back to article Incoming NBN boss inheriting regulation, service headaches

It's not quite as bad as waking up with a hangover and a mystery tattoo, but incoming nbn™ CEO Stephen Rue will start his tenure with a new regulatory regime, and on notice to fix the network rollout's ongoing new connection problem. This week, Rue was named to follow outgoing boss Bill Morrow, taking the big chair on …

1. Phil Kingston

I thought I was in a tiny minority of NBN customers with such issues. Those figures are staggering. That said, it shouldn't be too hard for him to improve on them.

2. -tim
    FAIL

I'm shocked...

A overgrown cable tv network Isn't' a good data network? Who would have thought that might happen?

I've been telling people to buy a new NBN connection and cancel the other one once it has been proven to work rather than take advantage of migration. I've meet way too many people who are in that group of no phone or data for weeks.

Even with HFC, the network should be build like a peering network, not a cable TV network on steroids.^

^ back end complexity, it sure isn't a comment on the speed.

3. GrumpyKiwi

NBN - bureaucratic, inflexible and tedious

Got told I had to switch two of our store sites over from using (Telstra) ADSL as NBN was now live in the area. Attempted to switch. The process was full of bureaucratic bullshit, was inflexible and was tedious enough that I ended up telling them to shove their NBN up their ass and chalk this up as yet another loss to Optus. Optus 4G connection went into stores. Problem solved.

Here is a free clue for NBN corp. Stop using overseas based help desks full of people who have no idea what I'm talking about when I say the store is a concession in a Myer. "Myer, what is that? I do not understand" is not a good look.

4. eldakka

Let's hope that, unlike ASIC and APRA*, ACMA actually exercises its powers.

* As a Royal Commission into financial services (banking, wealth management, superannuation) in Australia is finding, there have been many breaches by the financial institutions involved, yet the government agencies tasked with enforcing the regulations, APRA and ASIC, haven't been following through on litigation. In a decade APRA has not launched a single court cases against such breaches, which number in the hundreds.

5. aberglas

So how many people thought the NBN was significantly BETTER

" only 24 per cent of households and 18 per cent of businesses thought their Internet service was worse post-migration"

Wow. Not just dissatisfied with the transition, dissatisfied with the result.

Many people will be satisfied that it is no worse than what they had before. It used to work fine without the NBN, and after a little trouble in the transition it continues to work fine.

But the big question is, how many people think that the NBN is BETTER than what they had before. And in particular $4,000 better that it cost the government to provide it.

I would like the NBN because I have terrible ADSL. But that is because I am not easy to connect, and so have a very low priority for the NBN.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon