back to article Oz government offers privacy concessions on MyHealth Record

Australia's peak medical bodies have won some concessions over the privacy of the country's MyHealth Record, and the government says it will extend the opt-out period to mid-November, but it's unlikely to end the hostile debate over the initiative. Overnight, Health Minister Greg Hunt announced that the government would amend …

1. Magani
    Unhappy

It looks like we're doing something. Doesn't it?

More governmental band-aiding without any suggestion of making MyHealth more secure. Next up will be the claim that the current system hasn't been breached. It's easy to say that a system is secure because it is until it isn't, if you see what I mean.

Sorry, Canberra, but with the current players in the game, I have no warm and/or fuzzy feelings about this at all. A warrant from a beak will not worry those with evil or dubious fiscal intent, (or just plain ineptitude) one little bit.

Those wishing to opt out, please form an orderly queue behind me...

1. The Central Scrutinizer

Re: It looks like we're doing something. Doesn't it?

Opted out on day one. Next!

2. eldakka

Sorry, Canberra, ...

Canberra is a city of approximately 400k people, of which only 226 are federal politicians, and of those only 4 are residents of Canberra (the other 222 or so being residents of their respective electorates).

Stop blaming the 400k residents of the city of Canberra for the decisions made by those 222 non-residents.

1. Magani
        Meh

Stop blaming the 400k residents of the city of Canberra for the decisions made by those 222 non-residents.

While I appreciate your going to bat for the good citizens of Canberra, pollies don't make decisions on their own. They are aided and abetted by the public service which, according to the ABC last year, comprises 32% of the ACT's total workforce. Consequently, I'm only blaming around 128K of the residents of Canberra.

Seriously, I like the place and used to live there.

2. Sampler

Opt out

https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/for-you-your-family/opt-out-my-health-record

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Facepalm

"Labor’s 2012 My Health Record legislation will be strengthened"

AKA: Big boys did it, then ran away.

Hunt is not fit.

Take some responsibility man!

1. Dagg Silver badge

Re: "Labor’s 2012 My Health Record legislation will be strengthened"

And how close is the current legislation to the original that Labor came up with?

What sort of changes did the coalition make?

Were these changes the ones that caused the privacy red flags?

If this is exactly the same as the original labor legislation then why the hell did you lot pass it?

Classic blame everyone else.

1. david 12 Silver badge

Re: "Labor’s 2012 My Health Record legislation will be strengthened"

It was amended in 2015 (Health Legislation Amendment (eHealth) Act 2015) to include "Health Care Organization" along with "Health Care Provider". The rest was just renaming crap.

There are a heap of amendments from omnibus amendment acts that cover things like changing the word "record" to "records", and, I think, under current parliamentary practice, can't include anything interesting. I haven't examined them.

4. Mayday
    Mushroom

Too late

Mine is opted out, as should everyone else's. Never to return.

Unless they surreptitiously and mandatory reintroduce this "new and improved" version which I will also opt out from (should it occur).

5. cantankerous swineherd

kelsey's money making scheme still intact.

6. john.jones.name

any INSURANCE COMPANY can access ANY RECORD !

they can access your record then save the results...

are they completely nuts... this will go wrong very very wrong

better sort out the insurance company access before you do anything else or you will find past MP's denied insurance !!

7. julian.smith

GPDR Compliant?

I'm on my way OUT

Call me when it's GPDR compliant and I'll consider it

8. bd1235

I'm out

I got out on day one and never going back. Would you willingly trust those politicians and the pubic circus with your health data?

9. sanmigueelbeer
    Happy

To the last person to opt-out: Please don't forget to turn off the lights. TYVM

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This was the straw that scared the crap out of me. An article in SMH where the NIB CEO came out and said the below.

"Private health insurers say this data could be a way to manage higher health insurance claims being made by an ageing population and associated rising premiums"

https://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/we-desperately-need-this-data-nib-boss-wants-members-digital-health-records-20180719-p4zsha.html

Gattaca anyone? Just another way to increase their profits or deny people insurance in high risk categories

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon