back to article Do not adjust your set, er, browser: This is our new page-one design

Today's the day we flip the switch, and make our new homepage design live – with an opt-out for those still unsure of the layout. We've been gradually redeveloping the front page over the summer, and we will continue to do so, pushing out fixes, nudges, and features here and there. What you see today is not its final form, …

Page:

1. Aladdin Sane

Please stop thrusting the "news" at me

It makes me feel uncomfortable.

1. BillG
      Mushroom

LinkedIn?

It's a lot better than the disaster of a design LinkedIn groups pushed out this week. Their website finally jumped the shark.

2. MyffyW Silver badge

Any chance...

You could just make the news better? It's not been very nice recently, I'd quite like this to change.

3. m0rt

Re: Please stop thrusting the "news" at me

I feel I should be honest.

I fucking hate it. Less information over the screen. Again.

Glad it makes your life easier, however. Just not the actual consumer experience.

Just like every other fucker.

1. m0rt

Sorry. I was in shock earlier. I was harsh.

I still don't like it.

2. BillG

Too much white space. Other than that I'll get used to it.

1. VikiAi
          Unhappy

It is only somewhat less-reading-friendly than the one it is replacing.

The thing I like about arstechnica is they let people who want a tile view have one and they let people with better things to do than squinting at news sites all day have a list view they can easily scan down for headings indicating things they actually want to read.

2. Tigra 07
    Childcatcher

I don't like change. Please, no. I don't like change.

1. macjules
      Coat

I take it you do not carry coins then?

1. Tigra 07
        Pint

RE: Macjules

"I take it you do not carry coins then?"

Does't thou take me for a lowly pleb? Or Super Mario perhaps?

Where's our Mushroom icon El Reg?

2. The Nazz

Ha ha, some of us consider 10's and 20's to be loose change. GBP that is.

1. Jedit Silver badge
          Angel

"some of us consider 10's and 20's to be loose change. GBP that is."

For the last sodding time - WE HAVEN'T LEFT THE EU YET!

1. onefang

Re: "some of us consider 10's and 20's to be loose change. GBP that is."

"For the last sodding time - WE HAVEN'T LEFT THE EU YET!"

I'm afraid it wont be the last sodding time, until you actually leave the EU.

2. anothercynic Silver badge
      Joke

I DON'TS LIKES IT!!

;-D

Oh, alright then. Twist my arm. Go on.

3. Mark 85
      Devil

But we're in IT. We're supposed to love change. I guess we should all go install Win10 if we haven't already.

Side note.. I miss the "hours" for post (posted X-hours or X-days ago). GMT Is not my cup of coffee/tea/adult beverage. I note that the articles "time" isn't in GMT... yet.

1. m0rt

" I miss the "hours" for post (posted X-hours or X-days ago). GMT Is not my cup of coffee/tea/adult beverage"

Are you nuts?? I didn't notice till you pointed that out. This is so much better and was a criticism of mine first time around.

Time is awesome. And the correct way to do it.

1. Mark 85

I also just noticed the "forums" have changed : https://forums.theregister.co.uk/

2. jake Silver badge

"But we're in IT. We're supposed to love change."

I do. I LOVE change. Just not change for change's sake. And especially not change because some marketing twat in a company not even remotely related to mine made a change, so we have to keep up with the Jonses.

1. Tigra 07
          Happy

RE: RE: RE: RE:

"But we're in IT. We're supposed to love change."

I changed to Linux to avoid Windows 10. Does that count?

3. onefang

"I guess we should all go install Win10 if we haven't already."

I think most people don't install Windows 10. It comes pre-installed on most non Apple computers these days, or they upgraded from an earlier version of Windows, or the earlier version of Windows upgraded itself (even if you didn't want to), or they buy a Mac, or they install a proper operating system.

4. Marco Fontani

Side note.. I miss the "hours" for post (posted X-hours or X-days ago). GMT Is not my cup of coffee/tea/adult beverage. I note that the articles "time" isn't in GMT... yet.

Could you elaborate on where you're missing what, please? Email to webmaster@ if you fancy.

The date/timestamps in the HTML usually show the date/time in GMT, but there's some JS which runs and changes them over to relative time.

So if you're running JS, you should be seeing relative timestamps in most places (but some, as for example an article's "date line" isn't one of them) and any other "full" timestamp is meant to be displayed in GMT.

If you (are running JS and) aren't seeing a relative timestamp, or if a "full" timestamp doesn't look like isn't in GMT, that's a bug on my book, and I'd rather hear about it (at webmaster@ please!). Thanks!

3. BigSLitleP
    Pint

As a functioning (apparently) sociopath...

I like change and i like the new site.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One reason is to consolidate the desktop and mobile versions of the website into one design

That concept sure worked well for Microsoft, didn't it.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

MS went full on mobile first without developing a full set of widgets and ignoring the mouse. Responsive web design doesn't have to be binary but having the same HTML and using CSS (and some JS) for different screen sizes is how it's supposed to be done. Having less code to manage should mean fewer bugs…

1. tiggity Silver badge

Responsive can often be irritating.

For most sites I go the approach of having site content as XML.

Different XSL transforms produced mobile and large screen html

So same base content, the transforms give device tweaked html.

Lots of nice descriptive XML elements and attributes so your initial content can be documented in great detail.

Nicely fits model of content & presentation separation of concerns.

And change to content XML just means reapply XSL and both sites updated, nice & easy - plus it allows it all with no f****g JS required.

Different XSL transforms produced mobile and large screen html

Ugh! XSLT now there is a language I hate with a passion! But each to their own.

Nicely fits model of content & presentation separation of concerns.

Not as much as HTML & CSS does.

2. JohnFen

"Responsive can often be irritating."

I have yet to find an implementation of responsive design that isn't irritating on the desktop.

5. NonSSL-Login
    Thumb Down

Argghhh

Too much white and too much empty space. Exactly how shit the BBC site looked when they made it to look better on mobiles. No care about those that use huge monitors due to stats saying a mobile users are a larger percent of viewers.

In this day and age it should be easy enough for technology to format on the fly better for mobile/large screens yet no one seems able to do it. Web 2 maybe not fit for purpose if it can't handle that.

My browser removes cookies that it hasn't blocked on exit, so im guessing every visit I will have to opt-out.

From using the BBC site daily I now use it once a month at best since they made the changes everyone hated. I guess im now going to have to find another way to view register content which isn't so dreadful or it will go the same way as the BBC in my viewing habits.

/Obligatory Rant

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: Argghhh

I'm all for "less pics more text" and eagerly awaiting the launch of the compact mode mentioned in the article.

1. NonSSL-Login
        Meh

The BBC admitted to changing their staple of lots of information down to smaller byte sized generic sentences so they could fit on mobiles too. So even the stories got shit and more tabloid looking amongst all that white space.

The register shouldn't have that issue at least as stories are still a decent length.

In the past I have used the Stylish addon to change the look of sites/pages but that addon got pulled from both browsers app stores when an update started sending data back to their servers. Don't want to create security risks just to fix horrible formatting for a site.

1. onefang

"In the past I have used the Stylish addon to change the look of sites/pages but that addon got pulled from both browsers app stores when an update started sending data back to their servers."

"Page Colors & Fonts Buttons" has been working well for me for a long time. Shitty name, good addon.

2. tony72

Stylus is a great alternative to Stylish. I have already used it to remove the ugly boxes; if you're going to have that much white space separating articles, boxes around them as well seems superfluous and aesthetically regressive.

2. tiggity Silver badge

just browse with images blocked - I do!

3. HieronymusBloggs

"less pics more text"

In Dillo, my usual browser, there are no pictures at all. Even in Firefox (with NoScript) there's only a single headline picture.

I like it.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I'm all for "less pics more text" and eagerly awaiting the launch of the compact mode mentioned in the article."

Came here to say exactly the same thing. A 1000 upvotes for you sir. Shame they only count as one in the totals, but I did click many times without success :-)

6. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Its ok

Seems more of a case of "lets fix it" even if it aint broken to me

But then so long as we can read the content without 6 billion popups everywhere... its ok with me

Re: Its ok

I think it's getting there. The homepage still has problems with whitespace and contrast. I think a more material design of the "cards" would make this less jarring: tone down the # comments and article time because they are not distinct click/touch targets.

1. JohnFen

Re: Its ok

"a more material design"

Oh, please no. There's too much of this material design stuff in the world already. We don't need more.

7. onefang

I'm glad El Reg has gone through this process in redesigning the front page, without it I never would have tried the RSS feed. I like it so much, I've not looked at the front page since. So "thumb up" to El Reg for the process, "don't care" for the result.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

m.theregister.co.uk

Please keep m.theregister.co.uk as it is.

please, please, please!

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: m.theregister.co.uk

Yes! Or, at the very least, let your readership opt into that mode (even when using a desktop browser)

please, please, please!

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Always hated "m" based sub-domains: they create more problems than they purport to solve.

1. JohnFen

Yeah, that's a suboptimal solution, but I've not seen a better alternative.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Unhappy

Seems like I can tap the Register title bar at the top on the m. version and get sent to the www. version, in the same (or similar) way to what happened when the responsive design on the www. version was first rolled out...

9. iron Silver badge
    Pint

The new front page looks ok but there are a couple of large empty spaces that should probably contain stories and the story tiles aren't a uniform size. As someone with a background in printing newspapers these issues make it look scruffy and untidy to me.

I'll be interested to try the compact mode, it sounds promising for mobile. Any chance you could work up a dark theme for my tired old dev eyes?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Happy

Shhh... the large empty spaces are where the adverts go.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Adverts? What pray tell be these of which ye speak?

2. JohnFen

"Any chance you could work up a dark theme for my tired old dev eyes?"

That's an interesting thing, right there. I also have tired old dev eyes, and they're why I prefer light themes. Dark themes are hard for me to read and increase my eyestrain!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Boo rubbish, change it back.

Ars Tech allow you to change the layout, take note.

1. NonSSL-Login

Reddit

Reddit also allowed the old design to be used too when they made major changes recently. Link was prominent at the top too so easy to access.

There is am opt-out at the bottom of the register page, It might be hidden under a floating toolbar asking you to click OK to accepting cookies though, requiring you to click that before you can reach the opt-out link.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon