back to article Train ImageNet for $40 in 18 mins, a robot that can play Where's Wally? etc

Hello, here are a few bits of AI news for the weekend. You don't always need a ton of cash to buy a wad of GPUs to train your models super quickly. You can do it pretty cheaply on cloud platforms. There's also a robot that can play Where's Waldo (Wally in the UK), and Microsoft's computer that is trying to tell if you've found a …

1. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

When will A.I. learning be made portable?

Portable in the PDF sense. Platform agnostic.

It appears that everybody is starting from scratch, with each new system (design). Not even a trace of pre-learned building blocks, reflective of preprogrammed instincts. There'd be a market for such packages.

Point? AI is far from mature, and I don't even see a roadmap yet. Industry need a leader, and a plan.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: When will A.I. learning be made portable?

"...Not even a trace of pre-learned building blocks..."

Only if you've been living under a rock and don't actually follow the research. A huge amount of current work is based on a technique called transfer learning, where knowledge developed in one model is used to bootstrap another model and reduce the biases within it.

That's why training ImageNet (and ResNet, VGGNet etc.) faster is quite a big deal - it's a foundational model leveraged by a huge number of other practitioners and (increasingly) commercial products because they're baked into the tools we use every day. If we can train it faster - train it *bigger* - all the subsidiary models get better along with it.

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

Re: When will A.I. learning be made portable?

Oh, okay. So it's 2018 and they're starting down this road? That's great...

Maybe somebody could package-up the "Recognize Fixed Objects" transfer learning module, and email a copy over to the Self-Driving Car folks. Might help with the suicidal A.I. self-crashing technology.

A.I. (the industry) is about as well managed as the 'Too Cheap To Meter' fusion power industry. I suppose they both provide employment, even if their practical outputs are decades behind where they could be...

Now, get back to work.

2. onefang
    Coat

So smiling and laughing gains you a point, but what about puns, are groans pointless, or do they earn you a punt?

It's way too early in the morning to come up with anything better.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like