back to article World Cup TV sales offset dip in computing demand says Dixons Carphone

Data-breach-hit Dixons Carphone is on track to meet its profit expectations for the current fiscal year as the World Cup beefed up sales of TVs to more than offset crappier demand for computing kit and white box goods. The group said like-for-like sales were flat for the 13 weeks ended 28 July, the firm’s first quarter of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Three mentions of their data breech, no reminder for us forgetful types that Currys PC World is one of their brands.

1. Lee D Silver badge

I'm sorry, but if you're buying your PC from PC World, it's already game-over for you.

Literally, no hope.

Give up now.

Go back to an Etch-a-Sketch.

Especially if you're reading a tech site online and are "shocked" that PC World are somehow useless.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Special deals.

As it's bricks and mortar too (so no online account needed), special deals and flash sales can sometimes have their benefit. So even the worse retailer can have benefits at times. ;)

However, even the likes of Maplin proved, that sometimes there are no deals! XD

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Special deals.

The article was about the sale of TVs too, not just PCs. Usually they aren't great, but there is the occasional good deal - though I haven't bought a PC from them for years.

2. EnviableOne

Re: Special deals.

Ahh but as with the likes of maplin, if you dont have the luxury of Prime NOW! and postivily absoloutly have to have it in the next hour, (Currys) PC World is there for you.

2. spold Silver badge

Going forward....

>>>

as the World Cup beefed up sales of TVs to more than offset crappier demand

<<<

So as an investor (I take it there are some) I can infer that sales will be total pants for the next few years in the absence of a World Cup....

1. IsJustabloke
      Meh

Re: Going forward....

"in the absence of a World Cup"

Or possibly they'll be boosted by European Cup? And there'll be an Olympics in a couple of years too.

I suspect they're all very traditional times for people to upgrade their TVs.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How on earth does the world cup increase sales of TV's?

Most people who watch football already have them.

It wasn't like it was widely available on UHD so no upgrade path. (BBC Iplayer: internet connection,smart television and if you were in the lucky first few thousand permitting. Also most TV's are hooked up via WiFi and we know what that can be like)

I personally just don't see it.

1. kevin king

<Quote>It wasn't like it was widely available on UHD so no upgrade path. (BBC Iplayer: internet connection,smart television and if you were in the lucky first few thousand permitting. Also most TV's are hooked up via WiFi and we know what that can be like) </Quote>

People where buying new UHD and HDR HLG TV to see the new services that BBC were putting out .

I have my UHD HDR TV connected to 5Ghz wifi and not had a problem, sounds like someone needs a new router?

The signal was in UHD HDR is you wanted it on iplayer... The England vs Tunisia game proved to be BBC most streamed live event up to that date. BBC stopped access to UHD in the first half for a short period of time as they re-balanced traffic across our CDNs to optimise performance. Things calmed down a bit and they re-enabled UHD access at half time. BBC had just over 35,000 UHD viewers at this point but were shipping around 5Tbits of data per second across all services.

Wimbledomn and the World Cup in UHD http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/5c5b8f80-891d-4b51-babd-8814c1511b4e

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon