back to article Early experiment in mass email ends with mad dash across office to unplug mail gateway

It's Monday morning and we've all been buried under the avalanche of emails we abandoned at pub o'clock last week. Take solace in the latest instalment of Who, Me?, where Reg readers confess their past blunders. And email is the name of the game this week. Reader "Steve" tells us about the time he was a sysadmin at a small …

Page:

1. Major N

My colleague tells a tale of the time he was working for a company that prepared and sent mailshots for external clients, to a mix of commercial and private entities in a database. As part of the data cleansing for people, one of the tasks was to perform a find and replace for the word 'The' at the start of names of people and businesses, and putting it at the end, so The Reverend Green would become 'Reverend Green, The' and so on. They got a new member of staff in, and gave him this task.

Unfortunately, said new MoS misunderstood his instructions, and instead of finding and moving 'The ' from the start of company and person names, he just removed the three characters 'the' from all names in the database, and sent them off to print, thinking nothing of it.

The first they knew of it was when one of their clients rang up, very angry, as they had just had a call themselves from a very upset customer demanding to know why they'd sent a letter to their animal therapy company addressed to 'Horse Rapist'.....

(Note: This may be apocryphal, as it is a third hand tale. But it's still damn funny.)

1. Aladdin Sane

Reminds me of the old website for finding a therapist.

1. jake Silver badge

Reminds me of ...

... AOL learning to filter "naughty words" and promptly causing Scunthorp to disappear. And several dozen other similar things that have happened over the years. It's the natural result of a million monkeys with a million keybr0ads being set loose on an unsuspecting Internet with little to no training. Or concept, for that matter.

1. Paul 25

Re: Reminds me of ...

My personal favourite is the news website that had a similar system to enforce its style guide, which included using the word "homosexual" rather than "gay". This was all fine until someone on the sports desk wrote an article about the sprinter Tyson Gay...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

As Paul 25 mentions:

Tyson Homosexual was a blur in blue, sprinting 100 meters faster than anyone ever has.

His time of 9.68 seconds at the U.S. Olympic trials Sunday doesn't count as a world record, because it was run with the help of a too-strong tailwind. Here's what does matter: Homosexual qualified for his first Summer Games team and served notice he's certainly someone to watch in Beijing.

“It means a lot to me,” the 25-year-old Homosexual said. “I'm glad my body could do it, because now I know I have it in me.”

- One News Now, outlet of American Family Association

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

When I was at school, back in the early sixties, just as the word Gay became synonymous with homosexuality, one of my classmates committed suicide because his surname was Gay.

1. BoldMan

The old "Scunthorpe" problem , or in France the Marseille problem and in the US the Massachusetts problem!

I once had to write a profanity filter for a company and spent ages persuading them NOT to profanity check addresses otherwise anyone who lived on Dick Turpin Lane or wanted to find the Two Cocks pub would disapointed!

2. Flywheel
          FAIL

Scunthorpe? Ah, those were the days. I also had problems with "sniggering" which was kindly autocorrected to "sblackpersoning"

3. Outski

"...promptly causing Scunthorp to disappear"

Hence why Scunthorpe United are sometimes referred to as Firewall FC

4. wayne 8

I know of one current blog where the triad "tit" anywhere within a comment will make the comment queue for moderation. "Constitution", "constituent", "titular", "title", all earn a timeout.

Scunthorp would probably trigger the same reaction.

AI, machine intelligence, so smart.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Scunthorp would probably trigger the same reaction."

As did several of my customers:

Messrs Haycock, Cocks and Cockeram

yes, really. *sigh*

1. Mike Timbers

An online grocery customer complained at not receiving their order confirmation email; investigations showed that the receiving school email system was rejecting the mail for "profanity". Much scratching of heads finally twigged that the customer had ordered "two chicken breasts".

5. Sam Jelfs

Some years ago when I was applying for university places my 6th form had recently installed a new content filter, which would be fine if it didn't block the websites of universities such as Sussex, Essex, middlesex and the like.

6. ricardian

and Penistone.

2. 's water music
        Pint

Reminds me of the old website for finding a therapist.

it's enough to make you miss NTK

They deserve one--->

1. Korev Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Upvote for NTK

They even used to host the early BOFHs

2. Stork Silver badge

Or the sites for Pen Island, or Powergen Italia.

1. D-Coder

Can't believe no one on this site has mentioned the canonical version:

The badword filter that removed references to Scunthorpe, Arsenal, and Manchester Fucking United.

3. Locky

@Aladdin Sane

And who among us has never used expertsexchange?

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: @Aladdin Sane

[raises hand]

ExpertSexChange were really good at spamming Google links back in the day, but they were, and probably still are, utterly useless.

4. Jaspa

And Experts Exchange since hyphenated. You think they would have known better.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or that one where "experts" exchanged info to help solve problems

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"sent a letter to their animal therapy company addressed to 'Horse Rapist'....."

Otherwise known as "No NO NO - fix that sign, psychotherapist is ONE word, NOT three"

1. Major N

"I was the world's first combined Analyst and Therapist... The business cards were a mistake..."

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"There are dozens of us! Dozens!"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Funny how we don't learn

Had similar very recently - system automatically puts a keyword (start of line, in upper case and followed by dash) in comments and other systems pick it out as trigger - works ok for such a cludged process. Well untill the newly developed system took over and ignores the keyword context/case etc. so suddenly we have the trigger going off for keyword being in a name - I'll am sure you can guess what sort of development teams we have to use now

4. DavCrav

Something similar with less disastrous consequences happened with our mailing list: we wanted to remove all 'Dr' at the start of people's names for a conference. So the person deleted all instances of 'Dr' in the name field, not even case sensitive. Well, that's great unless your name is Andrew, or in one case the newly named 'Alessano'. Nobody noticed until people pointed it out on their name badges.

2. jake Silver badge

I've seen and/or heard of many folks ...

... doing an emergency powerectomy on servers. Bulk email boo-boos were almost common for a while, and of course we all know about recursive file deletion when in the wrong directory ... One Friday afternoon I actually watched a so-called Sr. Sysadmin unleash a network aware trojan on a 100,000+ seat network while demonstrating what NOT to do to his underlings. Unplugging servers didn't help with that one, but he tried. Oh, how he tried. I was there for an unrelated reason (consultant, drawing up an upgrade for the datacenter), and was nominated to clean up the problem without having to bid on it. Took all weekend, and I had to call in a couple friends to help, but the company gratefully paid my "emergency services" bill on Monday morning. Quite lucrative, that kind of work.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: I've seen and/or heard of many folks ...

Did you give the Sr. Sysadmin a finder's fee?

1. jake Silver badge

No on the finder's fee. But after talking to him, and deciding I could work with him on the system upgrade, I convinced his Boss not to fire him.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. phuzz Silver badge

A power-ectomy is one option, but I've always tried to go for the network cable first. It might have made stopping the email a bit more tricky, but it avoids the risks of data-corruption and head crashes that just yanking the power might cause.

1. jake Silver badge

Some of us grew up with properly bolted down network cables. The power cord was by far the fastest, and thus the only, option in these cases. Data corruption was bad, so we took steps to guard against it. Disk crashes were always hardware failure, and thus the fault of the vendor.

4. onefang
      FAIL

"we all know about recursive file deletion when in the wrong directory"

I did that last weekend. I had created a temporary directory in my home directory on my server, filled it with files, then SCPed the lot to my home computer. Since it was only temporary, I then deleted it. Only some network glitch, or perhaps a keyboard bounce, or just plain fat fingers meant I was doing it in the home directory instead, one level up from where I thought I was. Though I noticed a couple of seconds later, and desperately tried to abort the delete, it was too late, everything in my home directory was gone. I still had mc open on that directory in another tmux session, which confirm my suspicion that there was nothing important there anyway. Important stuff on that server actually gets backed up in several places.

3. jmch Silver badge
    Thumb Up

By the way...

Welcome to On Call, Rebecca!

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Target fixation!

The aptly named "Fixation Rock" is coming up on the right:

https://youtu.be/TthMG8qeKOo?t=855

Folks misjudge the corner and stare their way into the rock, from either direction. I knew one guy who hit it once from each side; sadly he didn't survive it the second time. Helpful hint: Look in the direction you want the vehicle to go, muscle memory usually takes over. Works with horses, too.

Now you know why skid-marks on freeways often point unerringly at immovable objects. (Note: What looks like a recent skid mark in that video is actually the shadow of overhead wires.)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Dave 126 Silver badge

Beaver College changed its name to Arcadia University in part because of overeager web filters, with smutty jokes providing the rest of the motivation.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/11/23/web_filters_force_beaver_college/

I note that Wikipedia makes no mention of this reason for the name change - are there any wiki editors reading this? The story was reported in dead tree news outlets and the BBC at the time if you want to cite a source other than The Reg.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Martin an gof Silver badge

They could, of course, have had the best of both worlds - changing the spelling but keeping the pronunciation, as in the Leicestershire village of Belvoir.

Similar problem placenames include Beaulieu (“bewley”) and Alnwich (“anick”) :-)

M.

1. Aladdin Sane

It's funning listening to tourists (invariably left-pondians) trying to pronounce Worcestershire and Leicestershire.

1. 's water music

It's funning listening to tourists (invariably left-pondians) trying to pronounce Worcestershire and Leicestershire.

As amusing as listening to One-Of-Us mispronouncing Dionne Warwick no doubt

2. Waseem Alkurdi

Let me try: is it the "c" being some sort of a "sh" instead of a "c"?

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
            Coat

yeah , they cant even get the c to sound like a sh even when theres a handy h after it to help out.

e.g. chassis

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Let me try: is it the "c" being some sort of a "sh" instead of a "c"?

No, it's pronouncing the "ces" as a distinct syllable.

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
              Childcatcher

Over this side, Worcester is pronounced "WOO-stah".

And Quincy is "KWIN-zee".

Welcome to dear old Boston,

The land of the bean and the cod.

Where Lowells speak only to Cabots,

And Cabots speak only to God.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: Come on Reg

...and Athol is pronounced just like it's spelled. Sadly.

2. jake Silver badge

Cabot?

Is that the AI in your automobile? Pahked in the Hahvad Yahd, of course.

3. MJB7

Re: Let me try

The city of Leicester is pronounced exactly the same as Lester Haines' first name. The city of Worcester is pronounced pretty much the same as Bertie Wooster's last name (except this is slightly more confusing: the stress is on the last syllable, and the "oo" is a bit more of an indeterminate vowel).

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like