back to article iPhone 8 now outsells X, and every other phone

One day Apple may look back on its great iPhone X adventure and view it as an embarrassing midlife crisis, like running off with the au pair. The iPhone 8, based on a four-year-old design, was the best-selling phone in the world in May, according to Counterpoint Research. Samsung's Galaxy S9 Plus took second place. The X still …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The 8 does prove a point

A 4.7 inch medium resolution display is enough for an awful lot of people.

As a skinflint who detests the single button I stick with Sony compacts - very similar in format but slightly smaller in relation to screen size. It isn't ideal for everybody but this is a case where I agree Jobs was right. And didn't Eric Schmidt more or less agree with him?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: The 8 does prove a point

Concur,

My last two phones were 5 inch (Aqua M4 and XA1) and I wil gladly go down to 4.7. 5 is too bleeping big and too high risk of damage from bending. Phone in the pocket at the wrong angle and/or the trousers too tight and crack... across the screen. No thanks - if there will be a decent 4.2-4.7 when I change it next time I am getting that instead.

More than 5? Forget it.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I chose an Xperia Z3 Compact due to its pocket friendly size and excellent battery life. When it died through accident I found a Nexus 5 to be light and slim enough not to be a pain in the trouser - though the battery was awful. Still, for a plastic it bounced and survived many drops into concrete - until the day it didn't.

A few years on I use my phone for more tasks than I did then, and I don't find the size of a Galaxy S8 (in a chunky case) that inconvenient. Like the Sony I appreciate the waterproofing. I was tempted by an iPhone 8 for its cameras, but it was just too big - and the S8 considerable cheaper since I bought it a few months before the release of the S9.

1. BebopWeBop

My iPhone SE is as large as I want a phone to be!

1. russsh

An all-screen SE (notched if necessary) would be an ideal format for me.

2. onefang

"Phone in the pocket at the wrong angle and/or the trousers too tight and crack... across the screen."

I could never understand why people choose to sit on their phones. Just asking for trouble.

1. NogginTheNog

What I hate about having a modern phone is (if you’re a fella/without a handbag) you’re either carrying your phone in your hand, or forever dipping in and out of your back pocket when you sit down, putting your phone on the desk/table. And then every now and then you forget and leave it there...

1. eldakka

> or forever dipping in and out of your back pocket when you sit down

I've never understood this.

Every pair of pants I've ever owned that had a big enough back pocket for a phone also had a big enough front pocket for anything under phablet size. So I've never put a phone in the back pocket, it's always the front pocket or a coat/jacket pocket.

Admittedly I've never owned a 5.5" or larger phone, as I also own an 8" tablet and if I'm driving or carrying a backpack I'll have the tablet in the car or backpack for when I need a larger screen.

1. onefang

"Every pair of pants I've ever owned that had a big enough back pocket for a phone also had a big enough front pocket for anything under phablet size."

Ah, I forgot, cargo pants side pockets are quite large, I put my phones in there sometimes.

2. onefang

You could try putting it in a shirt / jacket pocket, where it will fall out half the time when you bend over, especially bending over to pull your pants up in the dunny. We need a phone flap over shirt pockets.

There's also the option to strap it to your arm.

3. Radio Wales
            Facepalm

>And then every now and then you forget and leave it there...

Surely the most powerful argument for not blowing a grand on one?

2. ZillaOfManilla

I'm also a fan of the compact Sony's but I deteste the abysmal finger print scanner on the XZ1 compact.

3. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Um, the buttons are on the screen.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pixel2 non-XL is the daddy of all phones for sale right now, and it's almost a year old.

Nobody wants huge phones and edge to edge displays that miss the ergonomics that you actually need a bezel to hold the thing.

Notches are for bellends (as are iPhones)

2. PeeKay

Never take a first batch product

As has been proven time and again, having the first of a new product always breeds issues and problems. I'm sure there are others (like myself) who steer clear, and let others 'beta test' the new products first.

1. Oh Matron!

Re: Never take a first batch product

I have the same ethos when it comes to beta versions: Under no circumstances should you ever install the first beta of anything.

However, I have to say, I've loved the X. Same screen size as the iPhone 8 plus, same camera, etc, etc, but same size as the iPhone 8. Happy to pay extra to have that convenience.

Also, I've had the phone a few times in the lakes of sweden, doing videos of the fish. You'd have called me mad a couple of years ago, if I'd have suggested that

Yes, I am a bit of a fanboy, but the X has yet to fail me in any way

1. BebopWeBop

I'm glad you are happy. I am (quite possibt) just as happy with my iPhone SE - a manageable size for my activities and acceptable camera performance.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Also, I've had the phone a few times in the lakes of sweden, doing videos of the fish. You'd have called me mad a couple of years ago, if I'd have suggested that

You're still crazy doing it with such expensive kit when good, reliably waterproof phones that are much cheaper have been around for years. I wouldn't worry so much about dropping the phone in water as such, more about on rocks, or in a muddy bit. But it's your money…

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unless it's a steak bake.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Has nothing to do with "first batch product"

Why would someone pay $999 for the top of the line iPhone when everyone knows that Apple will have improved ones for sale in two months? Not only that, the 5.8" "X+1" phone will sell for less than $999.

My X works great, but I know the new ones this fall will be better. I'm more concerned with what comes out in 2019, that's when I'll probably be in a market for a new one - I want the bigger one (had a 6S plus before I bought the X) but I can wait a year.

1. Waseem Alkurdi
        WTF?

Re: Has nothing to do with "first batch product"

Why would someone pay $999 for the top of the line iPhone

My X works great

Some contradiction? Or is it that you got it via work or something? (tell me where you work! I want one too!)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Duh, I guess you stopped reading halfway through the sentence - why would someone pay $999 when Apple has a new one coming out in two months.

I bought mine at launch, and if you never bought a phone if you knew there was a better model coming out in a year then you would still be rocking a StarTac.

1. Radio Wales
            Trollface

No idea what a StarTac was (American?)

As a matter of fact, I was an early adapter of smartphones, but I stuck at a level that satisfied what I needed it for,

Consequently, I kept using my HTC Z until it died this year, because I loved the keyboard.

Found a old (New) Samsung J5 and find it a worthy successor - if a little on the large side.

£120 is more than enough for a gadget.

1. Daniel B.
              Boffin

StarTac probably didn't make it to the UK due to it being an analog phone (AMPS/NAMPS) released at a time when the EU had already jumped to GSM.

As for iPhones: I just upgraded from the 5s to a 6s. Why? Because the 6s is the last one that has the jack, and the 7 and 8 are still stupidly expensive at this point. And the X is already a non-starter as it removed the Home button and it has that horrible notch thing. I can cheer for Apple though, thanks to the X any non-X iPhone user is now less prone to being mugged or getting their phone stolen. The X is now the ultimate "mug me, I'm rich!" sign.

Other than that, I find it really dumb to splurge so much money on a smartphone. Especially when it's ugly.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's had its day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

@AC It's had its day.

Your not wrong, I started to see lot of people, many of them I would of regarded as fairy hardcore fan boys, just moving away.

In the age of fairly high end, throw away android phones such as the cubots and the likes, it makes very little sense sticking with companies like Apple, who these days are really not offering anything new, if in fact not playing catch up to what other systems are offering, at prices that a frankly redonkulas.

Buying outright a throw away phone and choosing a reasonable contact you are literally saving 1000's, especially over a two year period.

Honestly people who still buy into these "exclusive deals" just so they can have the latest version of the shiny badge need to have their heads looked at.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: @AC It's had its day.

Apple haters have been calling it a fad since iPhone 1. There's always someone who sees their mates leaving Apple as a sign of End Times for Apple.

Did you miss the part where Apple sells both the #1 AND #3 most popular phones in the world? Hardly "on the way out" now is it?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Trollface

Did you miss the part where Apple sells both the #1 AND #3 most popular phones in the world? Hardly "on the way out" now is it?

No it just proves there are a lot of idiots with more money than they know what to do with..

The hardware side of Apple hasnt really offered anything new in years.

And the software is either offering new fluff or nothing that isnt already available on other platforms.

And buildings full of 100s people where a few years ago were dominated by Apple are now Android/Variant, plus lacklustre reviews after lacklustre reviews after lacklustre reviews is hardly a few of their mates

Even Apple has admitted its sales arent where they expect them, so this is less "Apple Haters" being haters and more "Apple Fanboys" not willing to face what is actually happening.

iPhone8 will eventually be unavailable, the X isnt tickling anyone's nuts and their lines up over the past years is not making anyone excited for the coming years..

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I tried my first underwater video today with my S8, but the canal was a bit murky. Still, the slow motion video of my lurcher shaking off the water off after a dip came out very well indeed. (A recent update seems to have cured an issue with the phone dropping frames when capturing slo mo video. Other users report better results if they first drop the screen resolution from [stupid high] to 2220x1080)

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

No it just proves there are a lot of idiots......

Have you been reading the articles on this site about android phones and security?

1. itzman

Re: No it just proves there are a lot of idiots......

nothing on my android phone I am not prepared to have stolen if it happens.

A thief is welcome to my email passwords - they will be changed within minutes. seldom use it to browse - and if the satnav app contains places I have visited - so what? They are mostly shops anyway.

A smartphone is not my main computing device.

Nor do i ever use it for financial transactions.

People who do are..idiots

1. werdsmith Silver badge

For the self-obsessed narcissists of this world, people who choose to make different purchasing decisions from them are idiots.

2. HamsterNet

Don't worry, it only contains your daily routine, where your home is, when you are in and when you are not.

Most likely photos, giving vital information of how wealthy or not you are.

Just because you are not actively using your android phone, doesn't mean it's not keeping a tight eye on ou at all times.

3. HamsterNet

Maybe some people just value all the personal data a phone generates, staying private.

But if you happy paying Google to sell all your data then stay with your droid.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

iPhone 1 was never a fad. Apple helped take the control of phone features away from cell carriers. That was radical, it was amazing, and it made the world a better place. Cell carriers used to charge an extra fee for each phone feature. Texting, email, internet, ringtones, games, and even playing local music files cost extra. Essentially, all of the apps and menus vanished as soon as there was a SIM card.

The fad discussion is about Apple promoting form over function. Form is important but going too long in that direction dead-ends in a hurry.

3. NogginTheNog

I think Apple phones are like IBM computers used to be years ago. You may not get the absolute cutting edge, you’ll pay through the nose for it, but you’ll get something that you know works well (enough) with pretty much anything you want to do with it, and will last.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>I think Apple phones are like IBM computers used to be years ago.

I understand that analogy. Back in the '80's I once owned a IBM 486DX on that basis, it cost me £2k for the box alone.

Then as the months went by, I discovered it was built of ever-so-slightly non-standard parts, so if I wanted to upgrade anything I either had to pay IBM's premium prices or start again because nothing would fit or work with it.

I stupidly put up with this for a while, before I decided to junk it and build my own from standard parts.

It cost me to make the break, but I have enjoyed cutting-edge computing ever since for a fraction of what IBM took me for and turned into a computer-literate nerd to boot.

That switched me on to the idea of modular smartphones and - for me - the rest in history.

2. Joe Gurman

You may well be right. As things get commoditized, why should people pay premium prices? I don't know; maybe someone at Rolex, Mercedes, BMW, and lottos yachtmakers could answer that question. It doesn't change the fact that no one is making money (indeed they're all losing buckets of it) selling downscale smartphones. The only profit is in the high-end kit.

But I would suggest the Mr. Orlowski has perhaps let his stomp-on-Apple zeal carry him away a little this time. Read this article about the Counterpoint release: https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/07/05/apples-cheaper-iphones-are-not-the-volume-sellers-pundits-predicted-iphone-8-x-are , admittedly from a true fanboi site, and decide for yourself what the news is here. The way I read it, ignoring how various models (and their putative margins) are ranked, Apple sells 50% more high-end (read: profitable) smartphones than Samsung, who in turn sell twice as many as Xiaomi, while BKK and Huawei battle it out for the rest of the profitable part of the market.

While there are rumors that Xiaomi has had some profitable quarters, pretty much no one but the fruit company and Samsung are making money selling smartphones, integrated over all price points they offer. Other companies may be using downscale models as loss leaders, hoping to grab market share and then raise the price of entry in classic capitalist style (way to go, People's Republic). But those two firms have already gotten there. Maybe that's the news?

1. JohnFen

"maybe someone at Rolex, Mercedes, BMW, and lottos yachtmakers could answer that question"

I can answer that question -- there are plenty of people with more money than sense. They're not the majority of people, but it's a large enough population to sustain a company or two.

1. Rimmsy

I feel that the 'buy now, pay later' contracts create a disconnect between the user and the true cost of these devices. After all it's only £x per month for 2 years or more and if you want the latest phone every year we can do that too. So many are tied into these contracts and have no idea of the true cost.

How often do you see the actual cost of cars, phones etc? Most high cost items are only quoted in ads as £x per month.

1. JLV
              Boffin

caveat emptor

On pricing my SE (which I ended up picking up cheap on Craigslist), it turned out

$x contract phone cost + $y * 24 months = about $100 less than buying myself. Makes sense, volume pricing and all. Reasonable.

Except, small print, hardly mentioned, gone is the carrier's $5/month discount for BYOD.

Not only for 24 months, which would make contract about the same. Forever.

2. Truckle The Uncivil
              Devil

Being a smug Aussie

I would point out that here, the full costs must be shown on the contract. So must penalties for buying out the contract. Without full disclosure the agreement/contract is invalid.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
          Trollface

You do have a point about high end goods.

But how many high end goods can you think of are built in China?

And the comparison is more like high end electronic devices, remember JVC, Panasonic, they are still around but they are not the players they used to be, its Samsung and LG.

Nobody crows about their state of the art electronic kit from the 70s (outside hardcore anorak's)

3. Mike Moyle

"Buying outright a throw away phone and choosing a reasonable contact you are literally saving 1000's, especially over a two year period."

True enough, if you're into "throw-away".

OTOH, if you plan to trade in or resell an older high-end phone, Apples still tend to hold their value better, reducing the cost of your new phone by, potentially, a few hundred [MonetaryUnits].

https://www.cnet.com/news/when-it-comes-to-trade-ins-iphones-are-a-safe-bet/

1. JohnFen

"OTOH, if you plan to trade in or resell an older high-end phone"

I'm in between those two stances. I couldn't care less about resale value, but I care very much that my phone will last more than five years, so I don't want a "disposable".

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

OTOH, if you plan to trade in or resell an older high-end phone…

Strange decision when buying something to use. FWIW this is indicative of the kind of flawed logic we all use to buy more expensive items (including houses). Just because an object retains its value better does not make economic sense; as with cars, the real winners are those who buy second-hand.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

3 years ago was when iPhone started sucking, but users are so locked in, they have no choice to stay.

Very smart of apple, they worked out early on how to lock in idiots with more money than sense.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

worked out early on how to lock in idiots

I bought my IPhone4 back in 2010?2011? So, idiot that I am, they locked me in for the past 7 or 8 years.

Might be time to get a new phone now, though. The iPhone 8 sounds like it fits the bill.

4. Steve Todd
    FAIL

So, the regular run of the mill iPhone 8 ...

Sells better than the premium, much more expensive iPhone X (which is ONLY the third best selling phone in the world), and this proves that Apple have got things badly wrong?

BMW should stop selling the 7 series because they sell more 5s and 3s using that logic. This can only be an Orlowski rant given the level of thought involved.

(No, I don’t own an iPhone X BTW)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like