back to article Microsoft: You don't want to use Edge? Are you sure? Really sure?

Microsoft really wants you to use Edge in the latest Windows Insider builds, and the software giant is not afraid to let you know it. Windows Insider Sean Hoffman took to Twitter last night to express his displeasure at a pop-up shown by Windows 10 when he attempted to install an alternative browser. When he ran the Firefox …

Page:

1. }{amis}{
    Flame

Dear Microsoft

Please Bug off and take your POS browser with you.

1. NBCanuck

Re: Dear Microsoft

Please BING off and take your POS browser with you.

There.....FTFY.

2. Lusty

I don't think it's unreasonable in preview software for the vendor to expect you to fully test all features and ask you to use their programs. If this is in post release then we can rightly kick up some fuss and I'll be front of the queue.

I know, not a popular viewpoint; downvote away.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Read the article and the links. This is not pitched as a preview feature, this is pitched as a shitty, intrusive and annoying feature for the next iteration.

1. Lusty

Read it yourself..."in the latest Windows Insider builds"

1. Dave K

If it were aimed purely at testing, Microsoft would have said so in the pop-up. Or are you trying to say that Insiders don't know what Edge is? If so, MS really is in trouble...

1. katrinab Silver badge
              Trollface

Yes, Edge is the tool Microsoft provides for downloading the Firefox installer. Not as good as BSD Ports, but it does the job.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Devil

"a shitty, intrusive and annoying feature for the next iteration."

like 'Clippy' ?

/me plays oblitatory "It looks like you're writing a letter" salmon days BOFH video clip.

2. Someone Else Silver badge

@Lusty -- Re: Dear Microsoft

I know, not a popular viewpoint; downvote away.

Done.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> If this is in post release then we can rightly kick up some fuss and I'll be front of the queue.

If nobody kicked up a fuss now, it would make it to release. And if such a feature makes it to release, the damage will already have been done before the decision can be reversed.

If a law were proposed to empty the bank accounts of anyone calling themselves "Lusty", would you wait until it were made enforceable law before kicking up a fuss?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"If nobody kicked up a fuss now, it would make it to release."

If it makes it to release, I can see the EU sitting up and taking notice. They have to replenish their coffers once the UK stops paying it's membership dues.

4. WylieCoyoteUK

Except I am not on the insider program, and it did that on server2016 when I installed Chrome months ago.

It also does it if you install Adobe reader.

3. GnuTzu
      Mushroom

Re: Dear Microsoft -- You Did It To Yourself!!!

You tried to co-opt the standards of the Internet by packaging your perversion of the standards in a browser built into the O.S--with the clear intent to addict both users and software developers to it--because you knew developers wouldn't pay attention to standards and API specifications and instead design to the bugs of your twisted f'd up product. Now you pay the price. Entire organizations have web applications that only work on that perverted browser and can't use Edge. Hah!!! Eat your own shit!

Gawd it feels so incredibly good to say we told you so.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Entire organizations have web applications that only work on that perverted browser and can't use Edge"

Yes, and Microsoft is one of them. That said, there are a lot of wifi routers - commercial ones - which only work with IE for their login page. That's inexcusable, IE wasn't even still a thing when these devices were made!

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
          Pirate

"IE wasn't even still a thing when these devices were made!"

Not the devices, no. But when the original firmware was written, it was 2002 and Life Was Better With IE6. No need to patch code that's Known To Work, even 15 years later, right?

2. TheVogon

"Entire organizations have web applications that only work on that perverted browser and can't use Edge."

Edge has a setting called 'Enterprise Mode" that automatically switches to IE on websites of choice so yes they can. It's one of the major reasons enterprises dont use say Chrome on Windows 10.

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

"It's one of the major reasons enterprises dont use say Chrome on Windows 10."

And yet we have IE-specific apps that won't run in Edge no matter what we do. After the last Win10 update came down the wire even IE would just sit there sullenly refusing to pick them up and run with them. The current workaround is an IE compatibility extension to Chrome.

1. TheVogon

"And yet we have IE-specific apps that won't run in Edge no matter what we do."

See the comment above. Use Enterprise Mode to automatically launch them in IE.

"After the last Win10 update came down the wire even IE would just sit there sullenly refusing to pick them up"

So they used to work but now dont. Probably related to a security lockdown, which can generally be removed with the right policy setting. Suggest pressing F12 to enter dev mode, selecting the network tab, pressing the play button to start it analysing and then typing in the URL. That should show you where it's going wrong.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well Edge is certainly faster and less resource hungry than Chrome. But not more secure I think.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" less resource hungry "

oh dear, another pleb who loves to have unused, wasted resources in his device.

Me, I want it to use everything at it's disposal, as long as it can free it up at a moments notice, when something else needs it. I find Chrome pretty good at this.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>>oh dear, another pleb who loves to have unused, wasted resources in his device."

Unfortunately Chrome also uses more resources when they are in short supply. You might have plenty of other reasons to use Chrome, but Edge is definately in general faster with lower resource use.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Microsoft is doubtless gauging reaction"

... and listening carefully for any screaming coming from the direction of the EU, I'm sure.

3. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Stop

Er ... weren't the 90s-noughties browser wars fought over this shit ?

And MS lost ?

Certainly for personal computing needs these days, MS really aren't in that strong a position. No one *needs* Windows that much. (Moribund workplaces don't count).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Er ... weren't the 90s-noughties browser wars fought over this shit ?

they lost? Yeah, they f... lost, sure. Only that it took 10 years, when the ruling came, and nobody gave a flying monkey f... (other than the lawyers).

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

The browser choice dialog worked, when it was removed Firefox downloads dropped 63%.

(Meanwhile, Google spammed Chrome at people with Search.)

1. Corporate Scum

Yes, and the wars never really ended.

The picture of Google pushing chrome clearly illustrates that we have just traded one monopolist for another, and that Google also should receive the loving embrace of it's own consent decree.

The browser choice dialog helped but it still failed, as it never leveled the playing field. It gave you a false choice between "Nothing but Microsoft's built in browser that can't be uninstalled" and "One of a small list of other browsers AND the one you don't want and can't get rid of, tough luck"

M$ buried IE's code deep in the OS, and the US and EU both refused to make M$ remove it or place 3rd party browsers on remotely equal footing. They still aren't.

Microsoft needs to get out of denial that they blew their shot with Edge at launch, along with Windows 8. They needed to fix it's basic usability and security issues, like allowing a single modal fave virus alert to jam the browser across system reboots. They didn't and as a result people hate it. They hate it enough to pay someone to reinstall their OS to windows 7. Trying to nag and trick people into switching back to it is going to fail hard, and in an embarrassingly public way.

Now it's just like the war in Afghanistan. No amount of ignoring that it's lost can ever make you win.

2. Jeffrey Nonken

"No one *needs* Windows that much. (Moribund workplaces don't count)."

True. This development environment for the microprocessor I use? Pfft. Who needs it? I should just learn to hand-code in binary.

Or just find a less suitable processor that has a Linux IDE. Because there are so many to choose from.

4. ITS Retired
    Holmes

More bloat in an already over bloated OS

Microsoft need a legal lesson that our computers are not theirs to control and run as they see fit.

Regardless of which operating system is installed, or how many.

1. yossarianuk

Re: More bloat in an already over bloated OS

Secure boot make that hard....

But running Linux is a better choice.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Big Brother

didn't you get the memo?

you know the one from MS that clearly stated that the OS is theirs and their EULA means that they can do whatever they want to it even if it is on your hardware. What they giveth they can taketh away.

You will do what they allow and only what they allow or they'll take their OS and go home.

/s /s /s

Seriously, this is really taking the piss. SatNad and his crew in Redmond get more like BB each and every day.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Unhappy

"SatNad and his crew in Redmond get more like [Big Brother] each and every day"

Like that graphic with Bill G. as Locutus of Borg. It's been happening for a while. SatNad is just the latest. I would say 'Borg Queen' but that has so many alternate implications I figured I'd leave that one alone... oops, too late.

When i went to check on a security vulnerability yesterday, I had to load the MS link for the CVE in a separate security context and process incarnation of firefox that allows script AND cookies [and then dumps it all when I close it - ha ha]. Upon loading the MS link for the CVE report, which basically didn't tell me anything useful, I had to AGREE to their TOU for some @#$% reason...

just how far are they gonna TAKE that #&%$ anyway?

2. GnuTzu

"You will do what they allow and only what they allow or they'll take their OS and go home."

Sounds like Zappa's "I'm The Slime": https://genius.com/Frank-zappa-im-the-slime-lyrics

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually they are not yours, exactly. You own the OS license, not the OS itself. Microsoft owns the OS.

1. JohnFen

Which means that you can't redistribute it. It in no way means that Microsoft gets to treat your machine as if they own it.

1. rdhood

"Which means that you can't redistribute it. It in no way means that Microsoft gets to treat your machine as if they own it."

And that, folks, is the crux of all of this. Microsoft is planning on actively scanning everything you do on your system. In my paranoid world, it means that they probably already are

4. aks

Your computer, your choice of operating system.

Their operating system, what's wrong with offering a one-time suggestion?

5. phuzz Silver badge

Microsoft need a legal lesson that our computers are not theirs to control and run as they see fit.

No one is stopping you from installing another OS on your computer, you are in control of that.

And if you have installed Windows, why are you complaining? You should have known what you're getting in to.

6. Domquark

"Microsoft need a legal lesson that our computers are not theirs to control and run as they see fit.

Regardless of which operating system is installed, or how many."

Good thing you aren't an iMac fan............

5. James Anderson

He should not worry. There is no way to change the default browser to anything but IE or edge. The option to choose another program seems to have accidentally disappeared. Even if you did manage to switch Edge will once again be the default after the next upgrade.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

All of this is an effort to gauge how much the frog complains about being boiled.

If the frog complains too much that piece of code will be backed out otherwise it'll stay.

It's not as if it hasn't happened before on Windows 10...

2. GnuTzu

"...no way to change the default browser to anything but IE or edge."

Really?!?! isn't that going to be a problem in the EU?

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
        Pirate

"isn't that going to be a problem in the EU?"

Probably, but not before Microsoft has made 3 times more money than they'll have to pay in fines. So it's still a Microsoft win, sadly.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Links to resolutions, will work with any browser

Here are several sites which will resolve this problem for good:

https://www.ubuntu.com/

https://www,opensuse.org

https://www.linuxmint.com

etc...

Really, why do people put up with this nonsense? It's just not necessary.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Links to resolutions, will work with any browser

OK, I'll bite. Because they're not sitting in their bedroom with one PC, but instead have a fleet of > several thousand PCs that have to be usable by staff trained in, experienced with and productive in Windows, running software that only runs on Windows, intereacting with other companies that also use windows apps and file formats. Perhaps you're new to the IT world and El Reg in particular?

1. Adrian 4

@Coward

Would those be the same staff that have to be retrained to use the clusterfuck that is windows 10 ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Normal users (email n' excel n' word n' internet) don't need retrained to use Windows 10.

1. JohnFen

That's funny, given the large number of companies who had to actively train their employees on how to use it.

2. Jim 59

"Because they're not sitting in their bedroom with one PC, but instead have a fleet of..."

You almost certainly have at least 10 unix systems in your house, doing their jobs so unobtrusively that you don't even notice them.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"You almost certainly have at least 10 unix systems in your house, doing their jobs so unobtrusively that you don't even notice them."

Golly gosh, do I? Well hot dang. I'm well aware of that as I set them up that way; from the Android phone I'm typing on to the Ubiquiti CCTV system I've got running on an old laptop, but that doesn't take away the fact of floors and floors of windows desktops running commercial organisations across the world that can't and won't be shifting away any time soon. FFS, I was running wine on Linux thin clients back in 2002 just until Linux was ready for the desktop. It wasn't then, it won't be any time soon. You may not like it, but it's the reality.

1. Jim 59

"I was running wine on Linux thin clients back in.." etc. etc.

Yes yes. We are all experts here. I am sure you rock.

I am happy for Windows to dominate the desktop, which it continues to do because of contractual agreement (and not for any technical reason). In fact I quite enjoy using Windows 10 at work -- where somebody else is responsible for keeping it running. At home, I run Mint 18, preferring it for 1000 reasons.

I do have a Windows installation at home. At the moment it is screeching "I need an upgrade! Download 6 GB now!". Meanwhile, Mint has reminded me that updates are available, when I have time. They include a new kernel and Firefox upgrade. Installation, when I choose to do it, will likely take less than 60 seconds, download a few MB and be completely transparent (even the kernel). Even a full OS upgrade to Mint 19 would probably take less than 15 minutes. Some things Windows does better (ubuiquity related , eg. games) and some things Linux does better (almost everything else).

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like