back to article Montezuma's Revenge still too tough for AI, new Google Brain office, and other bits and bytes

Hello, here are some quick AI announcements from this week. A researcher reminds us to be wary of the hype around Montezuma's Revenge, there are some new framework updates from Google and Microsoft, and a new Google Brain office in Amsterdam. Montezuma’s Revenge isn’t solved yet: OpenAI and DeepMind researchers have boasted …

1. Chronos

“Every time a human or agent plays Montezuma’s Revenge, they are presented with the exact same set of rooms, each containing the exact same set of obstacles and puzzles. As such, the simple memorization of the movements through each room is enough to lead to a high-score, and the ability to complete the level.”

Yup, I could get Chuckie Egg II up to double figure levels with my eyes closed on the Beeb just by muscle memory and the sound of Harry's footstep clicks, which was sort of my party trick at school; yes, I was very popular - not - but it beat playing the Beverly Hills Cop tune on the black keys of a Casio or making my calculator watch print "BOOBLESS", things that seemed to be all the rage for the in-crowd at the time.

If I dug the Beeb out, assuming it still powers up and the Watfraud EPROM board still has the CEII ROM in it, it would probably take just two or three runs through to bring that 30+ year old muscle memory back. There is also a high probability that I would utterly fail on an emulator with a standard 105 key keyboard.

This is probably not intelligent at all, including when I was doing it as a snotty-nosed kid. Nice work if you can get it, though.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Montezuma's revenge

I thought it was what I got after eating the hotel chicken in Mexico. It's funny how places stick in your mind forty years on.

3. Medical Cynic

I thought this would be about AI in medicine! The 'bot doesn't understand when the patient complains of said affliction!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like