back to article Avengers: Infinity War: More Marvel-ous moolah for comic film-erverse, probably

Movie franchises generally follow the law of diminishing returns. Christopher Reeve’s iconic first turn as Superman made $170m more than his second and a positively heroic $500m more than his fourth. Marvel's Avengers:Infinity War still shot Josh Brolin's Thanos reprises his role as villain But Marvel’s carefully …

1. ArrZarr Silver badge
    Holmes

Howard wouldn’t be seen again until the closing moments of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 in 2017.

Incorrect. He was in the stinger for Guardians 1 in 2014.

(Achievement unlocked: Nit-picking Nerd)

1. OGShakes

Re: Howard wouldn’t be seen again until...

I am glad I am not the only one who spotted that! I can only assume the Writer didn't know you don't leave the cinema till the screen goes dark or you will miss some sneaky little in joke or nod to the next movie!

2. Chris G

Must be my age

Every time I see a reference to The Avengers, I have a mental image of a bloke in a bowler hat.

And of course Purdy.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: Must be my age

Likewise.

(I'm old, but just young enough that Purdy is my immediate frame of reference rather than Mrs Peel.)

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

I'm old, but just young enough that Purdy is my immediate frame of reference rather than Mrs Peel.

Old? You're a young whippersnapper! I can remember Mrs Peel in black and white(*).

(*) As opposed to black and white but with "in colour" on the starting titles.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Mrs Peel or Purdy? either will do nicely.

But please not more of this weak Hollywood crap. Please stop this stupidity. The law of Diminsihing Returns (Exponential) is there for everyone to see.

2. Alister

And of course Purdy.

Pah, modern new-fangled rubbish, that was the New Avengers.

What about Cathy Gale (Honor Blackman)?

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

@ Alister Re: Must be my age

What about Cathy Gale (Honor Blackman)?

Didn't she appear between Emma Peel and Purdy? That would make her a Nearly-New Avenger.

1. Chris G

Re: @ Alister Must be my age

Emma Peel (Diana Rigg) took over from Cathy Gale.

I met Diana Rigg fleetingly when I worked for a daily paper in the early '70s, 6ft tall, gorgeous and a good actress.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: @ Alister Must be my age

Then there was Dara O Briain :-)

3. iron Silver badge

I'd take John Steed and his companions over this boring Holywood nonsense any day.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Every time I see a reference to The Avengers, I have a mental image of a bloke in a bowler hat.

And of course Purdy."

Just had this conversation with my teenage son who said he was off to see the "new avengers film"!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No mention of Deadpool? (2nd highest-grossing R-rated movie in box office history) Has to be one of the funniest films I've seen and if the second lives up to the trailers that's going to be good too.

1. Chris G

"No mention of Deadpool?"

I loved Deadpool the characterisation and humour were fantastic, looking forward to the sequel.

I have always thought that a lot of Harry Harrisons books would make good sci-fi/ fantasy films, the Death World/Stainless Steel Rat series would translate well to the big screen.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Spot Analysis

I preferred her in Sapphire & Steel - Just personal preference.

2. tfewster
      Facepalm

Deadpool & other "firsts"

The first titles in each "line" have been good, if a little tedious in having to re-tell the backstory. The first sequels have been weak, relying on the goodwill generated. Subsequent sequels leave me wishing for the 2 hours of my life back. Pathetic plots* and dialogue. DC movies are as bad as Marvel in those respects.

Dodgy gadget-obsessed character with a dubious background and questionable mental health mistrusts squeaky-clean morally superior character and tries to take goody-goody down. But was I talking about Fatman vs. Stuporman or Captain America: Uncharacteristic Choices War?

3. Kane
      Happy

Deadpool...

"Breaking a fourth wall while in a fourth wall? That's... sixteen walls!"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Daily Mash has the best "review"

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/features/the-mash-guide-to-who-the-fks-who-in-the-latest-avengers-thing-20180425148024

5. adrianww

Thor?

At the risk of seeming like just another nit-picking nerd, are you sure that's Thor standing with Black Widow in that picture? And, if so, does Captain America know that the Norse geezer has nicked his outfit?

1. SkippyBing

Re: Thor?

Did you just assume his super heroness? He self identifies as a Norse God.

6. Paul Westerman
    Stop

Miserable old git

Is it just me then who's totally fed up with these endless bloody comic-book films? Pack it in. May I recommend Captain Fantastic instead, which sounds like a super hero film but isn't.

1. }{amis}{
      Meh

Re: Miserable old git

Sorry dude the "Cinematic Universe" is the new target to shoot for in Hollywood.

Its made far too much money that the idea wont be chased for the foreseeable future.

2. Aladdin Sane

Not just you, but you are definitely in a minority.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. A. Coatsworth Silver badge

Yeah, Cinematic Universes will keep coming for the foreseeable future, and train wrecks like Universal's cringe-worthy "Dark Universe" or DC's limping DCU won't deter new copycats from trying to get part of the party.

As for Marvel's MCU itself, I won't mind if the movies keep coming: for the most part they have found that sweet spot where they are damn entertaining while respecting the viewers. They don't try to be super brainy affairs (although they sneak a bit of social commentary here and there, like in Winter Soldier or Black Panther), and won't offend your intelligence a la Transformers either.

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Is it just me then who's totally fed up with these endless bloody comic-book films? Pack it in.

Nope, it's not just you. However, there's plenty of people still enjoying them. Hence the huge wads of cash from the box office. Which is the viewing public telling Marvel to make more of this.

My question to you though is, why do you care? If the films aren't for you, don't watch them. Nobody is forcing you to. So why not let other people enjoy their popcorn movies in peace (well OK bloody loud surround sound), while you get on with your day.

Mark Kermode said a clever thing about one of the later Transformers or Pirates of the Carribean films. He said something like: It took a lot of money, but that doesn't mean it's good. That just means a lot of people paid to see it. That doesn't tell you if they enjoyed it.

The films that make huge oodles of cash, like Titanic, Gone With the Wind and some of the Marvel and Christopher Nolan stuff, all do it through repeat viewing. It's the people who went three or four times to cry at Titanic (spoiler - it sinks but takes a bloody long time about it), that really made it so stonkingly lucrative.

The fact that Marvel's box office keeps going up tells you that they're not dropping the quality. Or at least that if they are, they've found a market who like it.

I wasn't a particular fan of Iron Man (too annoying and smug for my tastes), but I've really liked every other one of the films I've seen. Even the one I was dragged to thinking it would be rubbish, Guardians of the Galaxy. Which was stupid, but with a great soundtrack, and plenty of laughs.

But if you don't like, there are plenty of alternatives out there. Cinema has even belatedly recognised the old git pound recently. So I've seen 3 films with Mum in the last 6 months, all based in WWII. Their Finest (brilliant - I was expecting a weak romcom so thanks Mum), Nolan's Dunkirk (he truly is a great director) and Darkest Hour (which I hated for the liberties it took, though Oldman was good in it).

1. nkuk

"My question to you though is, why do you care? If the films aren't for you, don't watch them."

I care because virtually all the Hollywood money is being pumped into formulaic comic-book pap, cheap horror movies and animated kids films. Theres precious little films of any substance to watch any more, and almost nothing coming out on Blu-Ray worth watching. I used to have a cinema card and used to find something to watch weekly. Now I go to the cinema probably twice a year. At least its saving me a load money.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

nkuk,

I just don't buy that as a reason. There have been loads of interesting and different films in the last few years. This is the most diverse, interesting and "brave" that Hollywood has been in decades. We're getting musicals again, a silent film has won an oscar, kids films are far better than they were when I was a kid (my Mum had to put up with some shite in the late 70s / early 80s).

There's a bunch of Star Wars films been made in the last few years that don't suck - unlike the ones from 15 years ago, but then Cristopher Nolan has been able to make a diverse range of interestingly different blockbusters.

Tomorrow (this being a non-special non holiday period) in my local home counties market town multiplex I can watch the Avengers film of course. On many screens. Or Rampage, a comedy/action The Rock and his pet gorilla film, which is apparently not bad. A comedy drama about the Nazi occupation of Guernsey. The Quiet Place, which is apparently a very good sci-fi horror about aliens that are listening to you. Ready Player One that was apparently pretty enteratining, also with The Rock. Peter Rabbit that got awful reviews, but everyone I know who's taken their kids to see it says was great. Every Day which is a weird sci-fi body swap teen thing. The Leisure Seeker which is about dementia and Helen Mirren's slightly ropey southern draw. Truth or Dare, a rubbishy looking teen horror. Love Simon, amazingly a teen romcom about a boy who happens to be gay. And the Greatest Showman, a musical about PT Barnum.

That's a pretty diverse list (some of it even brave) and if you can't find anything to interest you in there then you're not a proper cinema fan.

I'm not sure if I'd call this a golden age of cinema, but it's healthier and far more diverse than I can remember it.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Personally, I'd like to see a real 'Starship Troopers', fairly consistent with the book.

1. NBCanuck

"Personally, I'd like to see a real 'Starship Troopers', fairly consistent with the book."

Agreed! I'd especially like to see the Trooper do a proper drop as described in the book. Now that's an entrance!

1. Robert Helpmann??
          Childcatcher

Yes! I want to see a scene with the talking bomb come to (very brief) life on-screen.

1. Mooseman Silver badge

"talking bomb come to (very brief) life on-screen."

A la Dark Star?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

These are just videogames...

... someone else is playing for you. Since there are people who actually like to watch other people playing videogames, I understand the success...

Just I prefer to play myself.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: These are just videogames...

Just I prefer to play with myself.

FTFY

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does this not terrify anyone?

... superhero movies, sequels, prequels, reboots, remakes... A reboot in 20 years? How long can we keep scraping the bottom of the barrel?

1. Dr. G. Freeman

Re: Does this not terrify anyone?

Points up ^

there's the bottom of the barrel.

I enjoy the Marvel movies, two plus hours of not having to think about how bad the outside word is, and if Iron Man is present ,how to make a suit like that.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Does this not terrify anyone?

No not at all why would you say that?

9. Daggerchild Silver badge
    FAIL

The importance of contrast in cinematography

Would we appreciate the Marvel movies as much if the Hollywood clones, using the same material, didn't suck.. so... *so*.. very, very badly?

A moment please, for Spiderman III, Fantastic Four, and whatever X-Men devolved into...

10. Zwuramunga

Million?

"who successfully milked the X-Men universe $2.6m with ten films over 18 years."

Think you mean $2.6 BILLION there.

11. fpx
    Flame

I'm tired of Superheroes

Despite all their powers and abilities, in the end, it all comes down to a fistfight. Because, inexplicably, you can't scratch a superhero with explosives, death rays, or by smashing them into buildings at supersonic speed, but only with a bare-knuckle fist, sometimes by the token human among them.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who?

A beard? Wait... is that Captain America, or is it Wolverine?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon