back to article Atari accuses El Reg of professional trolling and making stuff up. Welp, here's the interview tape for you to decide...

Legendary games company Atari has accused a Register reporter of making stuff up and acting unprofessionally following an interview earlier this year in San Francisco at the launch of its new games console, the Atari VCS. In that article, we were critical of the fact that the machine did not work, and that its chief operating …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Hahashahahahahahaahah!

Nothing like standing on the sidelines and watching a well deserved kicking being administered.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Hahashahahahahahaahah!

And this is exactly what I would call professional trolling.

Professionally executed and the subject has tried to start a flame war which ended up with them being flamed into a crisp.

El reg crew deserves a round of pints :)

2. Halfmad

So incredibly satisfying. Such a nice article, at least from my perspective.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ATARI is like NOKIA, some chinese guy bought the company name

ATARI is like NOKIA, some bad guy bought the company name and recycles chinese stuff and put a brand label on it.

Rather naive people these days fall for such scams. --> Don't buy "ATARI" games and hardware and "NOKIA" phones in 2018. The original company died many years ago, the original products long gone. In case of ATARI (/Infograms), you can get the old games for cheap on eBay and use an emulator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari,_SA#Transition_from_Infogrames_Entertainment ; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia ; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Mobile ; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMD_Global (chinese "NOKIA" phones of the year 2018)

1. caffeine addict

Re: ATARI is like NOKIA, some chinese guy bought the company name

That's a tad unfair to Nokia. Basically all phones come out of China nowadays. Sure, it's not a 3210 indistructaphone, but the "N" series phones don't pretend to be. They're half decent specced phones in a milled aluminium shell that's more deserving of the Nokia name than any of the MS devices were. The name has been licensed by a company trying to make good from it.

Atari is a different matter. The name gets slapped on pretty much anything regardless of quality by whoever owns it this week. Similar can be said of the Commodore devices that appear every now and then.

2. Pseudonymous Howard

Re: ATARI is like NOKIA, some chinese guy bought the company name

Even though the 2018 Nokia phones come from China (just like any other vendor's phones, including Apple), HMD Global is a Finnish company. You can read this in the first sentence of the Wikipedia article you linked. A little bit further down you can even read that this company consists of many former Nokia employees.

3. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

Re: ATARI is like NOKIA, ...

In my local Mall*Wart, I happened to notice something odd. The teetering stack of "RCA" branded LCD TVs in their boxes had a printed disclaimer (right on the packaging).

"RCA - This product is manufactured and sold by (LICENSEE COMPANY NAME). ..." etc.

I guess there's a new manufacturer of LCD TVs called LICENSEE COMPANY NAME.

I've seen similar branding antics with "POLAROID".

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Re: ATARI is like NOKIA, ...

Polaroid seems to be a name nowadays slapped on cellphone chargers/cables that are horrible quality and massively overpriced. Not even instant photos out of them

4. Tristan Young

Atari needs a good kicking. As a former retail salesperson of Atari computers (520ST, 1040ST, Mega, TT, Falcon, Lynx handheld console), yeah, a good kicking, A) to see if they are still alive, and B) to encourage them to progress. Don't show up to a meeting in order to provide lots of, "Um, I don't know" and "I can't tell you" statements. No one cares about I don't know and I can't tell you. Successful hype isn't built on uncertainty.

1. JohnFen

"As a former retail salesperson of Atari computers (520ST, 1040ST, Mega, TT, Falcon, Lynx handheld console)"

That was a different Atari and the one that exists now. Atari, the old computer and games manufacturer, doesn't exist.

1. FrankAlphaXII

There was an Atari in between them too (the one that published Cryptic Studios' games before Perfect World Entertainment bought their IP) that was owned by a French games company that wasn't Ubisoft.

This Atari is a long way from either "classic" Atari or French Atari.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Don't show up to a meeting in order to provide lots of, "Um, I don't know" and "I can't tell you" statements. No one cares about I don't know and I can't tell you. Successful hype isn't built on uncertainty."

I couldn't agree more, Artz is an arse! None-answers, sentences trailing off to nothing, having said nothing and so on. If anyone did a full semantic analysis of the interview and took out all the "noise" I strongly suspect Artz's "contribution" to the full 30 minutes would consist of about 30 seconds of repeated "I don't know"

My wife watches a lot of craft instructables on Youtube and the US based ones sound the same as this interview. It's as if they are terrified of silence, even when they have nothing to say. Is this normal in the US or am I just seeing the worst of it?

My hat is off to the Reg reporter for his extreme patience, surely one of his most agonising interviews. Might as well have interviewed the tea boy!

5. Only me!
      FAIL

I see one PR person from Atari is reading the comments LOL

(one down vote for you fab comment as I type this)

2. Blockchain commentard

An American version of the Spectrum reboot?

1. Tim Jenkins

"An American version of the Spectrum reboot?"

Except with (as of today) the equivalent of £2,228,572 to burn through before evaporating.

RCL only had £512,790...

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Eviscerated!

El Reg 1

Atari 0

(world cup and all)

1. Hans 1
      Coat

Re: Eviscerated!

@Winkypop

Where did you learn how to count ?

El Reg 9:0 Atari

1. wolfetone Silver badge

It went to VAR in the end, and the TV decided to award just the one goal.

1. lglethal Silver badge
          Go

It sounds more like an Atari own goal to me. Results still the same, but they only have themselves to blame...

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Remember professional trolls count "one, two, many, lots!"

Looks like Atari has LOTS of egg on its face

1. Chunky Munky
              Pint

+1 and a pint for the Pratchett reference

2. DavCrav

professional trolls count "one, two, many, lots!"

I think it's one, two, many, many-one, many-two, many-many, many-many-one, many-many-two, LOTS, but I could be mistaken.

1. pdebarra

One, two, three, many.

Many one, many two, many three, many many.

Many many one, many many two, many many three, many many many.

Many many many one, many many many two, many many many three, lots.

1. Swarthy
                  Trollface

Re: One, two, three, many

Just your bog-standard base-four counting system.

I think it was originally developed by professional crocodile wrestlers.

2. James 36

was that written on the inside of a freezer ?

2. Captain Scarlet

Damnit we need additional conversions on https://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/page/reg-standards-converter.html to cover scoring just like this.

1. Chris 244

One Two Many

It's an actual counting system, and before chuckling at "primitives" notice how in English:

One -- First

Two -- Second

Three - Third

Four -- Fourth

And French:

Un -- Premier

Deux -- Seconde

Trois -- Troisieme

Quatre -- Quatrieme

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: One Two Many

Deux - seconde or deuxième (prefered usage when enumerating)

And even "un" has a "unième" form (like in vingt-et-unième - https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/uni%C3%A8me)

1. heyrick Silver badge

"seconde or deuxième (prefered usage when enumerating)"

Not quite. The rule is: You use "deuxième" when referring to the second of <many>. You use "second(e)" when referring to the second of two.

As we are talking about a language, there are of course exceptions: classe de seconde, seconde nature, and of course the Seconde Guerre Mondial will probably remain that even if there's a third attempt. I say probably because this time we have nukes and countries run by lunatics, but asides from that...

1. Contrex

"The rule is: You use "deuxième" when referring to the second of <many>. You use "second(e)" when referring to the second of two."

Not quite a 'rule', according to the Académie française. One can, par souci de précision et d’élégance, reserve second for utterances where one only considers two elements, and only use deuxième when the enumeration goes past two. Cette distinction n’est pas obligatoire. You would always use second in certain expressions: seconde main, seconde nature, etc., and in job titles such as le second du navire.

4. RyokuMas
    Coat

Oh how the might have fallen...

Back in the early 90s, the Atari STE was a giant among machines - probably the best all-round home computer platform across all arenas on the market at the time, (despite what owners of the Commodore Amiga Games Machine may say*).

Sad that the once-great name has been dragged down this far.

*Forget professional trolling, Atari and Amiga owners have been trolling each other since before "trolling" was a thing...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh how the might have fallen...

My Amiga 1200 with it's B-52 inscribed motherboard challenges you to a fight. My weapon of choice if Protracker just to show Amiga's are better at music.

1. Kane
        Trollface

"My weapon of choice if Protracker just to show Amiga's are better at music."

How many on-board MIDI ports does your Amiga have?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Kane

I knew someone would thwart my plans.

2. phuzz Silver badge
          Gimp

"How many on-board MIDI ports does your Amiga have?"

How many Atari owners used theirs?

Besides, it was only about £20-30 for a MIDI adaptor for the Amiga, which is inexpensive compared to the cost of the rest of kit you'll be wanting to hook up to it.

(This is why I don't get too partisan about Mac vs Windows vs Linux, none of them compare to the Amiga in my eyes)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>How many Atari owners used theirs?

Mike Oldfield, Jean Michel Jarre, Robert Miles, Fatboy Slim, Tangerine Dream spring to mind - but you'd struggle to find a professional studio without STs in the 80s/90s

3. decoherence
          Mushroom

Super Librarian! Notator! Passport! MT-32! I'm crying here, and it's not because I'm feeling nostalgic!

Those were the days, good riddance!

4. pnony
          Trollface

My CDTV—which is basically an Amiga 500 with a CD-ROM drive hacked onto it—has MIDI in and out ports. They've never been used, because the onboard sound was good enough for the time. Unlike the ST and its off-the-shelf bleeper chip which was embarassing by 8 bit standards, never mind their flagship machine.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

*Forget professional trolling, Atari and Amiga owners have been trolling each other since before "trolling" was a thing...

Hell, yes! What was the twinky OS you had called? GEM? My sister ran that on here C= 128.

Very good times. Have one on me -->

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>What was the twinky OS you had called? GEM? My sister ran that on here C= 128.

GEM was the GUI, most swapped out for KAOS - the OS they shipped with was TOS though we also had MiNT and MagiC which rocked. The Amiga had much better games I'm told.

2. ThomH

Re: Oh how the might have fallen... @ Jack of Shadows

I don't think she did. GEM was available only for x86 and 68000 machines. Are you sure you're not thinking of the completely unrelated GEOS? Both start in 'GE' and inherit a lot from the original MacOS but are otherwise unrelated.

3. KBeee

Imagine if GEM had had 1/100th the money spent developing it as Windows got, what an OS it could have been.

4. KBeee

GEM - was that "Graphical Enviroment Manager" or am I misremembering? Imagine if it'd had 1/100th the money spent developing it as Windows got.

5. Alistair
        Windows

Urr, I ran GEM on DRDOS.......

3. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Forget professional trolling, Atari and Amiga owners have been trolling each other since before "trolling" was a thing.

Bit late to the party you lot were. Us Speccy/Amstrad/Comodore 64 kids were well versed in trolling - I can assure you! (Those rich BBC kids never got involved)

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

Those rich BBC kids never got involved

No, we didn't need to. We knew our machine was superior and we knew that you knew that as well.

Games library? Pah.

;-)

M.

1. Chris King

No, we didn't need to. We knew our machine was superior and we knew that you knew that as well.

Games library? Pah.

So why were so many of the BBC Master Race addicted to Chuckie Egg and Frak! ?

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

So why were so many of the BBC Master Race addicted to Chuckie Egg and Frak! ?

Quality over quantity. Chuckie Egg, Frak!, Aviator, Revs and - who can forget - Elite. The Spectrum and the C64 may have ten times more games released for them than the BBC, but that didn't matter if you had the likes of the above.

Of course, price was another issue. I seem to remember anything in BBC format (software or hardware) costing about 50% more than the equivalent Spectrum or C64. Quality costs.

Speaking as someone who bought a rubber Spectrum 48k using most of my savings, and those of my sister, back in 1983 (I think - it was just after the price came down from £180 to £130) but carried on saving and sold it a couple of years later to help fund a BBC Micro B together with Christmas donations.

M.

2. Haku

Exile was awesome on the BBC Micro, and then again on the Amiga.

2. David Given
          Flame

The BBC had Elite and Chuckie Egg. Any additional games were obviously superfluous.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon