back to article It's getting more and more Azure'd: For Microsoft, sorry seems to be the hardest word

Microsoft had a week of acquisitions, almost-apologies and Azure absenteeism as 2018 ground to its halfway point. Azure in Northern Europe popped out for a quick drink on Tuesday evening, turning into a colossal bender as the cloudy service went down and stayed down. Unusually warm weather in Ireland was blamed for the failure …

1. macjules

Curse you global warming!

Microsoft announced an additional two data centre regions in Norway – one in Oslo and one in the Stavanger region.

Based upon what happened when the temperature soared in Ireland, what happens when a heatwave strikes Southern Norway then? Why not just go for broke and create a data centre in Tromsø?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Curse you global warming!

Someone probably fired up a Vista VM and overheated everything

2. DJV Silver badge

"Unusually warm weather in Ireland was blamed for the failure."

Or maybe the leprechauns were just holding it wrong.

3. Korev Silver badge
    Childcatcher

We love developers and we also love schools

You mean Developers, Developers, Developers?

4. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Microsoft slipping its tentacles into every pie all over the world.

1. Repainted Thinner

And burning the said tentacles every single time.

5. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Free Github?

TFS is looking more and more like they're going to take it out back of the shed and give it the Old Yeller treatment...

6. Repainted Thinner

Idiocy compounded

After killing off it's mobile attempts (where the UI was probably the best ever made for a mobile device), Microsoft is trying to be a bit player on other people's OSs trying to duplicate functionality. Why the heck would I download a Bing Lens when I already have the same functionality on Google lens? Why don't you lay off these developers and increase your profit to make Nadella look good, Microsoft?

1. Avatar of They
      Thumb Up

Re: Idiocy compounded

Exactly, who actually downloads Edge for Android?

7. deadlockvictim

Words I thought I'd never hear

It's too hot in Ireland.

8. BobChip
    Linux

Boy am I glad..

that I don't use anything made by Microsoft any more. Stability and reliability are much more to my taste.

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"There are, however, some catches."

"Schools keen to grab the freebie will need to offer GitHub to all technical departments, allow GitHub to use their logo on its website, receive GitHub announcements and finally place one person per department on GitHub's teacher-training programme."

In other words : it's free for you if you sell us your soul, give us your firstborn and allow us to spam you into oblivion. Oh, and we'll "monetize" all the data you give us, as per standard corporate procedure.

How typical of Microsoft. Acquire something good that works, and turn it into yet another waiting room to Satan's realm.

Thanks, I'll pass.

10. PeterM42
    FAIL

And to add insult to injury.....

.......hotmail.com/outlook.com/live.co.uk (or whatever they call their crap email "service" today) mail servers are having their periodic but intermittent "authentication errors" YET AGAIN!!!!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like