back to article New Windows Server preview ships with an AI crystal ball

Microsoft’s popped out another preview of Windows Server 2019, Build 17692 to be precise. The big new addition is “System Insights”, which Microsoftforeshadowed as offering “predictive analytics natively to Windows Server.” The new tool uses machine learning to “locally analyze Windows Server system data, such as performance …

1. RyokuMas
    Coat

“System Insights” - AKA "Mystic Clippy":

"It looks like you you will be requiring more capacity when the stars align..."

2. Christopher Rogers

See below for details

Copy and paste gone wrong.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Copy and Paste gone wrong

Cippy...

"I see that you want to cut and paste, that will need the next level of OS License. Click here and I will rebuild your system to include this functionality after I debit $5,000 from you bank account."

Is this the SAAS of the future will operate or is it now?

2. Captain Scarlet
      Pint

Re: See below for details

Yeah I saw that and assumed it must be on the link, which I couldn't be arsed to click.

3. ColonelClaw

Question

Who is it who makes use of the GUI-less installs? Is it something that becomes more useful if you need to control many servers? Or thousands of users? Or something else entirely?

Reason I ask is that I run a Win2016 Server in a small (around 15 employees) business, and I can't immediately see how it would benefit our sort of setup. Am I missing out on anything?

1. MonkeyCee

Re: Question

" I can't immediately see how it would benefit our sort of setup."

For your use case, probably not. Even GUI-less desktop installs may not be worth it as a time saver, depending how different each box is from the next. You're probably only re-imaging your server a couple of times of it's life, so again seems hardly worth it.

When you're deploying at least 10 servers, and expect to be re-imaging then every six months then it should prove a time saver.

Personally I dislike using a GUI over a remote connection to do any admin where a misclick would be costly. Even when the daft buggers who set up the OU decided that naming groups (and everything else) along the lines of job_title_tool_ location_ waffle_biscuit_test and job_title_tool_ location_waffle_biscuit_prod, since they are harder to differentiate between with either a GUI or text based.

1. ColonelClaw

Re: Question

Thanks for the answer, makes a lot of sense!

4. Pete 2 Silver badge

Doing the salesman's job for him

> The new tool uses machine learning to “locally analyze Windows Server system data, such as performance counters and events

So when the CPU usage gets to 100% it tells you to buy a faster processor

When the disk gets full it tells you to buy a bigger disk

When the ping times get too long it tells you to upgrade your network

When the box starts paging it tells you to buy more RAM

And as soon as you install it, it tells you to sack the capacity planning team (eliminates the competition)

5. RobertsonCR7
    Trollface

well that sound really fantastic.. servers made with their own magic crystal balls!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon