back to article BT boosted by punters and sport – as it preps to squeeze subs harder

BT Group enjoyed a minor tick upwards in share price as the British telco published slightly better than expected figures for first FY19 quarter ended 30 June. While total revenues were down 2 per cent – at £5.72bn – compared to the same period last year, pre-tax profits were up 3 per cent to £816m. It also reported today …

1. macjules
    FAIL

Still no word on the identity of the next BT boss

I know, let'e make Nick Jeffrey CEO of BT! After all, he is doing such a GREAT job at Vodafone - replacing customer services with chatbots, helping to run the company into the ground "virtual profitability" and so on.

Sounds like the ideal candidate to help water the white elephant.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"There was still no word on the identity of the next BT boss. "

Looks at salary and bonus scheme, share options and the rest of the package - I'll do it - just for the year mind...

1. DJV Silver badge
      Happy

A year?

Way too long - be a bungee boss and get it down to a few seconds!

http://dilbert.com/strip/1994-09-07

3. Craig 2

Openreach should bill customers for the physical line. BT provide a phone service and useless sports coverage. Nothing might change financially but at least it would make sense of the service most people actually want these days. (A line for their broadband, nothing else)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BTWholesale charges line rental 'twice' on day of migration.

BT Group have a nice little ruse going. When I migrated Broadband to Sky, both BTRetail and Sky charged line rental on the migration day, yet that service is provided by BTWholesale for both companies, where I live.

BTWholesale, are in effect, charging twice for line rental on the switchover migration day. How does BT account for that?, Multiplied over millions of customers, that's a nice little earner of 0.65 pence per customer.

i.e. several million quid over their wholesale customer base, per year.

Ofcom, as usual, turning a blind eye to this type of 'fraud', when migration between services is supposed to be free, without additional charge.

Ironic, because on the one day you have very little service, BT get twice the amount.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BTWholesale charges line rental 'twice' on day of migration.

Multiplied over millions of customers, that's a nice little earner of 0.65 pence per customer.

In rough terms, Openreach have what, 17m domestic customers? Switching is around 25% per annum,

so the double charging on final/first day line rental adds up to around £3m quid a year. In the grand scheme that's peanuts, on the other hand it is the unearned, undeserved nature that would stick in the craw.

I say "would" because I'm the expensive and shoddy Vermin Media, and if you think OR help themselves to money they haven't earned, you should see how VM excel in that department.

1. Wolfclaw

VM make BT look like a respectable, reliable and efficient commmunications company !

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

VM make BT look like a respectable, reliable and efficient commmunications company

We had a Vermin Media sales type call at the front door a while back (they've just finished filling in all the bits of the street that didn't have cable provision) and he got subjected to about 5 minutes of "why I would never give my business to VM"..

At the conclusion of which he (calmly - to his credit) just said "I'll put you down for a 'firm no' then shall I?".

He was actually quite a nice bloke, trapped in an evil job pimping for the Evil Overlords..

1. Slef

And BT staff are better? Having terminated service with both companies in the not too distant past I would say that VM were a pleasure to deal with compared to the lying cheating company that we used to own! I would never have a telephone conversation with BT without recording it!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

BT results boosted by consumer unit as it preps to squeeze it harder

Switching from a 9 month to an 8 month year for the "annual" price rise??

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bought BT Sport (shame on me I know)

I wanted to watch The Ashes around Christmas/New Year and for me it was only legally available on BT Sport.

So I bit the bullet and paid for a year's subscription.

Big mistake.

When I had problems (there were many) and tried to contact them I nearly always got through to an Indian call centre where I couldn't make myself understood, nor could I understand them most of the time..

When I finally got through to a UK call centre I was given a very useful piece of advice.

Call the phone number on your bill not the one on the website. Calling the number on the bill does in my experience get you through to a UK call centre.

So if you are still with BT that might be useful advice for you.

Luckily for me when they hiked the prices that gave me a get out on my contract which I jumped at.

When I cancelled they asked me if the increase in price was the reason for me wandering off in to the distance. The only enjoyable part of the whole BT 'experience' was telling them no, I'm leaving because your customer service is terrible. I can easily afford to pay I just won't pay for a bad service.

Ah, that feels better.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: I bought BT Sport (shame on me I know)

@Keef

"I wanted to watch The Ashes around Christmas/New Year and for me it was only legally available on BT Sport.

So I bit the bullet and paid for a year's subscription."...

" I'm leaving because your customer service is terrible. I can easily afford to pay I just won't pay for a bad service."

And that is why illegal downloads / content access continues, even if someone is able to pay the (often extortionate price) of their niche interest, the whole experience of whichever "ecosystem" you had to buy into usually is so bad that you give up.

.. Only time I see any cricket now is in the gym or pub as they often show various sky sports channels

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>And that is why illegal downloads / content access continues, even if someone is able to pay the (often extortionate price) of their niche interest, the whole experience of whichever "ecosystem" you had to buy into usually is so bad that you give up.

The same reason I have never paid a penny to Sly, I refuse to pay for TV programmes which are then heavily laced with advertising. It's like paying twice for the same thing. Its made worse by the fact that Sly produce very little original content, I'm happy to rip off the Dirty Digger and his crew.

8. internet user

BT TV was more hassle than it was worth any way, all the good stuff about BT is no longer worth paying the high price for IMHO there are loads of cheaper fibre deals now and who needs 18month TV subscriptions.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon