back to article Apple somehow plucks iPad sales out from 13-quarter death spiral

Few people remarked on it this week, but Apple has reversed the declining fortunes of the iPad, achieving modest growth for the fourth successive quarter in a market that continues to slide. It's only a small increase, but any increase in the tablet business is unusual, as new IDC figures out today confirmed. For 13 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or maybe...

..the old ones are starting to fail and people are simply replacing them.

Just lie desktop / laptops that of course have been dead for the last 5 years.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Or maybe...

To me, tablets are a niche device. If you use them in their niches you will find them an excellent bang-for-buck otherwise they just plain suck. The question is how big is the actual market including non-users who could really use one.

2. Pomgolian
      Holmes

Exactly. Bought her indoors a new one last Christmas, because the one I'd bought in 2012 was S...O.......S..L..O..W and didn't hold its charge very long. New one's noticeably more plasticy/tacky feeling though.

3. Thomas Wolf

"Apple sold 9.1 million iPads, claiming that half the buyers were new to the device" - so, no, it's not just old ones being replaced.

4. K

"Just lie desktop / laptops that of course have been dead for the last 5 years."

It made me laugh when people predicted the end of the PC... even today reports say the market is declining, maybe consumer purchases, but businesses are purchasing in larger numbers than ever.

1. Mr.Bill

as always it depends on your definition of "the end of" or when something is "dead". I could laugh and say the typewriter hasn't died, since they are still in use. Its more like - the end of its market growth.

1. msknight

The push into corporate and education is potentially behind a lift in the numbers.

The trick is... Windows tablets are being bought after discovering that the iPads don't do things like, connect to devices for control applications very easily, or do the job for collecting signatures and passing documents on because of the walled garden.

5. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

..the old ones are starting to fail

Our old iPad 2 is still going strong. Especially if you define "strong" == "my wife uses it exclusively to download and listen to The Archers podcasts"..

2. Joe Gurman

Sorry for the niggle, but....

iPad sales were up year-over-year in the previous quarter as well, by a massive 100,000 units (13.2 vs. 13.1 million).

3. AndyMulhearn

iPad user here

It’s interesting, well two me anyway. The iPad forums at MacRumours are chock-a-block with people telling other people that iPads aren’t proper computers, while those, like me, that do computer-type stuff on IPads and have a largely redundant MacBook Pro at home just sigh and roll our eyes.

The combination of some much more powerful and better specified hardware in the iPad Pro combined with more powerful user apps that make use of that power and IOS 11 which is moving more desktop like has moved the platform on somewhat and I wouldn’t be surprised if that hasn’t pulled through to the rest of the range. Certainly the 2018 model being pencil compatible now won’t hurt.

OK so with the iPad Pro, keyboard and pencil I dropped as much as I did on my Pro but it’s much faster (yes really) editing photos using LightRoom mobile and the pencil combined with OmniGraffle is really quite pleasant to use. Stuff like that makes a difference. Yes there are some omissions, though none that really pain me at the moment, and the ways of working are different to a desktop/laptop OS so you have to learn new tricks but they’re not workarounds as some call them, just different ways of achieving the same goals.

It works for me so I can see why it could be working for others...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. AndyMulhearn

Re: iPad user here

unfortunate they share the iPad name bit, as it clearly seems to confuse people like you...

Ouch, that stung.

2. Steve Knox

iPads aren't proper computers

Really? Do tell us your definition of a "proper" computer.

While you're at it, perhaps you could explain the difference between a Scotsman and a True Scotsman...

1. Rockets

While you're at it, perhaps you could explain the difference between a Scotsman and a True Scotsman...

A true Scotsman wears nothing under his kilt......

1. HolySchmoley

"While you're at it, perhaps you could explain the difference between a Scotsman and a True Scotsman...

A true Scotsman wears nothing under his kilt......"

What does a true iPad wear under its kilt, I wonder?

2. DiViDeD

Re: ...difference between a Scotsman and a True Scotsman...

A Scotsman is someone who was born in Scotland and still lives there.

A TRUE Scotsman is someone who left Scotland decades ago, has never been back, but who, remarkably, appears to get MORE bloody Scottish the longer he stays away from the place.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>between a Scotsman and a True Scotsman

One smells of haggis, heather and whisky and the other smells of Irn Bru and Special Brew.

And no - I'm not saying which is which..

4. HolySchmoley

'Do tell us your definition of a "proper" computer.'

One that doesn't remove access to the file system that proper computers have provided access to since the 60s?

One that leaves the computer operator in control of what they operate?

Apple progress?

2. Jason Hindle

“OK so with the iPad Pro, keyboard and pencil I dropped as much as I did on my Pro but it’s much faster (yes really) editing photos using LightRoom mobile”

I have a fully mobile workflow based around Lightroom CC and Snapseed (mostly smaller format cameras, but also the rather large raw files from my Sony full frame body). And that’s just on an old iPad Air 2. With most of Lightroom running in the cloud, the oomph of something bigger and badder isn’t as necessary as it once was. That said, I wouldn’t mind something newer and pencil compatible; if I need to make any local adjustments, it’s next stop MacBook Pro (and Lightroom Classic).

3. Korev Silver badge

>OK so with the iPad Pro, keyboard and pencil I dropped as much as I did on my Pro but it’s much faster (yes really) editing photos using LightRoom mobile

If the photos are in Adobe's cloud then I think you just edit the preview, it's noticeably slower to use RAW files that you've loaded onto the iPad.

I agree the Lightroom on a iPad is a good example showing how you can do real work on a tablet though.

4. HolySchmoley

"...those, like me, that do computer-type stuff on IPads and have a largely redundant MacBook Pro at home just sigh and roll our eyes."

I wonder whether you are the sort of user who equates naff all with 'computer-type stuff"...

4. Jason Hindle

I think there are two sides to this

Well, two ends.... At the top end, you've got iPads that are better suited to some (but not all) professionals than ever before. At the bottom end, the bar to entry is currently quite low, and what you get from a base level iPad is nicer than similarly (or higher) priced none iPad competition.

5. Mr.Bill

pretty much a no brainer

The nexus 7 had been dead for a while, a kid took over my chromebook, noticed the 2017 iPad on sale for $279 at best buy over here in the states.

1. This is my handle
      Flame

Re: pretty much a no brainer

Have you actually seen / held the iPad at BestBuy? If I had a nickel from every time Best Buy had a great deal on a fondle slab that didn't exist in the inventory of mine or the 6 US states East of me (wanted one for Mothers' Day, and was willing to pick it up en route) I'd have 5 cents; because after that their ads went straight to the recycle bin. No, they would not give me a raincheck.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Dominion

Meh....

If I want to change the playlist on my Sonos, or turn the heating up then I grab my iPad, if I want to do something more substantial like editing photos or updating my websites then I grab my laptop. Different beasts for different purposes.

1. DiViDeD

Re: Meh....

If I want to change the playlist on a Sonos, I wonder what I'm doing in someone else's house.

For all (and I mean all) serious computing tasks, I use a serious computer (big box, 32Gb RAM, RAID array, water cooled GTX1080, cold cathode lighting, the lot). The only laptops in the house are for shunting media between devices. And my tablet is simply a glorified eBook reader to use while commuting.

I guess that makes me a curmudgeon. At last!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like