back to article All is swell at Dell: Look, first storage share gain since closing EMC deal

Dell revenues soared in its first fiscal 2019 quarter, compared to the year-ago period, with losses down two-thirds and server income leaping 41 per cent. For the first quarter of the 2019 financial year – the three months to May 4 – revenues were $21.4bn, 19 per cent higher than the $18bn reported a year ago. The net loss was …

1. baspax

I have a stupid question

Why is this 41% leap being reported without asking the obvious question? Why and how?

What happened last year? And what changed this year?

1. Michael Duke

Re: I have a stupid question

The obvious is they took the eye off of the ball during transition and now that is behind them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's a stupid answer.

2. iPhonePhan

If you look at their IDC statistics, their growth was in mainstream revenue, meaning that this is NOT attributed to a hyperscale deal, and is reflective of traditional customers (SME, Gov, Fed, Enterprise, etc...). Something is working for them...

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

VMWare remains the most valuable part

Approx. 33% margins compared to less than 10% on everything else.

As with all other US companies sales in non-dollar markets have benefitted over the last year from the weaker dollar.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

pretty simple explanation...all Y/Y data to date was misleadingly negative because of the delta's between Dell's fiscal year and Ex-EMC's calendar year. This is the first catchup where everything is on the same calendar. Which put another way, the past 4 quarters of doom and gloom have been way overstated, and the miraculous numbers here are as well.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Weren't 4Q18 results 21.935Bn so this is actually a QoQ decline? This just looks like an easy YoY compare vs 1Q18.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Numbers

An anonymous HPE staffer wrote:

"Weren't 4Q18 results 21.935Bn so this is actually a QoQ decline? This just looks like an easy YoY compare vs 1Q18."

We compare year on year, typically not quarter to quarter.

C.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm, guess the NetApp leaning register knows no bounds...this article hidden now unless searched for, doesn't even show up chronologically in the DC news anymore...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like