back to article Microsoft slows Dynamics 365 update cadence

Microsoft’s announced a new twice-annual release cadence for Dynamics 365, its cloudy CRM/ERP service. Corporate veep and COO for business application engineering Mo Osborne has pitched the change as “modernizing” Microsoft’s efforts by making a new release every April and October. “Our new update cadence aims to lower …

1. Trixr

Call me old-fashioned

...but I'd rather have quality updates rather than updates released for the sake of some marketing cadence.

1. fait

Re: Call me old-fashioned

I wish Redmond would make security and bug fixes mandatory and make the rest of their "improvements" optional. Their bi-annual push-out of scantily-tested "improvements" is painful to a development project. Their "improvements" have cost my shop a bundle in extra troubleshooting and testing, and they've made managing our test beds nearly impossible.

I'd ask for an improvement of the way that they "improve our experience", but I'm afraid of how much worse it could get. It was much easier to work around and among all of these "improvements" when they came out as service packs.

2. jeepster798

Cadence is not the point here - compulsion is the point

This key element of this announcement is not the cadence of releases - it is the fact that ERP users will get updates whether they want them or not. Having a Windows 10 or Outlook software update forced on you is not the same as having an ERP update imposed unilaterally. ERP systems are complex multi-functional mission critical business applications, many of which have been uniquely adapted and configured to match the customer's business functions. If things go wrong or don't function as expected, businesses go bust and people lose their jobs.

Upgrading software versions in ERP often require a project with work-streams for process and data review, regression testing, code obsolescence and change management. There should also be regular readiness assessments and roll-back plans for when it goes wrong. There are major resource staffing issues around these projects and all the expense that goes with that resource. Given a choice, most business would just say no thank you to push-updates and all the risk that they entail. Business commonly elect to forego updates and upgrades because they are too expensive and risky.

Suggesting this approach shows Microsoft's ignorance of the ERP world and could lead to mass-desertions by existing customers plus difficulties in selling the D365 product against other less pushy vendors.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like