back to article IBM Australia to end on-shore software support

IBM’s Technology Support Services operation will “officially” end on-shore software support on June 30th in Australia and New Zealand, The Register has learned. We understand that a handful of staff have moved into other units of IBM in which they will continue to provide on-shore software support. While the number of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Follow the sun?

Guess the sun never sets on the Indian empire.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Follow the sun?

Asia, Eastern Europe, South America, at a guess. I know an account I used to work on had IBM database support coming out of Argentina. They weren't too bad either.

1. Yes Me Silver badge

They may not be "too bad" but it takes us back 40 years in terms of getting problems fixed by people who understand the user's application scenario. Just all part of Big Blue's slow sunset, I guess.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Compared to other offshore locations I had to deal with, "Not too bad" is high praise :)

2. RegGuy1 Silver badge

IBM database support coming out of Argentina

You mean the rest of the world is catching up. The Internet and Globalisation, a force for good. Alas if your skills are being undercut by someone else who is also remote you must retrain.

Just think 10 years from now how much different the world will be. Look especially at India -- 2030. Or Malaysia. Turkey, lots of places. I think we are living through an amazing time.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You have it wrong. The sun shines out of PHB class a**es. As all the multinational outsourcerers have lot of local PHBs, the sun is always local

2. a_yank_lurker

Worldwide support out of India?

I wonder if the PHBs running Itsy Bitsy Morons have figured on the costs of breach of contract, travel, etc. when they cooked up this stupidity. First Oz, next Europe, then the Americas, then bankruptcy.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Worldwide support out of India?

"breach of contract"

That was my thought. Possibly those who signed the contracts for the customer are reluctant to involve their legal department on the basis that if they were to look carefully they might find a brief clause around page 288 that lets IBM do this and legal will send them back with their arse in a sling for signing such a contract.

3. Tim99 Silver badge
    WTF?

WTF?

That is all.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If this is software post-sales support, I don't fully understand.

Even in the UK, many of IBM's software products no longer have an in-country post-sales support operation (there was rumored to be a deal where each platform's technical support was aligned to just one european country. The UK only got x86 and related software packages which were immediately sold to Lenovo).

So for AIX, TSM, GPFS and a lot of other AIX specific products, you will almost certainly end up talking to someone from another country (often outside of Europe, even) for the whole duration of the problem, and trying to get someone on-site for a software problem has been almost unheard of for at least a decade! Any on-site visit for software has been regarded as paid consultancy, not post-sales support.

It was when I was getting TWS/LoadLeveler support from China (who at the time were supposed to be off the list of countries that products could be procured from) for a UK government organization that I started getting really worried.

1. Aitor 1

Re: If this is software post-sales support, I don't fully understand.

And by support you mean confusing replies?

offsite support ussually means "I want to connect to the machine and play with it", at least in my experience, and I understand the reasons behind that, they cannot divine the problems,

Many companies and org have spent good money making sure the servers are not accesible from outside, so quite logically are unhappy with people from china connecting. Or from elsewhere.

5. BebopWeBop

Consider, also, the impact on IBM. The Register has heard that IBM’s antipodean staff, in TSS and other business units, frequently feel they are being asked to take on work for which they do not possess the necessary skills

Their customers can confirm that

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Our company actively avoids IBM

We used to use this company, now we want nothing to do with them in any manner.

When were offered to pay top dollar to install our own spare parts (sent by a courier) on mainframes (the same money that would have had a trained tech come previously), we signed with another vendor and dropped IBM from hardware. IBM = Idiotic Business Managers

7. Chairman of the Bored

I think IBM figured out...

What a man running from a tiger does: one doesn't have to outrun through tiger, you just have to be faster than the other guy.

Instead of shooting for legendary quality, it looks like IBM has realized all it needs to do is suck slightly less than DXC and HPE.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I think IBM figured out...

That does depend on how many tiggers there are.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There is only one Tigger.

2. SecretSonOfHG

Can't imagine how bad HPE and DXC service can be if IBM service is seen as superior

8. Nolveys
    Headmaster

Off-Shore Support

IBM’s Technology Support Services operation will “officially” end on-shore software support on June 30th in Australia and New Zealand, The Register has learned.

This is much less of a problem than it sounds. Both Australia and New Zealand are in excellent positions for chucking IBM's stuff in the ocean.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not all support

It's not all TSS moved out of Oz, it's mainly hardware support roles.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is a pattern being replayed at a global level

As far as 'Technical Support' TSS is dead. TSS will still exist in some guise, but not for software support. The mentioned "The Register understands, however, that IBM is working on “true follow-the-sun support model” but that for now TSS managers consider global inconsistency a “serious problem.”" at the close of the article does not contain the known position by IBM TSS management when going to press. The "“true follow-the-sun support model” is calls going direct to Level2, which means they are going to be absolutely swamped and incapable of providing any valued support. They will find it pretty much impossible to handle all Sev1 calls, getting to 'lower order' calls (S2,3,4) will be 'pot luck'. As for TSS Management seeing the potential issue as a "serious problem", well they are just about fully accountable for the situation customers now find themselves in. They rushed to hack away jobs without clearly seeing the potential implications of their actions. That is despite 'coal face' staff telling them what was likely to happen. It's sad that the workers at the bottom of the pile understand the business way better than the idiots in the 'golden chairs'

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IBM don't even want to have local salesmen

Rumour has it, they are training Watson to up-sell you "fries with that" and pushing customers to go online to buy from IBM.

I really don't know why anyone would buy anything from IBM

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like