang

"If someone wants a .de domain, it's because they are invested in reaching German internet users; likewise .uk and the United Kingdom."

As the last few posts have proved, the other reason for going with a particular TLD is coz it forms some sort of clever, or not so clever, word play. I sometimes wa.de through a bunch of these, looking for a cool domain name that wont make me go "y.uk".

2. Jellied Eel Silver badge

I'm gonna go with f*ck.eu

Don't mention the war. But farewell and adi.eu (to ye fair Spanish maidens, if our passports and visiting rights are also cancelled)

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> I'm thinking of grabbing soviet.eu

In Soviet Russia, the domain grabs .eu

3. Handle123456

Too late. Someone has that already.

Probably Juncker.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

> "Cuckoo cloud-land?"

Cloud Cuckoo Land is the literal translation of classical Greek "Nubicuculia," the name of a perfect city in the sky made by birds in Aristophane's play The Birds.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Happy

"Cloud Cuckoo Land is the literal translation of classical Greek "Nubicuculia," the name of a perfect city in the sky made by birds in Aristophane's play The Birds."

It it better than Hitchcocks version?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> "It it better than Hitchcocks version?"

In the play the birds talk, so yes.

2. G*

Or rather, they think that anything vague EU related ought to be, ooh, off the top of my head, EU related.

Honestly, you'd think we were expecting to use the clubhouse after resigning from the club...

3. alain williams Silver badge

If all of these rules are so important why were they not in place when .eu was first released a few years ago ?

Anyone would think that coming out with them now is just to get at the Brits as punishment for Brexit.

1. Spanners Silver badge
        Facepalm

just to get at the Brits as punishment for Brexit.

Well our politicians are telling them that a majority of people in the UK want nothing more to do with them. That could, reasonably, be taken as a considered insult and they are responding.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> "Well our politicians are telling them that a majority of people in the UK want nothing more to do with them. That could, reasonably, be taken as a considered insult and they are responding."

So not wanting to be a part of the EU block can (reasonably) be considered an insult to the EU? Are they that sensitive?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank you, Boris …

… whoops, Keiren, for your even-handed and objective analysis.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Thank you, Boris …

Yup, my sentiments.

Euro bureaucrats tie up .eu in red tape to stop Brexit Brits snatching back their web domains

Is just the sort of frothing headline I've come to expect from trash rags like The Sun.

Maybe a mistake to give the article writing task to someone on the other side of the Planet, literally and figuratively.

The TLDs needs tidying up, too much cross use/misuse and overuse.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well The Register has always adopted a tabloid type format so I suspect your attempt at a slight fails somewhat...

The problem with EURid's current stance is that it has never really reached that wide an audience after its initial land rush in the heady days when people thought multiple DNS names were important (http://research.domaintools.com/statistics/tld-counts/) - coming up with arbitrary rules about usage of their domains may provide them with the rude awakening that they're just not relevant outside of EU institutions. Other than brand protection to prevent malicious use of domains, there are few technical reasons for having an .eu registration as end users access sites largely via search engines rather than entering web addresses.

Which is all good and well until someone remembers that other TLD's tend to be self-financing rather than a poorly run, expensive, beauracratic DNS service for EU organisations.

2. rtfazeberdee

Yep, you can tell he's an ignorant f**wit about how the EU works when he posts "Exit sparks worst tendencies in anonymous rule-makers" as a tag line. I guess he's just appealing to the other ones in the comments who also do not understand how the EU works.

1. James Anderson

"Anonymous rule maker Said" is exactly how the EU works.

It always amazes me how fuzzy thinking the remineralised are. They equate "Europe" with gutters and Tuscan reds so "European" must be a good thing.

Wake up the EU is not Europe it's a self serving out of control beurocracy.

It is strident about senseless rules for making suction less vacuum cleaners but happily goes along with the governments of Poland and Hungary sacking judges, suppressing free speech, and, implementing blatantly racist immigration controls contrary to the EUs own rules.

Most of Europe does not mind the EU as they take the money and ignore the senseless rules. Britain and Germany are the only countries that give the money and obey the rules.

1. Lomax

> "happily goes along with the governments of Poland and Hungary sacking judges, suppressing free speech, and, implementing blatantly racist immigration controls contrary to the EUs own rules."

*cough*

EU parliament votes to punish Hungary over 'breaches' of core values

The European Parliament has voted to pursue unprecedented disciplinary action against Hungary over alleged breaches of the EU's core values.

Prime Minister Viktor Orban's government has been accused of attacks on the media, minorities, and the rule of law - charges which he denies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45498514

1. Lomax

Just saw this:

"Conservatives had whipped their 19 MEPs to vote against the motion to censure Hungary, with only one defying the order."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45540540

Who did you say failed to stand up to Orban? Maybe you should look a little closer to home...

2. Lars Silver badge
          Happy

"Britain and Germany are the only countries that give the money and obey the rules".

Not true at all, eleven countries are net contributors. Ten can count, and know it's worth it. One is perhaps in the process of grasping it too.

Some simple googling could have prevented you from writing rubbish, then again perhaps not.

3. Stork Silver badge

"Most of Europe does not mind the EU as they take the money and ignore the senseless rules. Britain and Germany are the only countries that give the money and obey the rules."

That is factually wrong. Germany is traditionally quite slow in implementing rules, and AFAIR NL, SE and even DK are net contributors and quite good at implementing.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There is no ban on vacuum cleaner suckness. How gullible do you have to be to believe that nonsense?

https://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/tidying-up-the-facts-on-eu-vacuum-cleaner-rules/

2. Handle123456

Right. There is no sparking. This is how EU works all the time.

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

FYI the article author, and his editor who did the headlines, are anti-Brexit, but like all good journalists, that shouldn't stop them from pointing out where EU officials are being unhelpfully petty.

It is possible to be in favor of the four freedoms of the EU, and the importance of being within that union, while still critical of the bureaucracy.

C.

1. The First Dave

It is also possible to make that clear in the article...

4. Wolfclaw

"safeguard Union values" best laugh this week, what values, milk members tax payers, edictators, budgets without oversight/ unverified accounts, punish anybody that doesn't do as they are told or think for themselves, ensure only the Germans and their French poodles economies flurish ... you can go on for hours ????

5. xyz Silver badge

Flame on peeps...

Must have missed the "El Reg now a division of the Daily Bile" memo.

Anyway yes there are too many civil servants in the EU and they produce a tonne of shite but as you lot have decided to flounce off the pitch it's not your problem anymore is it. You bunch of net curtain twitchers.

1. BrexitsBane

Re: Flame on peeps...

Huh? There are fewer EU civil servants in Brussels that there are in Birmingham in the glorious People’s Republic of Brexit.

1. Handle123456

But only thanks to a clever trick. Most of the EU bureaucracy is done by people on someone else's payroll.

All the way from government to towns there's a ton of people whose sole purpose is interfacing with EU, providing shiploads of useless papers, implementing and overseeing petty regulations, ...

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Anyway yes there are too many civil servants in the EU"

If you look a little closer you'll find that this isn't a problem confined to the EU, nor to its consitituent countries. You'll also find that the same pattern keeps playing out repeatedly (lots of pen pushers of dubious utility coming up with rules and regulations to justify their continued employment, vs a dearth of actual staff needed to actually do things that matter, like cleaning the streets, keeping the lights on, protecting the environment and investigating/dealing with corruption)

6. steelpillow Silver badge

Couldn't have said it better myself

"It's exactly this sort of nonsense that drove many in the UK to vote for Brexit in the first place."

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: Couldn't have said it better myself

Exactly. I voted Remain, and will continue to do so. The EU is an essential part of the future of the countries in the UK and the continent of Europe - and the world.

But I don't pretend it's perfect and infallible! This is just another example of the imperfections, which are best tackled from inside the organisation.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately we tried, and failed at every turn

Anonymous because I still have a job and want to keep it for a while.

If you've never worked there, on the inside, it's hard to comprehend.

Its full of job justifiers, desparate to appear like they are doing something. Building little enclaves and empires, expanding remits, etc. It's like a large conglomerate or multinational, only 100x worse.

Plus all the paid lobbyists giving away free meals (star of restaurant and meal time defining how important you are), peddling influence in a huge circle jerk.

Then the factions and ideologies get in the way. Federalists are winning at the moment, brexit vote saw them slow down a bit, but the destination is fixed - the route, the vehicle, navigator and driver may change; but not the destination.

It can't be changed from the inside any more than it can be changed from the outside, it's a fairy tale. An appealing one, but not it's not real.

Things like this, and the copyright Directive (see also cookie law), and plenty of other things that go mostly unreported, all undermine citizens confidence (and rightly so). But you can't vote civil servants out, and they control the whole thing. Sir Humphry would be proud of how they adopted his world view.

For all the good things that happen, and plenty do, dealing with sh*t like this is a daily grind. It never goes away, you divert it, delay it, but it always comes back, and you only need to miss it once and it gets through.

You want to remain, OK, me too I'd be better off. But don't lie to yourself that things can be changed from the inside, they can't. The best you can hope for is too slow it down - and brexit has done more for that than years of playing the game ever has.

The future is the undiscovered country, and we will all live in interesting times.

1. Teiwaz

Its full of job justifiers, desparate to appear like they are doing something. Building little enclaves and empires, expanding remits, etc. It's like a large conglomerate or multinational, only 100x worse.

Ah, of course, and we'll get rid of that entirely by relying solely on the UK only version of such people.

The only way you'd get rid of it is by bloody revolution, and even that would only temporarily clear the weeds, and likely leave a much worse infection in it's place.

2. Teiwaz

Of course it could change.

We'd just need to remove or make the Commission democratically accountable to the European electorate directly.

There'd be no appetite for that from the individual governments though.

The heads of the individual countries could have sat down before the referendum and decided to hand everything over to the parliament or a larger commission voted directly by the people, not selected by some old boys secret handshake.

That would have knocked most the wind out of the Leave campaign.

This out of touch from the people attitude is a clear sign our democracies have gotten stuffy and unfit for purpose, no more so than in the UK with it's layered crust centuries of tradition which has served to insulate those in power. Sooner or later the crust will all that's left holding it up, and when that cracks, the results will be nasty.

3. Steve 114

Totally agree, having worked there myself. Noted though that most Commission staffers are hard working and effective, in several languages, except... that they are required to implement Treaties which everyone wishes they hadn't signed, or the French managed to make ambiguous. The real nonsense happens in the so-called 'EP', and in the not-even-EU 'ECHR'. I voted (at last!) against 'ever closer union', on page 1 of the most recent Treaty.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> I voted (at last!) against 'ever closer union', on page 1 of the most recent Treaty.

Indeed - it reads: "an ever-closer union among the peoples of Europe,..."

A statement that sounds plausible, especially coming from the viewpoint of a history of inter-European warfare but a moment's thought reveals its failings.

The obvious economic problem is that by limiting itself to Europe, the signatories are saying that, African countries, for example, could never join the EU on equal terms. (And Brexiteers are called racist?) Perhaps, if countries such as Syria had been extended free trade access to European markets 30 years ago we wouldn't be bombing them now?

The second problem is that, historically, "an ever-closer union among the peoples of Europe" was once called The Holy Roman Empire. Re-inventing "Christendom" doesn't seem like a very good idea. But that kind of thinking is exactly why we are currently bombing Syria.

Some parts of the EU are great, some parts are detestable. Foreign policy to non-EU states is one of those detestable parts and needs to change. Brexit might just be the shock that causes that necessary re-evaluation.

4. Adair Silver badge

'Its full of job justifiers, desparate to appear like they are doing something. Building little enclaves and empires, expanding remits, etc. It's like a large conglomerate or multinational' - so pretty much exactly like any civil service bureaucracy anywhere on the planet; worse than some and a lot better than others.

If this is a reflection of the nature of your discontent (and that of many other leavers) then the outcome of 'Brexit' is going to prove bitterly disappointing.

5. Alan Brown Silver badge

"But you can't vote civil servants out"

Perhaps not, but you can certainly expose them to the white hot disinfectant of sunlight.

6. eldakka

Plus all the paid lobbyists giving away free meals (star of restaurant and meal time defining how important you are), peddling influence in a huge circle jerk.

How is the different to any other human endeavour that involves more than one person?

Self-serving, empire-building bureaucracies exist at all levels, national, state/provincial/county, city, district, town, school, social clubs, political parties, marriages, sports clubs, friend circles, business circles, companies, small-businesses, non-profits, NGOs, religious organisations. Everything.

It only ever seems bad when it's not your empire, not your group, that is in control.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It's exactly this sort of nonsense that drove many in the UK to vote for Brexit in the first place."

Well, that and ignorance and racism.

1. anothercynic Silver badge

Well, that and ignorance and racism.

And EMPAAAAAAHHHHHHHRRRRRR (Empire for those who don't get it).

*sigh*

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like