back to article Sorry, Neil Armstrong. Boffins say you may not have been first life-form to set foot on the Moon

The Moon may not have been as desolate as it is today – and could have supported life on its surface after its formation some four billion years ago. This revelation comes just days after the anniversary of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin setting foot on the Moon, a first for humankind, on July 20, 1969. A paper published in …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Good!

I personally am looking forward to the comely moon-maidens that 50's B-movies promised me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good!

What about the Nazi moon base that was set up after WWII? There was that film about it a couple of years ago - Iron Skies

1. Steven Raith

And it's a ton of fun.

There's a sequel on the way, although it's been delayed till next year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Sky:_The_Coming_Race (sort yer own hyperlinks out)

Thanks for reminding me of that, think I know what I'll be watching tonight.

Steven R

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. iron Silver badge

There's even a sequel coming in January next year: https://youtu.be/ZHz_X8xtrWg

2. Michael Habel

They aimed for the Moon alright. But, alas Wernher Von Braun wasn't there anymore, and ended up hitting Bruxelles instead.

And, yet there are plenty of nutterz out there saying how great it would be... (For there Wallets), to get back into bed with that lot. Me? I still wondering if anyone was awake for History 101 after getting the Memo about how jolly rotten that little man with the funny looking mustash was?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They aimed for the Moon alright. But, alas Wernher Von Braun wasn't there anymore, and ended up hitting Bruxelles instead.

"Once rockets are up, who cares where they come down? That's not my department", said Wernher von Braun

3. Hollerithevo

Iron Skies -- I believe Heinlein wrote of this idea first?

4. jelabarre59

What about the Nazi moon base that was set up after WWII? There was that film about it a couple of years ago - Iron Skies

I'd rather think about Shado's moonbase... Mini-skirts and purple-haired women...

5. Efer Brick

Do they have a shark aquarium too?

2. SilverCommentard

Surely this just proves what we've always known, otherwise how do you explain the Clangers?

1. Teiwaz

otherwise how do you explain the Clangers?

I hope not, some things are best left a wonderful mystery, despite the opportunity to solve world hunger by capturing a soup dragon.

2. Scroticus Canis
        Boffin

Re: Good! - "how do you explain the Clangers?"

So the cyanobacteria, also known as blue-green algae, could account for the veins in the blue-cheese it's made of. It all starts to make sense at last.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Good! - "how do you explain the Clangers?"

Sounds like an excuse to post this NASA Fakes Moon Landing! Photographic Proof!

3. Teiwaz

Coming soon on History Channel (and youtube about five minutes after broadcast)- some nutjob tries to prove the garden of eden was on the moon.

2. Pete4000uk

What about

The aliens on the dark side, do they count?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: What about

"There is no dark side of the moon really.

Matter of fact it's all dark."

four more years and it will be 50 years since I first heard those lyrics.

1. Roger Greenwood

1. That means you heard it before it was released (impressed).

2. Damn we're old.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: That means you heard it before it was released

Pink Floyd played an early version of it during their 'Tour 72' (Jan - Feb 1972). I was in the audience at Brighton Dome on 20th Jan 1972 and again at The Rainbow on 18th Feb. DSOTM was called Eclipse at the time but another band brought out an Album of the same name so they changed it.

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

'Eclipse' seemed to be the album title of choice for a couple of years around the '71 and '72 eclipses. I would guess the 1973 Jade Warrior album was the conflicting one ... Can't believe a fundamentally experimental album is still being talked about and apparently still selling well nearly fifty years after its release. Also can't understand why there was not a single PF album in the second hand record shop I found the other day ... Genesis, Yes, ELP, Tomita but not a hint of Pinkness anywhere ...

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Also can't understand why there was not a single PF album in the second hand record shop I found the other day

I assume they all got worn out playing them.

1. Aladdin Sane

Or people don't get rid of them.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Or people don't get rid of them."

Or demand a wall around them... Paid for by them by proxy of one's own populace.

2. JohnFen

"Also can't understand why there was not a single PF album in the second hand record shop"

Because Pink Floyd remains a top seller to this day. Particularly the albums before Waters left.

3. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Can't believe a fundamentally experimental album is still being talked about and apparently still selling well nearly fifty years after its release."

Well, there were those Beatles and a certain White Album I owned. Alas, the kids managed to get it stolen while I was away at some tiff in a certain Gulf...

But, for 'Eclipse', I was 10 or 11...

Now, knees are gone, back is gone and BTW, is it the memory or something else that goes first and what's the other thing?

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

@Pete4000uk "The aliens on the dark side, do they count?"

Only Money.

3. Chris G

One tiny ooze

For Slimekind!

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Meh

The clue is in the term

"Mankind"

(gender neutral by today's standards)

5. SuccessCase

Anthropod Neil Armstrong *was* the first to set foot on the moon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't know if Armstrong would have take offense in being called as such... regardless if you wished to write arthropod or anthropoid...

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

"set foot"

Neil Armstrong had feet , i'm guessing the microbes didnt.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "set foot"

"Arthropod" refers to crabs, spiders and insects - not to any being with feet :-)

While astronauts wore a kind of exoskeleton, and the LM was spider-like, I'm not sure they would like to be called that way...

1. JohnFen

An "Arthropod" is an animal with a jointed exoskeleton, but the word itself means "jointed foot".

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Eltonga
              Headmaster

Hmmmm... not actually an exoskeleton. More like an exoskin but that's totally unnecessary. An exoskeleton has physical support function that an astronaut nor any other kind of suit has not.

2. MrReal

Mankind hasn't visited the moon yet, much less some psyop from Langley.

NASA provides zero proof of the trip, just their 'word', some bizarre photos and videos and improbable lumps of hardware.

Even the article's photo is ridiculous, look past the lander: where's the ground gone?'. In all photos there is a maximum of around 30 feet of ground past the lander. This is because they are shot in the Borehamwood 2001 and UFO lunar surface sound stages that are of limited size. This is true from all angles.

Later 'mission' photos were shot in the US desert and you can see the difference with the ground not being chopped off, but A11 photos all look silly, pool of light low surface area shots.

NASA may have struggled into LEO with gemini but all the capsules from Apollo were pushed out of the back of a transport plane (the reason they all landed about 1 mile from the press boat each time - even the 'notepad' Apollo 13 one). The chances of Apollo 13 landing even in the Atlantic? Zero. Simple maths.

1. JulieM Silver badge

What a pity I can only downvote you once.

1. MrReal

Downvote away, I'm sure it's a good substitute for proof or discussion, neither of which you appear able to provide.

There is no proof for Apollo. None.

1. JulieM Silver badge

Yes there is.

That reflector.

6. AceRimmer1980
    Alien

Primordial soup dragons.

7. werdsmith Silver badge

Robust surviving earthly bacteria on the feet of the lunar module would have touched the lunar surface before the Armstrong moon-boot.

1. ninjaturtle
      Coat

Well they can't set foot without feet..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Well they can't set foot without feet.."

Do pseudopodia count?

1. DJV Silver badge

"Do pseudopodia count?"

I asked one once, he formed a middle finger at me. So I suppose the answer is: "at least as far as one."

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Robust surviving earthly bacteria on the feet of the lunar module would have touched the lunar surface before the Armstrong moon-boot."

Robust earthly-bacteria from a technician's sneeze are believed to have survived on the surface long enough to be _brought back_ when Pete Conrad chopped off Surveyor 3's camera in 1969. (This is controversial because it wasn't properly isolated during the return process but on the flipside only a few hundred bacteria of a single species were isolated vs the millions of various species you'd expect if it was the result of cross-contamination)

This tends to indicate they went there with the first probes.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

"the feet of the lunar module"

Maybe the LM landed on the last surviving life form on the Moon....

1. pɹɐʍoɔ snoɯʎuouɐ
        Facepalm

Re: "the feet of the lunar module"

"Maybe the LM landed on the last surviving life form on the Moon....

i now have a mental image of a Monty Python type animation depicting the above scene, along with whoopee cushion sound effects....

8. _LC_
    Facepalm

This could explain the excess atmosphere, I guess.

Apollo 15:

https://youtu.be/TXs2UfPv39s?t=270

1. Mystic Megabyte

Re: This could explain the excess atmosphere, I guess.

More likely an attraction by static electricity. Keine luft!

1. _LC_

Re: This could explain the excess atmosphere, I guess.

Nope. Doesn't fit to that movement. We could argue about the distance being to big for that, but since it doesn't even fit to the movement to begin with...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon