back to article Have YOU had your breakfast pint? Boffins confirm cheeky daily tipple is good for you

A major study of Americans has punched another hole in the official British government medical advice that there's no "safe level" of drinking. The cohort study of around 100,000 individuals found that infrequent drinkers and teetotallers had an increased risk of mortality. "Combined risk of cancer or death was lowest in …

Page:

1. jake Silver badge
    Pint

Interesting.

Looks like the "hazard rate" isn't really all that high, even if you're necking 7 pints per day!

No, I'm not planning on making up for lost time ;-)

1. wolfetone Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Interesting.

"No, I'm not planning on making up for lost time ;-)"

Suit yourself, but I intend to!

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

looks like the magic number is around 4. Good to know. Anything between 1 and 4 is a "net win". less than 1, it's a little 'iffy'. Better have at least one a day.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Those necking 20+ a day were not available for the testing...

As always, taking the bias out is near impossible when dealing with people.

1. macjules

"Combined risk of cancer or death was lowest in light drinkers consuming less than 1 drink every day, rather than drinkers with higher intakes," researchers found.

By "light drinkers" I presume you mean drinkers of Budwater?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As always, taking the bias out is near impossible when dealing with people.

Don't forget to allow for under-reporting. For reference, a reported 45% of British alcohol sales are consumed.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

"Those necking 20+ a day were not available for the testing..."

Yeh, I was busy....

3. Daniel von Asmuth
      Pint

Interesting? Scary!

On the contrary. If you consume 4 alcoholic drinks per day, the chance that you will eventually die (from cancer, mortality or whatever) becomes a whopping 1.00, or 100 % certainty.

But then, drinking no liquieds at all may kill you faster.

1. Mark 85

Re: Interesting? Scary!

If you consume 4 alcoholic drinks per day, the chance that you will eventually die (from cancer, mortality or whatever) becomes a whopping 1.00, or 100 % certainty.

Actually, drinking is irrelevant. Everyone dies. No one gets out alive.

2. Sykowasp

What measure of 'drink' did these Americans use?

What is a drink? Why can't they use units like every other sane study?

I'm going to assume it's a British Imperial pint of a DIPA such as https://gipsyhillbrew.com/beers/hepcat-hepcat/

That is about 4 units.

So I need to drink 8 to 12 units a day to improve my health. Maybe I'll skip a day here and there, and move the units to another day, I'm sure that is recommended too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What measure of 'drink' did these Americans use?

Until we know more it's best to assume that a 'drink' is any amount you can hold in one hand.

1. Alister
        Thumb Up

any amount you can hold in one hand.

So, a 5 litre keg should be fine...

1. Daniel von Asmuth
          Headmaster

If you mean the Unites States, they measure milk in gallons. South-America uses litres.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So I can safely have 3 bottles of vodka every day and still not increase the risk on my health?

1. lglethal Silver badge
          Joke

"So I can safely have 3 bottles of vodka every day and still not increase the risk on my health?"

Yes, but only if your russian...

1. Rich 11
            Joke

If you're Russian your average life expectancy is already nine years behind that of the average overweight, pesticide-ridden, environmentally-poisoned, healthcare-deprived American anyway, so hitting the vodka may be one of the few things in life you can genuinely look forward to.

2. Nolveys

I'm in no hurry.

3. macjules

"Yes, but only if your russian..."

What if you drink slowly?

4. the Jim bloke
            Headmaster

..only if your russian.. ? .. does what ?

What exactly are we talking about your russian doing?, and how did you come to possess a russian..

This would be a different situation if you ARE Russian, but that involves a somewhat different wording..

3. Sideways

"Until we know more it's best to assume that a 'drink' is any amount you can hold in one hand."

So i can quite happily consume a half pint of Tactical nuclear penguin every morning?

Excellent, should make the drive into work interesting...if i can find the car that is.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Pint

Probably US sized Pints of Bud Light which is as close to gnat's piss as I've ever seen.

Now if the study used 6X, T.E.A. or even Broadside I might be more inclined to believe it.

speaking of T.E.A., memo to self to pop into the Brewery Shop on my way home tonight for some although the Surrey Nirvana is good on hot days.

1. OldTM

Ah The Hogs Back Brewery, good idea I've been meaning to try the Farnham White!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Actually the link does give the amount, but in strange US units. It seems like 30 drinks worth of wine is enough to crush an australian beer can according to the reg converter. Just over 140ml per drink.

1. Marshalltown

A standard drink made with hard alky served in a bar is 120 ml. Another way to see it is that a US "standard" drink contains 14 grams of pure alcohol. Standard beer serving is 12 fl oz (US) at 5%. Wine standard is five ounces at 12% ABV, and 1.5 ounces distilled booze at 80 proof (40% ABV).

2. W.S.Gosset

>Actually the link does give the amount, but in strange US units. It seems like 30 drinks worth of wine is enough to crush an australian beer can according to the reg converter. Just over 140ml per drink.

If that's "standard" wine, then 1 drink per this study is ~1.5 units.

100ml of "standard" wine = 1 unit of alcohol (10gm or ~14ml)

1. W.S.Gosset

D'oh! That last parentheses should read: "10ml or ~7.89gm". As implied by the immediately-preceding...

2. Qwelak
          Pint

Ironic, we've just booked a dept tour of the hogs Back brewery

Personally I always wanted to invite certain members of staff there and see if they really can organise a piss up.

3. Mark 85

What is a drink?

Depends on the beverage. A beer.. 16 oz. "Hard liquor".. depends on the type and what is mixed into it. Wine.. a 12 oz. glass. Now these may and will vary depending on where one is in the States, who's pouring or mixing the drink, etc. Beer is iffy due to different size cans/bottles, and even mugs. There is no standard so 1 drink is still vague.

1. jake Silver badge

"There is no standard so 1 drink is still vague."

To say nothing of the fact that alcohol, the substance that the teetotalers are concerned[0] about, varies from around 2% up to over 50% in drinks that are still called "beer" or "wine".

[0] For values of "concern" that equal "somebody, somewhere, is enjoying themselves and we can't have that!".

4. W.S.Gosset

>What is a drink? Why can't they use units like every other sane study?

>I'm going to assume it's a British Imperial pint of a DIPA such as https://gipsyhillbrew.com/beers/hepcat-hepcat/

>That is about 4 units.

>So I need to drink 8 to 12 units a day to improve my health.

Actually, it's 6.

That's the units/day that hits peak longevity. But you can have up to 13/day before you regress again to teetotaller level. See my comment below.

5. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

"What is a drink? Why can't they use units like every other sane study?"

According to a blood alcohol chart that I found online, "one drink" is "1.25 oz. of 80 proof liquor, 12 oz. of beer, or 5 oz. of table wine." So not quite 1 shot (1.5oz) of distilled liquor, a bit less than a pint of ale.

YMMV based on lots of things. These are units made up by the bunch that created blood alcohol charts for DUI arrests and DMV regs and things like that.

3. Locky
    Pint

I'm not sure I trust health advice from Sally Hawkins

She seems to approve of sleeping with fish and having bears live in your house. A beer seems safer than those

1. macjules

Re: I'm not sure I trust health advice from Sally Hawkins

IIRC 'sleeping with the fishes" didn't work too well with Luca Brasi in The Godfather.

2. W.S.Gosset

Re: I'm not sure I trust health advice from Sally Hawkins

>She seems to approve of [...] having bears live in your house.

She meant to say "beers".

4. Headley_Grange Silver badge

"...increased risk of mortality.."

The risk of mortality, whether you drink or not, is 1.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Joke

Re: "...increased risk of mortality.."

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and always fatal.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: "...increased risk of mortality.."

Observed death rate is c.93%.

5. Potemkine! Silver badge

Since when correlation is causality??

1. adnim

Implied causality

Implied causality kind of justifies the research and lends an appearance of usefulness to the results.

Otherwise the research just confirms what most people would consider obvious.

6. ArrZarr Silver badge
    Facepalm

"...an increased risk of mortality."

Now, I don't know about you, but I would argue that the biggest risk of mortality is being alive in the first place.

Do scientific studies about healthy living really feel that they need to hide death behind an euphemism?

7. Tom 7

Lite drinking?

Not that american piss - I'd rather die now.

8. David Roberts
    Pint

Interesting curve and infrequent drinkers.

Well, it looks as though your best all round bet might be to have a drink roughly every other day. Which is close to infrequent drinking by my rules.

Better news is that around 5 drinks a day doesn't seem to increase your risk.

As it's Friday it is time to channel (modify) a bit of Morecambe and Wise.

How often do you go to the pub for a drink?

Infrequently.

Is that one word or two?

Oh, go on, since it is Friday.

After reading this report I won't be drinking any more.

Then again I won't be drinking any less.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting curve and infrequent drinkers.

Are some of the infrequent drinkers because they cannot drink due to other fatal illnesses?

Without knowing how this study is balanced against other external factors, it may as well be testing which colour gummy bear is more dangerous.

1. AndrewKun

The study used lifetime intakes, based on intakes at various ages. This means that people who drank heavily then quit due to illness would still have their intakes recorded and are unlikely to be in the infrequent drink category unless they quit very young.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Definitely the sugar free ones.

9. JakeMS

Well I'm safe..

I usually drink once a week to kill off the weeks stress, usually necking (over the course of the night) a single bottle of neat rum (no silly coke or ice added, just straight up 40% Vol Rum).

Looks like I'm still within my two a day! I never open a second bottle!

The advantage is it only makes me tipsy and I don't end up overly drunk, just enough to relax, I knew I was doing something right!

1. UncleNick

Re: Well I'm safe..

Chinny.

Reckon.

2. Tom 7

Re: Well I'm safe..

Interestingly 'neat' spirits is absorbed into the system more slowly that the optimum alcohol strength of 20% ( ie half diluted standard UK whisky). I have heard if you drink spirits neat then the stomach in some people can produce an enzyme that breaks down the alcohol so in some ways its better to have the odd glass of water to get the full benefit.

It always used to baffle me how I could sit down and neck a bottle of spirits and yet a lot less alcohol in the form of beer had a far more noticeable effect.

10. Pen-y-gors

This is not good news

The NHS budget is already badly over-stretched. Now doctors will be asked to prescribe a daily pint or two.

Anyone remember the old Milk Marketing Board and "Drinka Pinta Milka Day"? (And that was before the days of semi-skimmed)

Time for a new campaign "Drinka Pinta FirklestonesOldSkullcrackera Day"

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: This is not good news

"Time for a new campaign "Drinka Pinta FirklestonesOldSkullcrackera Day""

May I have a tee-shirt to that effect?

Ta!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like