back to article PETA calls for fish friendly Swedish street signage

Today is World Ocean Day! To celebrate, PETA has asked Mayor of Stockholm, Karin Wanngård, to maybe change a street name to something a bit more fish-friendly. Fiskargatan, or "Fisherman's Street" in Södermalm comes in for stick, with the animal rights organisation suggesting that "Fish Are Friends Street" would better, …

Page:

1. AnonFairBinary

PETA vs. aboriginal heritage... I'll get the popcorn...

https://headsmashedin.ca/

1. TheVogon

Re: PETA vs. aboriginal heritage... I'll get the popcorn...

"with the animal rights organisation suggesting that "Fish Are Friends Street" would better"

Surely "Fish are Tasty Street" ?

1. Hollerithevo

"Fish are Fingers Street" ?

1. onefang

"Fish are Fingers Street" ?

Only with custard.

2. Oliver Mayes

Please stop calling PETA an "animal rights organisation", they kill thousands of healthy animals every year and are just generally a terrible group of people. They're about as interested in animal rights as [insert topical comparison here].

1. Stumpy

They're about as interested in animal rights as [insert topical comparison here].

... as Trump is interested in Demorcacy?

1. VanguardG

The United States is a Republic. Why should Democracy get a look in with the chief executive of a Republic?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@VanguardG

> Why should Democracy get a look in with the chief executive of a Republic?

The USA is a democratic republic. The major difference from a pure democracy (AFAIK there aren't any) is that pure democracy is effectively a tyranny of the majority, with no safeguards to protect minorities.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Stumpy

> ... as Trump is interested in Demorcacy?

... as Stumpy is interested in spelling?

2. macjules

So is anyone from Fishguard automatically a friend of PETA (Pristiophoridae Eating Tasty Anthropoids)?

1. GIRZiM

Re: is anyone from Fishguard automatically a friend of PETA

Only if PETA have an interest in ensuring fish don't fall off the fire and burn holes in your carpet.

3. Fungus Bob

Re: They're about as interested in animal rights as [insert topical comparison here]

...I am in exploring vegan diet options.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: speaking about vegan

What's that about vegan fish? Doesn't PETA want to protect fishes with other diatary choices?

I'm all for carnivore fishes. With lazers.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: speaking about vegan

"I'm all for carnivore fishes. With lazers."

Cod and tuna are carnivores. Dogfish is less tasty but is a small shark. We are far less fussy about the diet of the fish we eat than we are of mammals and birds.

2. onefang

Re: They're about as interested in animal rights as [insert topical comparison here]

"...I am in exploring vegan diet options."

Vegan diet options include mushrooms, you are in danger of becoming a cannibal Fungus Bob.

3. John Tserkezis

"...I am in exploring vegan diet options."

Hey, plants are alive too.

1. JLV

And it is important to educate PETA that even plant diets are mostly based on the subjugation of poor innocent bees.

It's not just honey that must be avoided, anything in supermarkets or farms is likely stained with the evils of bee slavery.

The obvious ethical solution is for vegans to abstain from eating any such food unless they can get official certificates that no bees were involved at all. Starting now.

The government should appoint a committee to study suitable certification schemes. Thoroughly and exhaustively.

1. onefang

Not just bees, but harvesting some crops tends to catch a lot of insects and other small animals in the thrashing blades of the harvesting machines.

2. jake Silver badge
            Pint

Take it from a bee keeper, bees ain't slaves. If they don't like where they are living, they'll leave and find a better place. Or die trying. I don't force or coerce my colonies to hang out where I need them, that would be impossible. Instead, I encourage them by catering to their every whim. They come and go as they see fit, and pretty much do what they want, when they want. On their schedule, not mine. My bees are spoiled rotten, and I like it that way. In return, they over-produce wax, propolis and honey, occasionally produce new queens, and collect too much pollen for their own needs. They allow me to harvest the excess a couple times per year. It's more of a mutualistic symbiotic relationship than any other form of farming.

Mead all around!

2. MacroRodent
          Happy

Hey, plants are alive too.

Yes, that is worrying me. Are there any nutritious rocks?

1. onefang

"Yes, that is worrying me. Are there any nutritious rocks?"

Salt.

2. GIRZiM

Re: Are there any nutritious rocks?

I've heard of some rocks that'll make you forget all about anything else.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

PETA Kills Animals.

"Please stop calling PETA an "animal rights organisation", they kill thousands of healthy animals every year and are just generally a terrible group of people. They're about as interested in animal rights as [insert topical comparison here]."

Agreed. PETA killed 95.9% of the animals brought to their shelter in 2011.

PETA stats over the last 19 years on their kill shelter to the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS

3. Sequin

I once worked at an aquarium in the north of England and PETA kicked off a campaign to try to stop us selling fish and chips in the restaurant - apparently the fish in the aquarium could see their cousins being consumed!

1. Geoffrey W

Sounds like an urban myth to me, like the EU legislating for straight bananas.

2. Daggerchild Silver badge

Heh. That reminds me, I had a tank of goldfish as a kid. One brutalised, killed, and nibbled the corpses of, all of his tankmates until we stopped trying to replace them.

He was eventually eaten by a heron. Karma.

1. BebopWeBop

How did the Heron get in to access the fish tank?

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Joke

Inside Job

He must have a had a heron aid.....

2. Daggerchild Silver badge

"How did the Heron get in to access the fish tank?"

It had help on the inside. The target was translocated across time. Come along, Pond!

4. msknight

PETA... yeah... right...

They'll never live this down. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan-j-winograd/peta-kills-puppies-kittens_b_2979220.html - "People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is an organization that publicly claims to represent the best interest of animals -- indeed their "ethical treatment." Yet approximately 2,000 animals pass through PETA's front door every year and very few make it out alive. The vast majority -- 96 percent in 2011 -- exit the facility out the back door after they have been killed, when Pet Cremation Services of Tidewater stops by on their regular visits to pick up their remains."

- http://nokillnow.com/PETAfreezerActivistCash.htm

OVERVIEW

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has been described as "by far the most successful radical organization in America." The key word is radical. PETA seeks "total animal liberation," according to its president and co-founder, Ingrid Newkirk. That means no meat or dairy, of course; but it also means no aquariums, no circuses, no hunting or fishing, no fur or leather, and no medical research using animals. PETA is even opposed to the use of seeing-eye dogs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: PETA... yeah... right...

"That means no meat or dairy, [...]"

So that means no need for any cattle - except as appropriate religious symbols.

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

"So that means no need for any cattle"

Yeah, they haven't really thought out their endgame.

"How dare you sustain millions of animals as a food source! It is in their interest that we completely decimate or entirely wipe out their breed instead."

2. Gio Ciampa

"People for the Eventual Termination of Animals"

fixed that for you...

1. Kevin Johnston

Should that not be People for the Expedited Termination of Animals?

3. Mark 85

We should slap PITA too hard... they are useful for two reasons:

1) We know where many (but not all) the nutters are.

2) They make the rest of the human race look "normal".

4. JLV

Actually, I was kinda dubious about the portrayal of PETA. No, I don't like them, but I was wondering if that claim wasn't playing with stats. Are these kill % higher than for other shelters? Is PETA getting stuck with a bunch of un-adoptable pets resulting in higher kill stats than other shelters?

Going to Skeptics, found https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/36808/does-peta-euthanize-unwanted-pets-at-its-virginia-headquarters

So, first the numbers do seem high. 80+% kills vs 30-40% at other shelters. Yes, there is the possibility that PETA gets the mutts. But what's really disturbing was the claim that "most PETA kills are within 24hrs", so they don't even try. That's what really left a bad taste in my mouth, because it would be so obscene if it were true.

Mind you, for a Skeptics entry, I found the citations very one-sided, where most of the cited sources could, by their nature, be expected to be very critical of PETA. Still, you have libel laws to combat fake articles. And an opportunity to refute it on Skeptics, which no one in PETA seems to have taken.

So, take that Skeptics with a grain of salt, but if there's any truth to what's driving those numbers, PETA's behavior is even more reprehensible than appears at first glance.

I also wonder what they feed cats there? Maybe they just can't keep them alive? Or only want to release them to vegan pet owners for adoption? I do get that humans have a choice to opt out of meat and dairy, that's just not true of carnivores.

5. Pen-y-gors

"vegan fish"

WTF???

Although our village shop does sell vegan 'black pudding'...

Or are they referring to fish that live on a vegan diet? As our local butcher in Machynlleth says on a sign "All our meat is vegetarian - the cows feed on the green, green grass..."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "vegan fish"

A vegan once fed their cat on a vegan diet. Poor thing almost died as its digestive system could not process such food.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

A vegan once fed their cat on a vegan diet. Poor thing almost died

Hardly surprising - cats are pure carnivores. Amongst other things, they don't have the ability to create taurine (since their usual prey contains large amounts, this isn't usually a problem).

So, unless the vegan food contained all the nutrients that they need (unlikely, unless it's specifically formulated for cats) then they will quite quickly start to die of taurine deficiency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurine

("Taurine is essential for cardiovascular function, and development and function of skeletal muscle, the retina, and the central nervous system". Fine for us (and dogs, and pigs - omnivores in general) because our bodies can synthesise it. Not so much for cats.)

1. TheVogon

"Hardly surprising - cats are pure carnivores"

Mine happily eat sweetcorn, peas, crisps, milk, cheese and pretty much anything else they can steal.

1. israel_hands

Mine happily eat sweetcorn, peas, crisps, milk, cheese and pretty much anything else they can steal.

Yeah, but they can't digest it properly. My cat's a complete bastard for crisps (can't open a packet without him trying to intercept them somewhere between fingers and gob) but he doesn't get any real benefit except for the fact that he likes the taste (and some of the salts will make their way into his system).

As the CrazyCatDude said, felines are obligate carnivores and won't survive on a vegetable diet unless it contains specific additives.

1. Omgwtfbbqtime

"... won't survive on a vegetable diet unless it contains specific additives."

Such as Meat and Fish!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Joke

So, unless the vegan food contained all the nutrients that they need (unlikely, unless it's specifically formulated for cats) then they will quite quickly start to die of taurine deficiency.

So as long as you give your cats a nice bowl of Redbull along with their veggie-surprise (Surprise! There's no meat.) they should be 'fine', right?

1. onefang

"veggie-surprise (Surprise! There's no meat.)"

Reminds me of a couple of dishes I cook for myself all the time. You may have heard of tuna-surprise, where you take a can of tuna, toss it in a saucepan, and add what ever else you can find in the kitchen that might go with tuna. Except I always made it the same way, called it tuna-not-very-surprising. The other one was almost identical, except I used chicken instead of tuna, and called that one tuna-very-surpised.

Don't get me started on my signature dish, 'roossotto. Australia, where not only is it legal to eat the national animal, they sell it in supermarkets.

3. handleoclast

Hardly surprising - cats are pure carnivores. Amongst other things, they don't have the ability to create taurine

Fun fact one: tuna meat contains almost no taurine. So if you see a bargain on tinned tuna and buy caseloads figuring to save on cat food, your cat is fucked. It's usually the heart and retinas that suffer irreversible damage, and the heart damage can lead to death.

Everybody with a cat is going to point out that you can get tuna-flavour cat food, so I must be wrong.

Fun fact two: on those cat foods that list the ingredients, the flavour ingredient (beef, chicken, tuna, rabbit or whatever) is present at around 4%. Enough that when you open the can it smells vaguely of the flavour. For all I know it may even taste vaguely like it. The rest of the protein is anonymous, but makes up for the lack of taurine in the 4% tuna.

Fun fact three: Aldi chew sticks for cats, such as Chicken and Liver, contain 16% of each of the flavours. So 16% chicken, 16% liver. Which might explain why, if you can persuade your cat to eat the first one, it is likely to go mad for the things.

Fun fact four: the Aldi chew sticks don't have a strong aroma. But what there is remains trapped in the wrapper, so scrunch the wrapper under the cat's nose as you squeeze the stick out. That will often persuade a cat that it really is edible.

Fun fact five: the Aldi chew sticks are significantly cheaper than the Tesco "cheap shit" ones, which are significantly cheaper than the Tesco "own brand" ones, which are significantly cheaper than the "big name" ones.

1. jake Silver badge

My cats use birds and rodents as chew sticks, as nature intended. I suspect that they'd move on if I offered them one from Aldi or Tesco ...

2. ukgnome

@handleoclast

I think you need to look up the word 'Fun'

Also whilst you are at it I found a couple of your 'Facts' also dubious

I believe you should of called these 'Boring Opinions'

1. 's water music
              Happy

Re: @handleoclast

I believe you should of called these 'Boring Opinions'

Upvoted for trolling with 'should of'

4. Steve the Cynic

cats are pure carnivores.

The pedantic technical term is "obligate carnivores" - they *must* include meat in their diets - rather than "pure" carnivores (which would mean they can't eat anything else).

6. Stoneshop
    Holmes

PETA should transfer copyright

of all names with 'fish' in them to an actual fish. Then those fish could take these matters into their own han, eh, fins.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon