back to article Google answers 'Why Google Cloud?' with services and spectacle

Amid ongoing renovations at San Francisco's Moscone Convention Center, Google Cloud Next '18 opened on Tuesday, the scent of new carpeting and paint still lingering in the air. Rebranded in 2016, what was previously a modest, unassuming tech gathering has been stuffed with cash and transformed into a top tier show, one that …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Errmmmm...

...so for marketing purposes they have a recommendation from the CIO of a company responsible for one of the biggest data breaches in history? Yeah, so all the people have changed...but in my experience leopards don't change their spots. On the bright side, this should be a warning to others.

Grizzled IT pro: "The clowns at Target use cloud. Doesn't that mean we should stay away and keep things controlled and "on prem"?

CIO: "Don't worry son, IT infrastructure is only a cost, and if it all goes shit shaped it's only customer data that gets lost. We'll go cloud."

2. Mark 85

Why Google Cloud? Greene brought Target CIO Mike McNamara on stage to answer that question.

After the Target hack of 2014, I wonder if he was the wisest choice for this. Maybe his company learned something from that?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it just me

or are Google now replacing Innovation with Hyperbollocks ?

4. Version 1.0 Silver badge

They are getting desperate

I've been getting emails and free gifts in the mail from Google for a while now - a couple of weeks ago they sent me a padded sleeve for a Chrome-book, yesterday they called and wanted me to accept a free Chrome-book if I'd just listen to their crap for a couple of hours.

Sorry, too busy with the normal office crap to add their Cloud to it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They are getting desperate

Take it, you don't have to actually pay attention. My son got two Chromebooks from them for listening to an hours sales pitch. It's now his personal laptop, ideal for hangouts, watching netflix etc...

And, if all else fails, you can wipe it and put a PROPER linux on there!

5. WibbleMe

For years, its been noticeable that google does not do marketing that well, and perhaps resulting a a lack of communication of what Google can do for you and your business. However I am a user of Google Cloud, and I have to say I am quite happy with it.

My usage includes Storage for static images/CDN, Compute for web instances for WordPress and Node, and Firebase/Firestore for Apps (Angular-CLI/Node.js and Mobile Apps) and Firestore for static website (.html) hosting. I have to say I am pleased with the results such as performance and cost. Compared to AWS the way you create and run instances are quite different, so it is hard to compare like for like on smaller instances. I prefer Google Cloud because of the way you can manage each project easily, including separate billing.

For anyone who is curious, you can sign up for Google Cloud and get $150 dollars worth of usage with out paying anything, so say a small WordPress instance with Bitnami would cost $6 a month to run, that's a nice bit of free hosting.

The only downside is that Goole are funny about outgoing emails as they hate spam, though you can send emails via a Google email account credentials (SMTP).

6. iron Silver badge

"Google... We're told it's trustworthy"

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

* BONK! *

Oh dear I seem to have laughed my head off.

1. WibbleMe

And trustworthy because....

Compared to AWS and MS Cloud services wobbles/down time, I still remember when MS forgot to renew its own SSL certificate for office cloud services.

1. sabroni Silver badge

re: Compared to AWS and MS Cloud services wobbles/down time

I don't think that's the kind of trust we're talking about (not that google's cloud seems to be particularly robust if the articles on here are anything to go by).

The question is whether Google can be trusted to not try and monetise your data. Going on previous the answer to that is no.

7. Aodhhan

Try doing this away from SFO

One of these days, they are going to start doing things away from the bay area.

San Fran has become a crap hole lately, especially in the downtown area. I wouldn't attend a conference there again if they paid for the entire trip.

I'd rather deal with the crowd in Las Vegas or traffic in Chicago than to put up with the smell and sights of downtown San Francisco.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like