back to article Baddies of the internet: It's all about dodgy mobile apps, they're so hot right now

Rogue mobile apps have become the most common fraud attack vector, according to the latest quarterly edition of RSA Security's global fraud report. Fraud from mobile browsers and mobile applications made up 71 per cent of total fraudulent transactions recorded (of approximately 402,000) in Q2 2018, compared to 61 per cent in …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Really ?

My bank tells me it's all perfectly safe !

And that I should use their mobile app to do all my banking !

They even offered me money if I start using their app !

(Not in a million years I won't...)

1. GnuTzu

Re: Really ?

"They even offered me money"

Really? Gotta wonder what all they get out of it: an expectation of an increase in transaction fees--or do they just want a peak into your online world?

1. LucreLout

Really? Gotta wonder what all they get out of it

Branch closures, reduction in staff costs (branch staff and sales), fast & cheap roll out of new products, reduced postage costs, and that's before any neferious data/location snooping.

The question should be what does the customer get out of it?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

access to your email, your contact list, your call history, ....

2. ThatOne Silver badge
      Devil

> My bank tells me it's all perfectly safe !

That's because they are still polite and try to sugarcoat it...

Soon they will tell you that you have to use it if you want to manage your money, and that the only way to speak with a (guaranteed clueless) human would require taking an appointment with a waiting time of 3 months, and make a trip to the bank's HQ, wherever it might be. Also a processing fee of £50 will be debited from your account for each appointment made.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My Android phone is VERY secure

I protect myself by installing half a dozen "Antivirus/Cleaner" apps to make sure no dodgy apps steal my data.

/S

1. Oengus

Re: My Android phone is VERY secure

Mine is really secure because after I loaded all of the anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-id theft apps I could find I found there was no space left to store other apps...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like