back to article From Russia with(out) Zuck: Popular Facebook boss gets another invite to turn down

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is facing calls to appear in front of Russian lawmakers, who – clearly aware that the chances of him accepting are almost zero – insist the invitation alone is noteworthy. The Facebook boss is the political witness du jour, with parliamentarians across the world clamouring for him to appear before …

1. Blockchain commentard

Probably inviting him over to give their fake news adverts, and political bias posts, to him directly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Probably inviting him over to give their fake news adverts,

Slightly more complex...

They recently voted their counter-sanctions legislation (unanimously with no abstentions - opposition, nationalists, communists and Putin cronies).

It have not read the final version so this may be out of date. The draft had some very interesting paragraphs, namely criminal responsibility for assisting in foreign sanctions enforcement and criminal responsibility for actions leading to "collective punishment" against the country.

If I was him (or any sufficiently "big" exec from a western country) I would not go there. It may take him a couple of year to come back and he may come back with a "Здесь был Вася" tatoo on his butt.

2. BillG
      Devil

Politicians worldwide are less concerned about what Zuck may have on the public, and more concerned with what Zuck might have on them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Russophobic?

I almost spat out my herbal tea reading that.

https://techcrunch.com/2009/05/26/mark-zuckerberg-and-yuri-milner-talk-about-facebooks-new-investment-video/

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/16/technology/a-russian-facebook-bet-pays-off-big.html

Facebook is linked to Russia, which makes you wonder about other things that have been going on.

3. Khaptain Silver badge

Very (un)Popular at the moment

I wonder how El Zuck feels about receiving so much attention lately ? A little under pressure maybe..

Shirley he has nothing to hide....

1. danwill
      Devil

Re: Very (un)Popular at the moment

<quote>

Shirley he has nothing to hide....

</quote>

Shirley? Who is that? ;^)

1. Fungus Bob

"Shirley? Who is that?"

Nobody knows - Zuck is hiding her.

2. codejunky Silver badge

I do feel sorry for him at the moment. He provides something people want and freely choose to use, then gets dragged over the coals by every idiot gov who only wish people would like them half as much.

I hold the same opinion of Google who are also being held up as the villain, while the accusers likely enjoy the products and services it offers. Hopefully the witch hunt against success will end soon. First it was companies following the tax law, now its companies following law in general.

4. MajDom

Endearing how Russia continues its important nation posture

Every time something gets the press' attention for a while, Russia gets all dressed up to express its opinion. As if it has any kind of authority beyond the mediocre fabricated image it tries to project.

It's Zimbabwe with a stockpile of weapons, a caption that should accompany all articles about Russia's opinion.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Open letter to Zuck

Dear Mr. Zuckerberg:

If you do not come and stand in front of the inquisitors, and satisfactorily explain your russophobic comments, do watch out for the SMERSH assassins....

1. handleoclast

Re: Open letter to Zuck

Nah, not their style.

They'd just send him a link to Yulia Skripal's Farcebook page. No explicit threats.

6. Wolfclaw

Knowing the Russians, they could just ban Facebook if he doesn't turn up !

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

It's in the queue - for non-compliance with their data localisation law and for failing to comply with key escrow (same as Telegram).

They voted for legislation which is very similar to GDPR and forbids any data transfer of personal data outside Russia unless that country has a data protection equivalence treaty with them two year ago. LinkedIn already bit that bullet and is banned.

F**book has a compliance notice by end of this year to comply with both data protection (itself) and key escrow (same as Telegram) for its messaging and its subsidiaries. If it is non-compliant by then there will be no Facebook. By the way, based on the fact that the compliance has been shifted to end of year, Facebook is quite clearly trying to both comply and/or negotiate instead of pretending Russia does not exist ala LinkedIn or taking a hard line ala Telegram.

7. Oengus

Global

Even small countries like Papua New Guinea are starting to look closely at facebook. They are looking at a one month ban on the site. Maybe there is room for a new social media site that respects people's privacy desires and complies with the laws in the different countries.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like