back to article Apple pulls iOS 12 beta 7 after less than 24 hrs

Apple has pulled the latest beta of its iOS platform software after less than 24 hours in the wild, and without explanation. This year’s release, iOS 12, is intended to be a performance update with Apple stating that it sought to improve performance on older, lower RAM devices like the iPhone 6. The platform release is …

1. MiguelC Silver badge

You contacted Apple for comment

Judging by the way you put it, you clearly have abandoned all hopes of getting any sort of response. I kind of expected more persistence, not even 6 years have passed since you published the story that - presumably - got you banned...

1. m0rt

Re: You contacted Apple for comment

It goes back even further.

For example this and this

and most likely this.

1. Mark 110

Re: You contacted Apple for comment

There was a story within the lastg yearf where "An Apple spokesperson told us . . .". We all had a good giggle at the time :-)

2. DJV Silver badge
  2. JimmyPage Silver badge

Rollback

Is it possible to rollback this release ?

And Mrs Page wonders why I wait months before I'll update her iPad.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Rollback

IOS rollbacks are generally possible, yes.

2. Velv

If you backed it up to a computer before applying the OTA upgrade then yes.

No backup? That’ll be a no then.

3. Archivist

It's a beta - not for Joe Public. You can restore the device to the current OS anytime you want.

If you were part of the beta test programme you'd know the answer.

4. TWB

"And Mrs Page wonders why I wait months before I'll update her iPad."

My wife is the opposite - never wants anything updated, prefers the old ways of doing things, thinks updates breaks things (which is often how it seems). She used to work with journalists and they all much preferred using Xywrite (IIRC) - with visible control characters and text only clunky non-wisiwyg display - over having Word forced upon them.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Doing the right thing

In the case of a release like this, the right thing is to pull it and put it in a "brown bag".

Opening beta releases to wider groups makes sense as it means more hardware / software / network combinations than you can manage inhouse. It works best with as much automated reporting as possible and requires testers to be aware that their settings and contents might get trashed: definitly opt-in only.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Doing the right thing

In the case of a release like this, the right thing is to pull it and put it in a "brown bag".

Are these the kind of brown bags that are left on people's doorsteps and set alight?

4. Velv
    Trollface

iOS 11.4.1 borked the WiFi on the 6s (and maybe others) and Apple confirmed they’re not planning on a fix until 12.

Sounds like plans for 12 are borking stuff too.

Oh what a glorious few months we’re in for...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Usual BS

"something Google has opted to copy."

Given that Google had been offering public Android betas since 2014 (android L), it's apple copying as per usual.

Anyone else find it weird how it's the same writers that want to rewrite history or just can't be arsed to face check??

1. eldakka

Re: Usual BS

"something Google has opted to copy."

Given that Google had been offering public Android betas since 2014 (android L), it's apple copying as per usual.

After perusing some of the stories linked by others in these comments, especially the Apple apologises sort of, I suspect that may be tongue in cheek.

6. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Coat

We contacted Apple for comment.

Don't hold your breath. Most probably El Reg is on a blacklist at anything Apple.

Mine's the one with the Matrix Nokias in the pocketses.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like