back to article No lie-in this morning? Thank the Moon's gravitational pull

Are you tired and grumpy after such a long day? Well, now you know what to blame: the Moon. Scientists from the University of Wisconsin–Madison and Columbia University, in the US, found that days on Earth grew longer as the Moon inched further away. Some 1.4 billion years ago, a day lasted just over 18 hours, the eggheads …

Page:

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Damn glad for this change. With an 18 hours day I wouldn't get any sleep at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Depends - the hours could have been shorter if we had still divided a day in 24 parts, regardless of the actual rotation speed.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

In your world, would it be 18× 60 minute hours or 24× 45 minute hours in a day?

If you're fixed on 24 hours a day, then 45 minute hours would make sense, but do you really only want a 45 minute lunch break? That's barely enough time for 3 pints.

1. el kabong

That's easy to fix, it would still be 24×60 minute hours in a day...

and 60×45 seconds in an hour.

See how easy that was, by shrinking the minute to 45 seconds your objection is fully resolved, why complicate things, there's no need for that.

As you can attest LDS' remark above stands correct.

1. Lars Silver badge
            Coat

Re: That's easy to fix, it would still be 24×60 minute hours in a day...

"by shrinking the minute to 45 seconds your objection is fully resolved, why complicate things, there's no need for that.".

You are not there yet. All you have to do is to shorten the second accordingly.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

...do you really only want a 45 minute lunch break?

People in Norway only have 30 minute lunch breaks anyway. And that's technically unpaid. (Salary calculations are usually based on 7.5 hour work days excluding half an hour for lunch.) :(

1. Patched Out

Wait ...

... you mean people in other countries get paid for their lunch break?

Where?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Wait ...

You need to learn to write better contracts, son. Even in my 9-5 days the company started paying me when I set foot out my front door, and continued paying me until I returned home. Granted, some of it was comp time or flex time, but I was compensated nonetheless.

Justification? I wouldn't be traveling if they didn't ask me to, so they could damn well pay me for it! Yes, a few companies balked ... but there is plenty of work out there. Their loss, not mine.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Thumb Up

"a 45 minute lunch break? That's barely enough time for 3 pints."

Amateur!!!

2. Dave K

Agreed! Now, how old will I be once we get that magical 25th hour in each day I wonder...

1. Mips
        Childcatcher

Yes and...

...not only will the days get longer but the moon will fly higher still until eventually it departs orbit! (Yes this will happen; look in Wikipedia). Just think of the fix we will be in then with no tides and very long and cold nights and long red hot days. How's your beach holiday now?

And another thing; some lunatics want to build tidal power plant. Mad! It will slow the earth's rotation even sooner.

3. Sykowasp

Just think, in another 1.4B years the day could be 30 hours long! Perfect!

Even waiting another 400M years would get me another two hours in bed.

4. Mips
      Childcatcher

More like...

....you would not have any time for work.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How large of a tide would that have been?

And how large would the Moon have looked in the sky? It would have been impressive to sit on the beach and see that huge moon hovering over the ocean, until you saw that huge wave coming at you like a tsunami and you had to run for your life!

1. Christoph

Re: How large of a tide would that have been?

Tidal force varies as inverse cube. I make it 5618 times bigger.

248,548 / 13,981 is 17.7775552535584. Cubed is 5618.444709444143.

That's a big tide. That's a super-tsunami.

1. Michael Strorm Silver badge

@DougS; This video is an artist's impression of what it would look like even closer than *that*- specifically, if the surface of the moon was at the distance from earth of the International Space Station (circa 400km, which would require the moon's centre to be at a distance of 2158km).

Except that- as you already realised- in reality, it wouldn't because- leaving aside the fact the video is slightly speeded up (the moon would take more like five minutes to cross the sky)- the tsunamis generated by the tidal forces at *that* distance would have waves literally kilometres high and running for your life probably wouldn't do much good.

Not to mention that- as also spotted by Brewster's Angle Grinder- the earth would be stretched, leading to huge earthquakes and increased heating resulting in volcanism that would probably boil the oceans away anyway, so you'd probably die due to lava rather than flood.

Which is nice.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Are you sure?

Are we sure it would stay in one piece and not be tidally broken if orbiting at 400km? That seems too close some how. Especially to then recede, and not have atmospheric drag and crash (though the size of the thing, the energy it would contain in orbital velocity probably could never be slowed by just atmosphere...).

[edit]

Oops! You said *if* it was, not *it* was... my mistake.

1. Michael Strorm Silver badge

Re: Are you sure?

@TechnicalBen; I rephrased my comment slightly after posting, so I apologise if (as I assume) you were replying to what I'd originally said.

And yes, you're correct- the Slate article (the second link) makes clear that indeed the moon *would* be tidally broken (which I should have added myself), "So we wouldn’t even have a Moon; we’d have a thick debris ring composed of ex-Moon. That would be cool to see, too, except for the whole everyone being dead thing."

Which is also nice.

2. Martin Gregorie

And for an impression of what the incoming high tide might look like, just watch 'Interstellar' again.

The scene on the water world where their spacecraft lands in a vast area of shallow water and only just gets away before the tidal wave swamps it may be pretty close to what you'd see on Earth when the moon was still in a close orbit. Except, that is, that both Earth and Moon were rather hot at the time: think glowing lava rather than blue water.

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

"How large would it have looked in the sky?"

About 9 times large than today. But it would be 80 times fainter - because the light it reflects, which hasn't changed, is now spread out out over a much larger "area". My fag packet suggests the full moon would only be about as bright as Sirius. So it wouldn't be visible in the day. Eclipses would be far more common, though.

I used to know the numbers about tidal heights. But I can't fault the answer above (except for using miles). Remember tides are very complicated, shaped by local geography, and the sun is responsible for about a third of the height. However the most important thing to worry about is not the ocean tide but the tidal movement of the Earth's crust. Imagine the fucking earth's surface raising and shrinking by 100s of metres twice a fucking day.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"But it would be 80 times fainter..."

The inverse-squared law applies.

3. StephenH

Re: "Eclipses would be far more common, though."

The eclipses wouldn't have been as pretty though. They would completely block the sun without the annular ring effect

4. Steve the Cynic

About 9 times large than today. But it would be 80 times fainter - because the light it reflects, which hasn't changed, is now spread out out over a much larger "area". My fag packet suggests the full moon would only be about as bright as Sirius. So it wouldn't be visible in the day. Eclipses would be far more common, though.

You need a new fag packet. At night, the moon reflects(1) light from the *Sun*, and that light, per square metre of lunar surface is just as bright with a close-in moon as with a far-out moon.

(1) No, it *scatters* it. The difference is important, because although the scattering isn't uniform, it is roughly inverse-square in perceived intensity.

So there are several effects going on...

* The light hitting the moon is neither brighter nor dimmer.

* The light that we would see in a particular circular milliarc-second is increased by the decreased distance, on an inverse-square basis.

* The light that we would see in a particular circular milliarc-second is decreased by the decreased number of square metres in the circular milliarc-second, on a positive-square basis.

* The above two effects cancel out, so the circular milliarc-second would look neither brighter nor dimmer than today.

* The moon would occupy many, many more circular milliarc-seconds of sky, so it would overall be much brighter.

1. jake Silver badge

All that my stoner neighbor took from Steve the Cynic's well thought out post:

Far-out moon, man!

3. Mark 85

It would have been impressive to sit on the beach and see that huge moon hovering over the ocean, until you saw that huge wave coming at you like a tsunami and you had to run for your life!

Cowabunga!!!! Surf's up!!!! But the downside is all the volcanic activity from the Earth's crust being pulled.

3. the spectacularly refined chap

Why now?

OK, so I get that the report is a new regurgitation of old new, but the actual headline items are hardly news are they? This has been known about for decades, but the BBC and El Reg as going on as if this is some startling new discovery.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why now?

I think the researches are focusing more on the impacts such changes had on Earth orbit and thereby climate.

4. jake Silver badge

If the days got longer ...

... Shirley the nights did, too. So you're actually getting more shut-eye than you would have a couple billion years ago. So quit yer bitchin' & git back to work!

5. jmch Silver badge
    Happy

Interesting times...

I've often thought our 7-day week and uneven number of days a month were overly clunky to work with even though I understand their link to the Earth's motion. But good to know we can change them.

I propose a 5-day week. We'll eliminate Tuesday and Wednesday*, which leaves a more satisfying proportion of the week as weekend. 6 weeks a month gives us 30-day months, but we'll eliminate July and August (screw you, Caesers!), and finally Sept / Oct / Nov / Dec can really be the 7/8/9/10th months. 300-day years would give us days of a bit over 29 hours, so we gain 5 hours a day to sleep and/or do all those things that a day never seems long enough for.

Now, all we need to do is calculate how far away the moon needs to be, and start pushing!

*I would have eliminated Monday but since it's the day dedicated to the moon, kind of appropriate to keep it

1. rmason
      Joke

Re: Interesting times...

Ladies of the earth would unite and stop your plan.

Can you imagine getting them all to sign off on agreeing to a be a bit older? And to "age faster" going forwards?

You try telling my mum she's has to agree to be a couple of years older, because we're moving the moon.

1. jake Silver badge

Nah. It's all the same number of seconds after the Epoch (plus some before, if you're old enough).

2. Pen-y-gors
        Joke

@rmason

Too right - PMS is bad enough every 29 days - no way do we want shorter months!

3. jmch Silver badge

We can start counting years in Hexadecimal :)

1. ArrZarr Silver badge
          Joke

@jmch

Not all ladies are witches, my friend.

2. Keith Oborn

One friend once said of another "X is now 1F, but looks 3F"

As it happens, X is now 3F +2

I managed to retire just 4 days before achieving my 7th bit

6. Velv
    Pint

How I feel is nothing to do with the moon...

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Dean Martin

1. Clarecats

Re: How I feel is nothing to do with the moon...

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Dean Martin

Who appears never to have drunk coffee.

1. cbars Bronze badge
        Headmaster

Re: How I feel is nothing to do with the moon...

drank

7. The Jon

Thank you senor MacGyver...

Central American Villagers: Thank you senor MacGyver, you saved our village!

MacGyver: Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitational pull.

(credit The Simpsons ca.1992)

8. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Climate

"the amount of solar radiation received on Earth also changes affecting the climate."

But this is due to all those filthy hydrocarbon-powered cars yanking the sun closer to us, right? Or, heaven forbid, incandescent lightbulbs...

Because, you know, those are the things that lead to climate change; anything out of our control wouldn't be taxable you see, so it can't be allowed.

1. NomNomNom

Re: Climate

well during a period in which solar output as measured by satellites has dropped while global temperature has gone up, id say hydrocarbons are a far better explanation for the warming, wouldn't you?

1. DJV Silver badge
        Facepalm

Actually, I always thought that climate change was all due to the World Dryer Corporation - I mean to say, people, the clue is in the name!

2. W.S.Gosset
        FAIL

Actually global temperature stopped increasing in 1998 and has been dropping since 2000. That's why the old raw(ish) temp.datasets got pulled around 2005 and why they have been replaced with models. I'm not joking: HADCRUT4 etc are models, not data.

Oh, and "extreme weather events" are running at half the long term average. Ask the insurance companies' catastrophe modellers, who don't have the luxury of ignoring data in favour of meme.

1. NomNomNom

"That's why the old raw(ish) temp.datasets got pulled around 2005 and why they have been replaced with models"

Which only begs the question what data you are using to declare global temperature stopped increasing in 1998 and has been dropping since 2000! Because by your loose definition all temperature datasets will be "models" - hence your admission in brackets.

3. Jtom

The oceans absorb solar radiation, and the sun plus ocean cycles, created by decades of absorbing solar energy, determine the air temps. It is obvious looking at the heat content and volume of the oceans compared to the heat content and volume of the atmosphere, that the oceans drive the temps.

2. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

You are well behind the times!

CO2 is sooo 2017. The current scare is all about PLASTIC!

Find a way to connect astronomy to the use of plastic bags...

1. herman

It is just amazing to me how the antiplastics crowd are grasping at straws and trying to get plastic straws outlawed. Almost as if they all have shares in Mondi paper mills.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't the human circadian rhythm ~ 25 hours? If I'm right, why? Surely it should be shorter than 24, not longer?

1. Tom 7

Re Circadian rhythm

Its always best to have your circadian rhythm longer than the thing it needs to sync to - otherwise you might fall asleep and miss something!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like