back to article Unity tweaks AI training tools, makes bid for academic respect

Unity Technologies on Monday released version 0.5 of its ML-Agents toolkit to make its Unity 3D game development platform better suited for developing and training autonomous agent code via machine learning. Initially rolled out a year ago in beta, version 0.5 comes with a few improvements. There's a wrapper for Gym (a toolkit …

1. Rol

Rubbish!

I'd love to see the day when my city's garbage was sifted through by an AI equipped robot.

With wide spectrum binocular vision and an array of arms fitted with a selection of instruments, it could work through the rubbish, identifying, dismantling, cutting and separating everything into a recyclable state.

Once AI has achieved that goal, I might, just might, trust it to identify, dismantle, cut and cleave its way through the enemies of my nation, on a remote battlefield.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. deive

There are a lot of misnomers and mistakes around machine learning, the main being the media calling it artificial intelligence when it is not AI (as I keep pointing out in this hallowed comment section).

I would also say you seem to be mixing up hardware vs software - nVidia make hardware that runs ML code, whereas Google have a "cloud" that runs ML as a service. nVida have "cloud" software https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/gpu-cloud/deep-learning-containers/ but this is not a SaaS, it enables others to run their own SaaS using nVidia hardware. Google's SaaS uses their own hardware for training/running the ML code on.

No particular point to make, just trying to clear up these misnomers :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like