back to article Seagate's Barracuda SSD bares its teeth at PC, laptop upgraders

Seagate has fired a new Barracuda SSD at the home server, PC and notebook disk replacement markets. It's a 6Gbit/s SATA SSD in a 2.5-inch form factor, with capacities ranging from 250GB, through 500GB and 1TB, up to 2TB. The performance claims up to 90,000 random read IOPS, 540MB/sec sequential read and 520MB/sec sequential …

1. Siberian Hamster

...using 4 x 365 and 1 x 366 days/year...

So what planet does your journo live on I wonder?

1. Steve Foster
      Headmaster

@Siberian Hamster

5 year warranty = 4 regular years + 1 leap year, much more often than not.

If you really want to be picky (an ElReg commentard? surely not!!), the calculation should be based on:

0.75 x ( (4 x 365) + (1 x 366) ) + 0.25 x ( (3 x 365) + (2 x 366) )

(no doubt someone will chime in about leap seconds next... :) )

1. Andy Nugent

Re: @Siberian Hamster

or just use 365.25 * 5?

2. jmch Silver badge
      Facepalm

Given that, whatever the calculation was, the answer was rounded up to 1dp (0.6 drive writes/day), I think using 5 X 365 would have been sufficient.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2TB model but its UK price is set at £449.99

get back when they come close to the price of spinning rust.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 2TB model but its UK price is set at £449.99

Agreed. Whilst I like the idea of SSD, the fact that you can get a decent hard drive of the same capacity for around £60 makes it REALLY hard to justify... I mean..even double the price would be worth pause for thought, but this is more than 7x the price.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: 2TB model but its UK price is set at £449.99

"get back when they come close to the price of spinning rust."

They don't need to be close. Even double would result in a stampede of uptake.

On the other hand, like "Vauxhall" or "Leyland", this is a brand which would probably have to sell its SSDs for less than the spinning version before people would think about buying them.

3. Dr.Sommer

NVMe is the new SATA

6Gbit/s SATA is a dead end and maybe just bridge-technology.

NVMe is the way to go.

I want see Gbit/s as default for new products and NVMe gives that

SATA is just to upgrade old systems.

1. Michael Duke

Re: NVMe is the new SATA

Very few people can tell a real world difference between a SATA SSD and NVMe, this is especially true in a single user (Not server or shared storage) workload.

Unless you are editing 4K video in real time or similar then a 6Gbps SATA SSD is more than fast enough 99% of the time.

2. Piro Silver badge

I'm a bit miffed that 12Gbit/s SAS hasn't trickled down after all this time to deliver a 12Gbit/s SATA.

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

"6Gbit/s SATA is a dead end and maybe just bridge-technology."

Aye, but you'll fit far more in that case than you will on a NVMe gumstick and SATA will be with us for a while yet,

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. NVMe is the new SATA

Not everyone has the latest laptop. My current machine isn't even SATA 3.

5. thexfile

Seagate Barracuda SSD? You first.

1. dave 81

Ditto, Seagate? Never. Burnt way to many times.

1. Bloakey1

"Ditto, Seagate? Never. Burnt way to many times."

Agreed.

In my opinion if the answer is Seagate then you have a profound misunderstanding of the problem at hand.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Micron

... Has a decent 2TB SSD on Rakuten for about the same price as the Seagate 1TB

7. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

In what world is the subheadline accurate?

Surely the UK pricing is way out.

'SATA flash drives to put low-cap disk on endangered list'

At 80 quid for 250GB SSD, vs 35 quid for 1TB spinning rust, this is hardly competitive.

A quick look shows that 250GB SSD can be bought for approaching 50 quid, with 120GB at around the thirty quid mark.

If you're looking for a single drive of moderate capacity it's now economic to buy an SSD. For multiple large storage devices, spinning rust is still much, much cheaper.

1. Sixtysix
      Go

Re: In what world is the subheadline accurate?

Depends on your take on low capacity...

For many corporates, 80GB is plenty big enough for a local disk, and 250GB is a waste - real storage occurs in the enterprise apps or "Cloud" in some form or another.

As such, the availability of low(er) cost SSD enables a truely useful and noticeable performance boost without excessive cost.

A fair enough take I felt...

8. Andy The Hat Silver badge

MTBF

After quoting total write life and warranty, is the actually any reason for a human to bother with MTBF "having a useful increase" up to 205years ...? If it was ten or even fifteen years I'd think about it as I'd possibly get a fail in five but this is more or less stating that it won't fail in the life of this tech ... or the next one!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like