back to article GNOMEs beat Microsoft: Git Virtual File System to get a new name

Microsoft is going to rename the Git Virtual File System to eliminate its clash with GNOMErs. The purpose of the Git Virtual File System was laudable: Redmond's developers were sick of taking the afternoon off after typing “git clone” (even “git checkout” could take hours), so they gave GitHub users a workaround. At the time …

Page:

1. Eek

I'll do it first VFSy mcVFSface?

But to be honest I expect SAVFS or (Super Awesome Virtual File System) to win out.

1. yoganmahew

Along those lines...

GittyMcGitFace Virtual File System...

1. Stevie

Re: Along those lines...

If you would entertain a small change to Gitty McGitFace System it would initialize to GMGFS, which, in the time-honoured way, would eventually be misremembered as GMG File System and prompt furious corrections when mentioned both here and on Wikipedia.

2. fidodogbreath

Re: Along those lines...

Now, that's proper Gnomenclature.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All your VFS are belong to ms.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GVFS

Gay Video Filming System

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

NTFS

New Torvalds File System

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GFYS

Go Fuck Your Self

4. Unshakeable

+1 for GFYS

Having just wasted a few early morning hours with Microsoft at InfoSec Europe where it was the only presentation that didnt focus on the problem, but telling you that Microsoft Cloud was the solution.

(they spent so long selling the product they ran out of time to even mention the problem or the topic of the presentation )

How about leaving the conflict in acronyms in place and we'll chose as customers what we want to call it ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MVFS

Let's face it, they will eventually rebrand this under the Microsoft umbrella, so let's get ahead of the curve and use that as the name for its filesystem.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: MVFS

Boring!

MiLFS - Microsoft Licensed File System

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That would go well with their Critical Update Notification Tool from Windows 98.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      FAIL

does GVFS (or, ahem, MVFS) even WORK under non-Micro-shaft-OS's ???

THIS thread suggests very little has been done:

https://github.com/Microsoft/GVFS/issues/4

maybe fusefs or similar might be a possible solution, but I'm not aware of anything significant being done here, and couldn't find easily with a quicky online search. (gvfs-fuse-daemon is apparently for gnome's VFS of the same name, not for the Github one).

I fear that this will become like EXCHANGE with it's own "Microsoft windows API" for windows, and potentially broken things for IMAP and POP and basically "everyone else". I remember actually seeing something like this happen where many API-related things were just 'not available' if you used Linux or FreeBSD and had a regular IMAP e-mail client like Thunderbird - people would try to send me files, they'd show up as a link I couldn't access, things like that. "But if you use Outlook for your e-mail". No. Just no.

Nice way to ALIENATE over half of the people on GitHub! We won't do our dev work on Win-10-nic no matter *HOW* or *HOW* *MUCH* you beg (read: coerce)!!!

1. MatthewSt

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/devops/2018/03/15/gvfs-for-mac/

In other news, it's open source so why don't you write it yourself? Isn't that what the anti "micro-shaft" pro OSS movement believe?

If you're already on Git, then chances are you don't need this solution. It's designed to make working with humongous git repos bearable

6. Waseem Alkurdi

How about

GitHub Virtual File System? The acronym becomes an unpleasant GHVFS.

Seeing that GitHub is embraced successfully by M$.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How about

I was thinking along the same lines as you and thought GEEE.

1. Waseem Alkurdi
        Pint

Geee, GEEE! Wow!

A virtual (alcohol-free) pint to you sir!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FUER

One letter back from the original acronym - forming a German word meang in favour of / instead of / in place of.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FUER

"[...] forming a German word meang in favour of / instead of / in place of."

I misread the word owing to the context of M$. .....Godwin's Law.

2. Waseem Alkurdi
      Joke

Re: FUER

And have the FUSE guys, er, complaining?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Filesystem Under Development

1. Waseem Alkurdi

FUD!

That's not Fear, Uncertanity, Doubt but Filesystem Under Development!

1. anothercynic Silver badge

@Waseem Alkurdi

Wouldn't that be FSUD? ;-)

Although I like this very much!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

OK, now that gets my vote, because I suspect they'd go for that simply because they think it would frustrate searches for what FUD presently stands for and its (long time) association with MS.

So we'll make sure it remains visible..

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"there’s only 136,000 code points so some duplication is eventually inevitable"

There, FTFY. Unicode! Unicode FTW!

And let me suggest ☮️VFS.

1. cream wobbly

CNDVFS it is then!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WinFS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinFS

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about

DDMSFS

The Drop Dead MicroSoft File System

I'm now gone from GitHub. They probably have all my code but for my peace of mind, I've voted with my feet. Several of my developer friends did this as soon as the rumours surfaced. We will not have anything to do with MS.

One has even modded the copyright notice on his code to add 'Not to be used on any Operating System owned or controlled by Microsoft Corp or any of its subsidiaries'.

I won't go that far but there is a real feeling of hurt that GitHub has betrayed FOSS people big time

1. Waseem Alkurdi

One has even modded the copyright notice on his code to add 'Not to be used on any Operating System owned or controlled by Microsoft Corp or any of its subsidiaries'.

I see that as a joke, but that's not really enforceable, because we and our GitHub code are property of M$ now!

(No ... just kidding: If the code was under GPL, then there's a clause that prevents the author from controlling the manner in which the code is used)

I won't go that far but there is a real feeling of hurt that GitHub has betrayed FOSS people big time

$$$$ talks, abstract ideas and perfect notions walk.

1. Waseem Alkurdi

Why the downvotes? I'm not against open source, in case it sounded like I am

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What a sad and frankly pathetic individual he must be.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What a sad and frankly pathetic individual he must be.

Maybe, but he/she would not exactly be the first one either - I've seen this a couple of times over the years.

3. oiseau
      Thumb Up

Hello:

I'm now gone from GitHub. They probably have all my code but for my peace of mind, I've voted with my feet. Several of my developer friends did this as soon as the rumours surfaced. We will not have anything to do with MS.

+1

That's the way to do it.

... there is a real feeling of hurt that GitHub has betrayed FOSS people big time.

Ahh ....

The all embracing power of a few billions.

Kudos to you and those who follow your example, sir. (and a round of beers ...)

O.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"One has even modded the copyright notice on his code to add 'Not to be used on any Operating System owned or controlled by Microsoft Corp or any of its subsidiaries'."

What was the project? I have a sudden urge to run it on Windows, under Bash for Windows if I must.

I suppose I've always assumed that if you post the source code, then any license is effectively meaningless.

What are they going to do, set the lawyers on you? That's not exactly deterred piracy now has it?

5. ckm5

Guess your friend is never going to use Linux? Or countless other pieces of OSS that MSFT has contributed to?

It's all fine and good to fight the good fight, but not when the fight ended centuries ago.

Let me give you a hint - Linux and OSS won.

"If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won." - Linus Torvalds, 1998 - http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9810/01/whylinux.idg/

Not moving on is just childish.

6. vistisen

'I won't go that far but there is a real feeling of hurt that GitHub has betrayed FOSS people big time'

So if some megacorp came and offered you billions for some code you'd written, You would stick it to the man and...?

No one has betrayed anyone, unless it stood in the terms and conditions, "we promise never to sell our hard work to Microsoft"

12. John70

Let's see, start off with GitVFS / GitFS and over time the community will shortened it to GVFS / GFS

13. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The really smart thing would be SCVFS: Source Control Virtual File System which would only define an interface. The interface would provide the semantics but the implementation could be Git or any other source control S/W.

1. Waseem Alkurdi

The SC part reminds me of this piece of crap: Visual SourceSafe.

<silence></silence>

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The SC part reminds me of this piece of crap: Visual SourceSafe."

You must be too young. SCCS. Where do you thing MS got the idea from?

1. anothercynic Silver badge

SCCS

*spasm* *twitch* *twitch* *gag*

You know this means I have to go back to therapy, right? (oh dear God, why! why!)

1. FIA Silver badge

Re: SCCS

You know this means I have to go back to therapy, right? (oh dear God, why! why!)

Just came here to post pretty much that.

Some things aren't worth joking about... or reminding people of.....

I actually worked with SCCS where someone had edited the .rcs file (was it??) so we actually had different record of history that didn't match reality.....

Now WHO'S LOCKED THE FILE???

<goes for a lie down>

14. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

$BIGCORPs, eh?

I wonder how many man (& woman) hours of meetings they needed before they realised they couldn't think of a name and decided to throw it open to everybody.

1. Waseem Alkurdi
      Joke

Re: $BIGCORPs, eh?

NO! M$ is clearly in the spirit of the Communist-Juche Idea (er, FOSS, whatever!) and decided to give it to the people to vote!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: $BIGCORPs, eh?

"NO! M$ is clearly in the spirit of the Communist-Juche Idea (er, FOSS, whatever!) and decided to give it to the people to vote!"

Past experience of any type of vote in this context is the final name (or short list) has already been decided and then they'll go with their choice and "well, the people chose the name" even if it didn't win a popular vote.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CVFS - Clippy Virtual File System, everyone loves clippy.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Judge us by our actions"

"Shit, I guess that means we now need to stop acting like an entitled bully, and acknowledge the existence of other peoples' projects."

17. T. F. M. Reader

EEEVFS

Embrace, Extend...

1. picturethis

Re: EEEVFS

Damn,,, you beat me to it. Have an upvote.

18. Lord Buddha

FATGIT

Seems obvious when purposed for very fat git repositories.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like