back to article Back to school soon – for script kiddies as well as normal kids. Hackers peddle cybercrime e-classes via Telegram

Crooks are now taking to encrypted messenger Telegram to tout their online how-to courses on cybercrime, according to risk management biz Digital Shadows. Russian criminals have for some time now taught classes over the internet on how to rip off folks and credit card companies. Digital Shadows, which chronicled this trade …

1. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

That's a great ROI, probably from the first job.

2. RyokuMas
    Childcatcher

Distraction technique

Clever... give a whole bunch of new script-kiddie wannabes enough basic knowledge to do a bit of damage and let them go stomping round without the experience to properly cover their tracks.

The security bods and law enforcement will be too busy trying to track down and round up all these new small timers to notice the veterans quietly and secretly doing the real damage...

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Okay, so where are law enforcement students ?

What should be done is that law enforcement should have some personnel sign up to these courses and learn the techniques.

Shouldn't be difficult and I don't see the crooks doing any reputation checks from their home base.

Once we have officers fully trained and up to speed (because $1,100 for 40 days seems a pretty good deal to me), then our Cybercrime units will know what to look for and how to fight it.

If that isn't being done, then our governments are even stupider than I thought - which, of course, is quite possible.

1. Mark 85

Re: Okay, so where are law enforcement students ?

If that isn't being done, then our governments are even stupider than I thought - which, of course, is quite possible.

Well, we all like to think that a) the LEO's are smarter than the crooks, or b) the crooks are smarter than the LEO's. I guess it depends on which side of the fence one sits on. Both sides are equally smart and equally stupid, just maybe not in the same areas at the same time.

4. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Good

Well someone has to beta test these software houses untested code, it might as well be criminals if not the companies, who should show some responsibility for it

Hopefully some of their antics will deny CEO's of their grotesque salaries

Unlikely though, these sociopaths usually have golden goodbyes, unlike the fixed-term contractors who just get shafted.

5. lukewarmdog

wondering..

How many of these sites are honeypots, whilst you're busy learning the crime business, the FBI are grabbing your IP and sending someone round to your basement.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm intrigued

Now I'm curious about what these courses actually do. It's not worth actually paying for it, but if I knew where the materials were, I'd probably read them. Does this make me a bad person?

7. The First Dave
    Headmaster

Pupils already went back to school this week ...

8. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Optimal exploitation

So...one government/pen tester signs up, then reports what was taught to everyone else. I'm pretty sure that will break the NDA, but what will the teachers do, complain to the cops?

1. Mark 85

Re: Optimal exploitation

I'm pretty sure that will break the NDA, but what will the teachers do, complain to the cops?

Nah, they'll hire a lawyer and launch a sue-ball.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

practi_s_ing

(aimed at Digital Shadows, not The Reg, who would never be such a basic errer)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like