back to article Freshly baked storage: Take a pinch of Intel Skylake silicon, some flash powder, sprinkle into IBM's FlashSystem

IBM today added new models to its FlashSystem line to more than double the family's maximum capacity, push performance higher with Intel Skylake processors, and strengthen its NVMe-over-fabrics capabilities. There are two new systems on offer: the 9100 and the 9150. Both come in 2U enclosures with active:active controllers, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So are these SVC with flush underneath like v9000? Have they ditched the xiv code?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Flush=flash obviously. Phone autocorrect which I spotted as I pressed post. I thought we were supposed to get 10 mins to make edits..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I kinda like flush better.

2. flyguy959

I think it has SVC code running in it, but unlike the v9k, there's no actual svc nodes plumbed to a 900 all shoved behind a giant bezel and has added dedupe. Less wiring and complexity. This looks to me to be IBMs first real purpose built dual controller AFA. not a v storwize w/flash.

2. P.B. Lecavalier

x86 really?

And I thought that IBM was completely out of the x86 business. Silly me.

3. Korev Silver badge
    Alien

Power?

Any idea why they're not using their own Power CPUs?

1. Uncle Ron

Re: Power?

IMHO, POWER chips would be more expensive and not add value to I/O operations. POWER chips are real computer chips, not just high density switches.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IBM says that the new product line is 100% NVMe end-to-end

...ahem, "12 Gb SAS ports for expansion enclosure attachment".

So IBM should say that the new product line is nearly 100% NVMe end-to-end, with expansion at the speed of (12 Gb) SAS.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like