back to article Facebook stuck with IRS bill after court tosses $7 BEEELLION appeal

Facebook has lost its bid to throw out a tax bill on $7bn worth of income it had stashed overseas. A Northern District of California judge ruled in favor of the IRS this week, finding the Social Network did not have standing to challenge the tax bod's finding that Facebook underreported its revenues via its Ireland-based …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fight Fair IRS!

Zuk is connecting the world... So Facebook should get charity status with appropriate Tax exemptions. Also, he gives away his data to anyone who asks... Isn't that pretty philanthropic like? You're just anti-innovation and culturally ignorant of great tasting Dutch sandwiches and Irish single malt!

Seriously, WTF has Zuk got planned for Facebook???

It must be pretty scary to justify having to swallow such wholesale firestorm of criticism right now... With Zuk's love of big-data, AI and sucking-off advertisers... Has he plans to build a Person-Of-Interest-like spying apparatus? A Super-AI that that knows everything about everyone....

If so, what Zuk plans to do with that long-term is anyone's guess. But I'm scared already... However, its going to be harder to add another billion users with Facebook banned in China, unloved in India (free internet rejection), and subject to heavyweight state surveillance in ME etc.

So what next for Zuk? Dating will generate good psychological profiling...

1. Mark 85
      Black Helicopters

Re: Fight Fair IRS!

Last I heard he was considering running for President. Let that sink in while considering the scope and depth of the data on just about everyone even non-Facebook users.

2. EarthDog

"Zuk is surveilling the world"

Fixed that for you, no charge.

3. MonkeyCee

I presumed that FB and Google where funded by (via appropriate deniable channels) the intelligence agencies of the USA.

I mean, these are the people who when faced with congress cutting off their funds for starting revolutions (in the American interest, not just for giggles) promptly started smuggling* cocaine into and guns out of the USA to keep up their supplies for their allies.

So channeling funds to invest in any "private" companies that would happen to provide a massive amount of data on citizens would just be up their alley.

It also explains why Zuck looks like he's just realised he's riding a tiger, and that the most dangerous thing for him is to try and get off.

* legally speaking, they aided and abetted, but didn't actually do any smuggling or dealing

2. EarthDog

six figures is gross

not net. If they are anything like other business take about 10% or less as net.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: six figures is gross

I don't think so. Remember, they have gazillions working for them, spying on others by "liking" them and all the other tools of social engineering that makes up Facebook, so it's not like they have a huge labour cost.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Only two things are certain...

Death and taxes...

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Only three things are certain...

Death and taxes and human stupidity ( which never ceases to amaze me)

4. Buzzword

“the IRS gets to decide what does and doesn't get an appeal hearing”

Rather defeats the purpose of an appeals hearing, if the opposing side gets to decide whether to let you fight.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: “the IRS gets to decide what does and doesn't get an appeal hearing”

"Rather defeats the purpose of an appeals hearing, if the opposing side gets to decide whether to let you fight."

That was the result of a court hearing, not a fight in a playground.

5. Scroticus Canis
    Meh

My heart bleeds custard for FB

Wonder what the penalties the IRS add will come to?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like