back to article UK taxman warned it's running out of time to deliver working customs IT system by Brexit

Plans to implement a new customs system for Brexit are still fraught with risk and the taxman has yet to fully engage with users and traders who rely on them, the UK's spending watchdog has said. Amid growing concerns that the government's systems are not ready to cope with the extra pressures Brexit will bring, the National …

Page:

1. }{amis}{
    FAIL

Berxit Or Not

The tax office is an underfunded mess of outsourced contracts I would be surprised if the could even locate the own asses in the deadline provided.

Leave out update all their systems to match a spec that hasn't even been finalised yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't be cretinous

Rees-Mogg has explained that after Brexit there will be no need for customs checks.

There's no point having a system at all so it doesn't matter that it doesn't have requirements.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't be cretinous

"Rees-Mogg has explained that after Brexit there will be no need for customs checks.

As he and other Leaver campaigner leaders like Nigel Lawson have moved their business interests or homes to other EU countries. Nigel Farage denies applying for a German passport - he has just made sure his children have them as well as their English ones.

1. BebopWeBop

And Lord Lawson - that great Brexit supporter is seeking his French residence certificate. Luckily we are all (in my family) dual British/Irish citizenship.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Luckily we are all (in my family) dual British/Irish citizenship."

SWMBO, children and grandchildren are entitled to claim Irish citizenship. Even my cockney BiL is. I'm not.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

SWMBO, children and grandchildren are entitled to claim Irish citizenship. Even my cockney BiL is. I'm not.

If you're married to an Irish citizen, and living in Ireland, for at least 3 years you can request it. Seems a reasonable criterion to get citizenship of a country.

1. Aitor 1

Six years in the uk AND more than 3x.000 £ per year.

2. Pen-y-gors

Rees-Mogg has explained that after Brexit there will be no need for customs checks

I've never quite understood that (or anything he says, to be honest)

Surely the whole point of Brexit was to 'take back control' of our borders? How do you do that without customs checks?

Is it that I am a bear of very little brain and don't really understand these complicated things, or is Rees-Mogg simply a mendacious idiot?

1. John G Imrie
          Coat

The latter, or possibly both as I don't know you, but defiantly not the former on it's own.

Mine is the one with the dual Irish/UK nationality registration in it. I wish :-(

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

We will control our borders by not controlling them.

If a country bordering the UK controls their borders, they are terrible people and they're doing it to get at us.

Let's pretend we've never heard of WTO rules stating that if two countries don't have a customs agreement then they must run ports of entry.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Is it that I am a bear of very little brain"

I doubt it. You've never seemed that way here.

1. Pen-y-gors

@Dr Syntax

"Is it that I am a bear of very little brain"

I doubt it. You've never seemed that way here.

Aw, gee, <blush>, thanks! Or are you thinking that I actually seem to be a wildebeest or walrus of very little brain?

4. Dr_N
          Trollface

Pen-y-gors> or is Rees-Mogg simply a mendacious idiot?

No. he's just guilty of terminological in-exactitude.

5. Fonant

Rees-Mogg is simply a mendacious idiot.

6. Lars Silver badge
          Thumb Down

Even more idiotic a la Rees-Mogg (with his read lines) is that he claims the UK will not set up a boarder with Ireland and thus let all EU members come across the NI boarder freely to Britain.

That is indeed controlling ones boarders.

7. Lyndon Hills 1

I think what he meant is that for the import side, we can charge whatever tarriff we want, so if we have no tarrifs then we have no processing of imports to do. Exports are really the responsibility of the receiving country so again no need for the UK to do anything.

This would be to ignore export controls we might enforce on weapons etc, that would still need handling, although there might not need to be much or any chnage here. It would also suggest that people can bring in rabid animals, nuclear material, drugs and so....

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>It would also suggest that people can bring in rabid animals, nuclear material, drugs and so....

How can we get people to bring in rabid drugs and nuclear animals?

2. Tom 7

@lyndon Hills 1

What he meant is "I haven't a fucking clue what I'm talking about but it should sound good for brexiters desperate for this problem to go away'

Quite simply, if we dont implement some form of border control then someone else will as if we dont it we could be shipping any form of shit in and out. This will take the form of "not trading with us with anything other than humanitarian aid".

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"This will take the form of "not trading with us with anything other than humanitarian aid"."

IIRC emergency relief shipments to various countries have been detained indefinitely - while the receiving government insisted on the local import duties being paid.

3. Pen-y-gors

@Lyndon Hills 1

I think what he meant is that for the import side, we can charge whatever tarriff we want, so if we have no tarrifs then we have no processing of imports to do. Exports are really the responsibility of the receiving country so again no need for the UK to do anything.

It's not as simple as that (although the Quitlings don't seem to be able to think beyond stage 1)

No controls on imports also means no checks on standards. Electrically unsafe goods being imported? Poisonous toys? Dodgy Yankee food? Okay, that may be acceptable (erm, actually, no). But those items could then be exported with a 'Made in Great England' sticker - and the EU won't be happy to receive those. What were they saying about common standards?

8. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Rees-Mogg simply a mendacious idiot?" --- Pen-y-Gors

He's a friend of a friend. He's certainly not an idiot. But I think he has wholeheartedly embraced the zeitgeist, where airily authoritative statements can be made not only without justification but in direct contradiction to easily checked facts.

9. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Academics

Well at least he said he's not interested in being PM. Which is fortunate, because most of the country is in agreement with that.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Academics

"Well at least he said he's not interested in being PM."

Being PM would make him responsible for his actions - no chance of him falling into that trap. He wants to be behind the throne - power without responsibility.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Academics...He wants to be behind the throne - power without responsibility.

We all know what profession has power without responsibility, which suggests that, given the number of politicians, the abolition of prostitution will never be fully successful.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: Academics...He wants to be behind the throne - power without responsibility.

" the abolition of prostitution will never be fully successful."

Well they would say that - wouldn't they?

10. maffski

'...Is it that I am a bear of very little brain and don't really understand these complicated things, or is Rees-Mogg simply a mendacious idiot?'

Might be useful to remember that customs checks and customs declarations are not the same thing.

We only perform checks on about 2% of imports - which I think includes the mandatory checks on all livestock.

CHEIF looks to be an olde world messaging system with mainframe database so boosting it's performance to the required levels should actually be quite straightforward. Which probably means they'll try to rush CDS instead...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"CHEIF looks to be an olde world messaging system with mainframe database so boosting it's performance to the required levels should actually be quite straightforward."

Quite, but the mainframe and olde world messaging systems vendors are going to squeeze HMRC for everything they're worth.

In addition to the core platform there's also a rather large number of reporting and workflow solutions that sit around it that'll need to be adapted to account for:

- Increased number of declaration

- Increased size of declarations

- Increased complexity and variety of declarations

- Massively increased user base (both internal and external) etc. etc.

It's not complicated, but it's a lot of work for a system that was pencilled to be retired early next year.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Rees-Mogg has explained that after Brexit there will be no need for customs checks."

In the century in which Rees-Mogg lives, people like him don't even need passports. They just go on the Grand Tour and loot statues and paintings from Italy and Greece.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          Unhappy

In the century in which Rees-Mogg lives, people...go on the Grand Tour and loot statues..

That's just a wild exaggeration.

In the 1450's* no one did "Grand Tours" as the Black Death was abroad across the land.

The CofE was founded in 1534 and JRM is an ardent Papist. Any later and he would definitely be on Francis Walsinghams Watch List, probably with an associated pre filled out death warrant.

4. TheVogon

"Rees-Mogg has explained that after Brexit there will be no need for customs checks."

With the EU that is potentially correct. If you are in a negotiation for a free trade agreement you can maintain your existing standards for ten years under WTO rules.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Berxit Or Not

"The tax office is an underfunded mess of outsourced contracts..."

CDS and CHIEF are being run in-house by HMRC badged people. Consideration of whether this is an improvement over Aspire is an exercise left to the reader.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"whether this is an improvement over Aspire

For those no longer working for CapGemini or Fujitsu I believe that it has been an improvement. YM, as ever, MV.

3. tmTM

Isn't it abit hard to implement a new system when the idiots in charge can't even agree how we intend to actually leave the EU.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have been trying to get them to take notice of the fact that my HMRC account is corrupted since January; I have now asked if I can send my 2016/17 returns on paper, as they seem unable to even answer me, let alone fix the issue.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good luck exporting goods (to which the article makes no mention)

The article covers the role of HMRC in terms of incoming goods, but not much in terms of the seamless bullshit - frictionless border regards exporting goods to the EU.

There has been no software tender for any of this, so make of that what you will. If the rollout of Universal Credit is anything to go by, we're talking years - a decade.

In the meantime, the EU will be crossing all the t's and dotting all the i's, for sure and rightly so, they have EU standards to protect. The Netherlands aren't taking any chances that's for sure.

Theresa May is average intelligence at best, isolated and pretty much clueless. We're heading for a perfect shitstorm.

She'll probably just have a coughing fit, resign and walk, that's the best we can hope for.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Good luck exporting goods (to which the article makes no mention)

There has been no software tender for any of this, so make of that what you will. If the rollout of Universal Credit is anything to go by, we're talking years - a decade.

Meanwhile, in Rotterdam, they're planning dry-run customs controls to test how things would perform after Brexit.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think Boris Johnson said it best

F*ck Business!

This is merely one mechanism among many for implementing that policy. Eventually moving your company from Britain to the EU will be as easy a decision as moving flat from Camden to Islington.

1. Rich 11

Re: I think Boris Johnson said it best

I almost pity Boris Johnson, because the next time he stands for any election at all he's going to find himself permanently surrounded by posters and signs bearing that quote.

Yes, I almost pity him. Almost.

1. Eponymous Cowherd

I almost pity Boris Johnson, because the next time he stands for any election at all he's going to find himself permanently surrounded by posters and signs bearing that quote.

That.

And pictures of bulldozers.

1. John G Imrie
          Coat

Someone please tell me that there is a Mr. Prosser working for the Heathrow Runway planning department.

Could someone please fetch my coat, it's the one with the towel in the pocket.

2. andrewj

"I almost pity Boris Johnson"

I don't. He's supposed to represent the country, yet shuffles around looking like a tramp who hasn't had a haircut for months. Bloody disgrace.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>He's supposed to represent the country, yet shuffles around looking like a tramp who hasn't had a haircut for months. Bloody disgrace.

I agree, but the sorry truth is that he is the living embodiment of how the rest of the world views the British.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I don't. He's supposed to represent the country, yet shuffles around looking like a tramp who hasn't had a haircut for months."

That haircut costs him about £28 from Geo. F Trumpers last time I looked at their prices. It's to make him look youthful. Apparently.

Johnson is 54 going on 13. He's still pretending to be the naughty but funny new bug at Eton, presumably because it causes some knickers to fall off.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

<i"[...] presumably because it causes some knickers to fall off."

I never perceived Boris as the Alcibiades of Eton - but maybe there are more general political parallels.

A Welsh acquaintance had a "little boy lost" demeanour - a combination that was like a magnet for some women. In his 30s it suddenly stopped working.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Eventually moving your company from Britain to the EU will be as easy a decision as moving flat from Camden to Islington.

Eventually? I thought it was that simple now; or are you suggesting post-Brexit the 'EU' will be offering inducements and relocation support?

3. Teiwaz

Going by recent Gov. IT project failures, overruns. delivery shortfalls and general waste of money chasing the buzzing tinkerbell of agile, bambi or frolicking fauns, not a chance before the deadline.

I predict a return to rampant smuggling, Cornwall tourism and tri-point hats (but only because of the new Poldark).

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"bambi"

I don't think he counts any longer even if he does seem sound on Brexit.

2. Nick Kew

@Teiwaz - we were just talking about that a couple of days ago, as we walked a scenic section of coast path with ample scope for smugglers alongside the leisure boats of the modern rich. Can't see anyone finding the money to restore Napoleonic-era defences.

Though of course if there's no enforced border in Ireland, the smugglers will have a line of even less resistance to bring Trump's industrial-scale farmers' growth-hormone-filled beef into the EU until road and rail capacity is exhausted.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Possibly a daft question but didn't someone somewhere in government not say we've voted leave but the timetable needs to be extended because we won't be ready therefore don't submit the leave letter to the EU just yet, we'll let you know when the two years is long enough.

1. DJO Silver badge

Well that would require a member of the current government to have both common sense and the minimal intelligence required to see Brexit is a can of festering dog shit and the courage to come out and say so in public.

No, instead we'll just have May lurching from disaster to disaster all of her own making. There is absolutely no chance this will end well for the general populace.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like