back to article British egg producers saddened by Google salad emoji update

British egg producers have expressed disappointment at the removal of the oval-shaped favourite from Google's salad emoji. The UX manager for Google emoji Jennifer Daniel confirmed the change in a Tweet. The now egg-free salad is more vegan-friendly, and therefore more inclusive, Daniel explained. There's big talk about …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More inclusive?

Given the ever growing permutations on human emojis in terms of skin shade, hair color, hair type, freckles and what not, I'm surprised they didn't just add another salad to appease the vegans. Removing something doesn't make it more inclusive, it is less include for those who like eggs in their salad.

Personally I would find either inedible, as there's no dressing!

1. ratfox
      Angel

Re: More inclusive?

They should give people the possibility to add eggs to the salad using a zero-width joiner!

1. ibmalone

This would also introduce the possibility of caesar salads, and warm pancetta or salmon salads. I'm not a vegan, but I don't believe eggs have any place in salad, or sandwiches for that matter.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

but I don't believe eggs have any place in salad

I refer the honourable commentard to Salade Nicoise.. Which has, as one of the requred ingredients, hard-boiled eggs..

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"[...] Salade Nicoise.. Which has, as one of the requred ingredients, hard-boiled eggs.."

Not forgetting the fish.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>Not forgetting the fish.

Or the beef!

Says he remembering the CJD/Mad cow epidemic in the UK many years back, when beef extracts were discovered in many things including 'vegetarian' foods...

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: zero-width joiner...

You mean the layer of margarine from a Greater London sandwich bar?

2. ibmalone

but I don't believe eggs have any place in salad

I refer the honourable commentard to Salade Nicoise.. Which has, as one of the requred ingredients, hard-boiled eggs..

Well, to each their own I suppose. (Wanders off to find the vomit emoji...)

2. ibmalone

Today I learned the people who like eggs in salad are a vindictive lot!

Eggstremists you might say.

2. Aitor 1

It is the same sad thing as deciding that all races, creeds, etc have to be represented in a movie.

Well, if the movie is supposed to happen in China, most people in the movie, unless there is a very good explanation, should be chinese. Same for the us.. most people should be american.

If a minority is 10% of the population, parity in numbers is discrimination. Or you can come up with a good movie and try to be inclusive and thats it, do not force/reqrite characters, etc.

Going back to the egg.. it is NOT more inclusive. Non vegans will NOT be represented by that salad.. and they are a majority. So it is not more inclusive..

My guess is that they are so focused on discriminating people while claiming to be doing it for equality that they lost it.

Note: I feel that I have to qualify my post, as otherwise ppl will make assumptions. I am not a racist (not but..), and dont think discrimination is a good thing. First of all, because I have suffered it first hand in the UK, and second hand though my wife, as she is both american and jew (and boy they hate both in Spain).

I believe in equality, and discriminating majorities is not going to get equality. Of course, people with disabilities have to be helped, that is another matter.

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

... I am not a racist...

Saying that is probably racist these days.

2. ratfox
        WTF?

Non vegans will NOT be represented by that salad

Seriously?

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: Non vegans will NOT be represented by that salad

I'm not vegan and I don't feel represented by that salad. Or any other salad, by the way.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Non vegans will NOT be represented by that salad

Seriously?"

Uh, YES. Once again a crackpot minority have imposed their values on everyone else. We are forced to bend over backward to accommodate the thin-skinned 5% while ignoring the rights and opinions of the other 95%. When you limit things for everyone to accommodate one group, you have excluded the rights and values of everyone else.

It's also part of a sneaky campaign to make meat and the humans who eat it Evil. Well, FU Google and friends, I'm having fish for dinner and refuse to feel guilty about it.

3. Fungus Bob

"Of course, people with disabilities have to be helped, that is another matter."

And this is what Google is doing. Vegans are unable to see why nobody wants to be part of their sad, malnourished minority.

4. Monty Cantsin

"Non vegans will NOT be represented by that salad.. and they are a majority. "

Reminds me of the time my wife brought a home cooked meal to her father's house. He opened the dish and said "what is is?". "Vegetarian lasagne", she replies. He pushed it away saying "But sure I'm not a vegetarian."

There's nothing about not having an egg in a salad that excludes non-vegans. Non vegans don't (and don't have to) have an animal product in each and every meal in order to maintain their non-vegan status.

However, are they not concerned that breatharianism are being excluded by the lack of an emoji for no food?

3. Captain Hogwash

No. More eggsclusive!

4. Velv
      Devil

Dressing?

Some mayonnaise perhaps?

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

Heinz Salad cream, Shirley?

1. skalamanga

*sandwich cream

1. Anonymous Cow Herder

Re: Sandwich cream

Eyes on the news there, Skalamanga. Have an up-vote

5. Spudley

More inclusive eh? What about those who are allergic to tomatoes?

But seriously, this whole emoji thing is getting stupid. The more of them there are, the less value they have.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More inclusive? What about us diabetics???

Eggs are one of the few things i am still allowed to enjoy these days.

7. Roland6 Silver badge

Well given my children are going through a phase where tomatos and "green stuff" is 'yuk', but will eat eggs, I don't see how this is more inclusive...

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Who is behind all this?

I cannot hear the word "inclusion" anymore. Extreme-alt-left(?)-elite with their stupid world order movement?

Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, Arstechnica, Google, Microsoft are all part of this crap.

Can people get normal again? Something is getting very wrong since 2015...

Who is behind all this? Who are the elite persons we say "thank you"? Is it a religious movement? A political movement?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Who is behind all this?

Noisy, strident groups of intolerant people. They believe the rest of the world should be forced to share their misunderstandings of the universe and the illogical behaviors those misinformed worldviews promote. They know inside that the rest of the world disagrees and won't play along. So they scheme for POWER to force their bullshit on the rest of us. "Tolerance" and "diversity" are used to force acceptance of fringe groups and ideas, but do not extend to the rights and opinions of the rest of us.

Sadly, these nutjobs eventually take over most organizations and turn them to their twisted ideology. Scary how much of our world is controlled by ideological career "activists".

9. TheVogon

Cracking story. I'm sure we all know eggactly where they are coming from.

10. Montreal Sean

This would exclude my late father in law...

For him a salad had real mayonnaise, ham, potatoes, more ham, and thick cut bacon.

He didn't believe vegetables had any place in a salad.

11. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Again.

Pander to the minorities and completely disregard the wishes of the OVERWHELMING egg eating populace.

12. TheVogon

I make sure that there is always a vegan and vegetarian option at my dinners parties:

It's f o home.

2. TheProf
  3. Locky

Pointless emojis

I did not fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat salad....

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Pointless emojis

Ron Swanson: “There’s been a mistake. You’ve accidentally given me the food that my food eats.”

Server: “Salad is traditionally the first course at a wedding.”

Ron Swanson: “Is a gerbil marrying a rabbit?”

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I did not fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat salad....

Eggsactly!

3. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

You don't win friends with salad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Kj17oVHAk

4. Allan George Dyer
      Boffin

@Locky - "I did not fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat salad...."

Top? Tell that to the mosquitoes.

1. Chris King
        Mushroom

"Top? Tell that to the mosquitoes."

Or the cockroaches.

5. Jamie Jones Silver badge

I did not fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat salad....

You're a killer-whale?

6. Franco

I think it was Jeff in Rules of Engagement who said "That's not food. That's what food eats."

On a more on-topic note, enough with the emojis. We don't need one for every single thing. I almost feel nostalgic for the days we had to type them ourselves. ;-)

1. SkippyBing

'We don't need one for every single thing. I almost feel nostalgic for the days we had to type them ourselves.'

These days I just find it easier to type 'raised eyebrow face' or 'egg salad emoji' rather than spend 10 minutes scrolling through all the options. It's like they're trying to reinvent the impracticality of hieroglyphics or Chinese.

1. Eddy Ito

Emojis are worse than Chinese. At least Chinese simplifies things a bit since there are no conjugations of verbs or the silliness of attributing gender to inanimate objects. Emojis don't simplify anything and go out of the way to be obscure.

Emoji salad, how fitting.

7. Mark 85

I've always thought emojis were completely pointless. Something cute and that's about it. Now they're becoming a major problem for everyone? A tad overblown for those with an extreme sense of self-importance. And yes, this "announcement" is a bit overblown by someone obviously thinking "job security because "I'm important". Woop-de-doo.. much ado about next to nothing.

8. Tom 7

Incomprehensible emojis are only required when the other content is incomprehensible. They merely advertise inadequate content.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Salad...

Angry fruit salad. Which appears to be the order of the day for the modern UI like TIFKAM.

4. Chris Jasper

Somebody think of the poor eggs

Eggsasperating...........

5. Dr_N
    Stop

Cracking Up.

This is eggasperating.

1. Chris G

Re: Cracking Up.

Eggsactly, it's an eggsasperating attack on freedom of eggspression.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: They've been...

eggsterminated.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

inclusion and diversity

by removing an egg?

An egg?

The worlds gone mad!

Won't somebody think of the chickens, they've crossed many roads for us.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon