back to article You've heard of Michael 'Air' Jordan – well, get ready for 'AI-R' Jordan

Skynet is getting closer. Ish. Artificially intelligent software has now picked up a devastating new skill after observing humans. It can now, er, dribble a basketball. Boomshakalaka! A pair of brainiacs – Jessica Hodgins at Carnegie Mellon University in the US and Libin Liu at DeepMotion, a Silicon Valley startup creating …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Except that the computer is not actually dribbling a basketball...

Just making a somewhat more realistic-looking version of NBA Live. I'd be more impressed with a robot, like one of those scary Boston Robotics units, that had great basketball handles...

And can our future AI overlords ever really be "en fuego"? I don't think so.

2. big_D Silver badge
    Boffin

Big hands...

Do all basketball players have such overdeveloped hands? They are unproportionally big and the fingers too long for the body of the "player". Creepy.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

Oh great

Now we're going to need a frakking supercomputer to play the next version of Crysis . . .

4. Snowy Silver badge
    FAIL

Sure

Looks realistic to me /sarcasm

5. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

Too easy

Any videos of the Artiste formerly known as "Jordon" dribbling a basket ball that can be used for training? It's a more "complex" dataset, with the need to consider the independent motion of (Bulgarian) air bags...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like