You don't know what you're in for MS-Virus

This topic was created by Data source #58479374 .

1. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

You don't know what you're in for MS-Virus

I just detected a virus, Not unusual at all,but for me highly unusual as I can count them on my fingers of one hand. This one was from MS.Technet found by defender after problems with Defender, Firewall.

I had only just downloaded Windows 8.1 CD again and reinstalled Windows last month. Was browsing Technet and saw this:~

"A simple tool to extract and use the Windows activation key from BIOS"

The css the pages has is:~

"TechNet%20Activate%20using%20Windows%20OEM%20Key%20from%20BIOS_files/3dd23b140a2714964995737e6e054ffb-f5cc89cd4feff5895013663418c.css"

I have a habit of saving the Html to my hard disk as a reference, so had the reference in another location

I had just before it being found done a System restore.

Today after a system restore as my system was refusing to run Process monitor and fireall advanced and I scanned With Defender on Win8.1 And found:~

"Trojan:win32/Occamy.B" in the zip file "Technet OEMKEYEXTRACT.ZIP"

"Alert Level:severe"

file dated "6/04/2018:5:15 PM" - that's when I saved it to my PC.

I have a screenshot if someone needs it.

I consider that if Technet is passing out viruses or if they cannot detect hacks on their website then we're all doomed. Also that Microsoft is still acting anti-competitively by denying many the ability to restore their old system pushing them onto Windows 10 with T&C of no Workaround. Doesn't want people to access their Pre-Windows 10 OEM operating system.

I have not deleted the Trojan from quarantine yet, and have it if required.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon