back to article Where to find dark matter? $34m says go look 2km under Canada

By the 2020s, boffins hope, a hockey-puck-shaped silicon and germanium crystal 2,000 metres below Canada will show a brief, tiny vibration, meaning a dark matter particle has collided with it. Dark matter has a big problem: scientists can detect its effects on the macro scale, but have never successfully detected any of the …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Looking for a set of Dark Matter particles via tiny vibrations....

...and then they detected a Vibranium lode!

2. Aladdin Sane

(-459.6° Fahrenheit, about -273° Celsius).

Why the precision in Fahrenheit, but not Celsius? Those undereducated fools should not be pandered to.

For anybody wondering, it's -273.11°C.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: (-459.6° Fahrenheit, about -273° Celsius).

273.11 is still a bit rough. I prefer to use the full 64bit space.

Come on, we're all grown ups here.

1. Aladdin Sane

Come on, we're all grown ups here.

Chronologically, if nothing else.

2. eldakka

Or in Hiltons (Hn) it's -29.311 Hn

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slac wimp detector

That's what our PE master thought he was in the 1960s. As a result my only real prejudice is against Welsh rugby players who become psychopathic PE teachers. Because I was a very slack wimp.

Fortunately the Head agreed with me and he was asked to find alternative employment, but not until after he had put me off school games for life.

If they'd opened up his skull I'm sure they would have found plenty of very dark matter indeed, (And I'd have offered to operate the trepan.)

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Slac wimp detector

"As a result my only real prejudice is against Welsh rugby players who become psychopathic PE teachers."

I wouldn't be so picky. Just make it PE teachers (psychopathic is a tautomerism).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Slac wimp detector

"I wouldn't be so picky. Just make it PE teachers (psychopathic is a tautomerism)"

I think you must be a chemist.*

Actually it isn't quite a tautology [sic] because in later life I did meet a PE teacher who was a thoroughly nice chap. But he left to go and work for an oil company because so many parents assumed he must be thick, and it got him down.

*Also detectable by their pronunciation of unionised and periodic.

4. Swarthy
    Thumb Up

Again looking for the Article Upvote button

Solely for the addition caption to the header image: "Oi! Vendor-land! Feel free to copy this design for a small-form-factor PC"

'Cause that would be a cool design for a SFF PC. - Almost as cool as the Lian Li Yacht case

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: Lian Li Yacht case

very nice.

While not a ready-made option like the one you presented, I've always been fond of this classic custom case or, if you prefer, this more recent one

5. Alistair
    Flame

Alllright enough already -- Just 'cause we're generally more polite DOES NOT mean that us Canucks are all WIMPS!!!!

(P.S. For a really fun read about weird things in physics that you can read to the younger set, look up "We have No Idea" - what the youngest is reading ATM)

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

You won't find any WIMPs in Canada...

We had a WIMP once; left it outside at -40° and it froze to death.

Found it there, frozen solid and stone dead, when we got back from our picnic.

Now excuse me, I have to go beat-up a polar bear. Hold my beer.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Grow a Brain !!! - Take the challenge.

Dark Matter is Scientific KAKA

If DARK MATTER existed (IT DOES NOT) then it would already have been measured in just about everything we weigh and that Kilo of gold and Meter rod stored in France as basic units of Metrics would both be affected by Dark Matter just like all the gold in Fort Knox and.....

Archimedes would have had an immanently harder problem as all gold would possibly vary for the same size as some might varying contain dark matter and your brain one side disproportionately full of it would cause your head to tilt uncontrollably to one side.

Do a test get some gold from a fine mould and test or milk bottles with milk or a very thin rod of gold versus an ingot of gold -which would weigh more.

Definition {Dark Matter is that real world matter that is unobservant due to being too far away) that's why we don't find it in the street next to the parked car or on the dining room table

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like