back to article You've been served: Market rakes in $22bn, Dell does rather well – IDC

It's money for DRAM time at Round Rock server HQ, which we hope is buying the beers this afternoon. Dell dominated the server space and raked in the most revenues in 2018’s second quarter, according to IDC. The PowerEdge-flinger flashed the top revenues in the period: $4.25bn, up 53 per cent year-on-year. It shipped 574,600 …

1. baspax

I don’t get it

What’s up with Dell and these WILDLY fluctuating numbers? Same with HP. Dell’s server biz grew 50% in one year? Do you really believe this?

Wasn’t it HPE who had massive changes in storage and server sales lately?

Is this just accounting and reporting shenanigans?

1. baspax

Re: I don’t get it

I should have looked at the entire table. Yikes! The whole market grew by 50%. Well played Dell, nice execution.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There is a bit of accounting shenanigans. It's explained here in a storage thread I think but from memory it's a change in financial year that allowed them to basically compare their best quarter this year with last years worst quarter (traditionally). Still some growth aside from the shenanigans though and they have been on a hiring binge. HPE have exited the often unprofitable tier 1 volume market and have disruption as you mentioned. IBM is always lumpy depending who has bought a mainframe lately. Its still quite crazy though how such a large and established market seems so volatile.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"it's a change in financial year that allowed them to basically compare their best quarter this year with last years worst quarter (traditionally)"

facepalm.jpg

Dell EMC's first FY started in February 2016, more than 2.5 years ago. IDC/Gartner track quarterly sales - as well as market share % and $ revenue annually. So no idea how this financially illiterate crap makes sense to anyone - although I do see a lot of people repeating it. How many more years will this "logic" apply for?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm trying to grasp the enterprise server refresh. I would have thought that it'd be better to hold off until new CPU's with built-in mitigations for Meltdown and the various incarnations of Spectre were out. Fallout from the tax law change here in the US is a proximate cause, perhaps?

The Huawei numbers are interesting as well.

1. Casper42

Spectre and Meltdown don't affect the Enterprise nearly as much as they do the big cloud providers.

It's also going to be several years before all those issues make it for design to tape to full production. Enterprise simply can't wait that long.

Lastly, the newer boxes with patches are still faster than the older boxes, even without patches (which often lag on release)

3. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Thumb Up

I thought the headline was talking about law suits at first, and then I realised it was an "Are You Being Served" reference. Nice work...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HPE playing for profit

So HPE is selling their servers for as much as they can. As a consumer we call that paying too much for a product. We expect companies to make a profit, not rip us off

1. Casper42

Re: HPE playing for profit

Not what you think.

There were deals HPE did where they sold servers to Microsoft and other cloud providers and did so at a slight loss when it e to the hardware, just so they could make some money on attached services and longer term support contracts.

Not like they suddenly started gouging the average customer, they just walked away from many of the Tier 1 Service Providers

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like