back to article And lo, Qualcomm hath declared that a new chip for wearables is coming

Qualcomm is shipping samples of its third-generation wearable chip – the first to be built from the "ground up," it claims. Today's Android smartwatches mostly use the aging Snapdragon Wear 2100 announced over two years ago, built out of good ol' 28nm transistor gates. The power-hungry Qualcomm system-on-chip typically …

1. Chris G

Here; https://www.wareable.com/wearable-tech/wearables-becoming-huge-in-asia-544 is where the main market is.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smart watches and so forth are still at the 70s-LED-watch stage of their existence. Give it 5 years, and mechanical watch wearers like myself (the watch is mechanical, not me) will be a sad anachronism, like those Hoxton twats who ride fixies and have stupidly styled facial hair.

1. Dabooka

Very true, but I think it'll smooth out over time

Even though Tag are in the mix now with their smart offerings (The Connected range), and tempted though I am I have no faith whatsoever that in 3 years it'll still be supported, let alone 5 or 10.

This is what I think will hold people back. Consumer tech is disposable whereas watches (not wearables) aren't so that longevity in ownership isn't there. The manufactures won't want that of course, they rely on the upgrade cycle of course, but I reckon most folk who buy a decent watch will. I certainly do as do my pals who own such things.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like