back to article In a touching Monty Python tribute today, Microsoft's Office 365 makes everything spam

A gremlin within the spam filters in Microsoft's Office 365 today caused the cloud-based service to toss all incoming emails into the junk folder. On Wednesday afternoon, US West Coast time, IT administrators and users publicly complained of similar issues: their Office 365 email systems were marking legitimate messages as …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"it must have been tossed to the spam folder by accident"

Damnit! I thought I was the only one who used that excuse!

Damnit!

2. Haku

Just spam? No egg, sausage or beans?

Context: https://youtu.be/AAyfLCBzyME?t=703

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just spam? No egg, sausage or beans?

If we no one has contributed this yet: Spam Spam Spam Spam, Spamidy Spam.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8huXkSaL7o

3. FozzyBear
    Happy

Are we suggesting Office 365 is THE dead parrot

1. Shadow Systems

At FozzyBear, re: Is O365 the dead parrot?

No. One is a filthy, scruffy, flea festering pile of foul smelling fecal matter, the other is a dead bird that looks good with its feet nailed to a perch.

=-)p

1. J. Cook Silver badge

Re: At FozzyBear, re: Is O365 the dead parrot?

And annoyingly enough, I'm seeing more and more phishing emails being sent from O365 customers- Apparently, O doesn't have even basic anti-malware or A/V scanning done on the outbound side...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nobody expects the spamish inquisition.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Microsoft, end your pain

Sell yourself to Oracle. It's a win-win deal.

Oracle will finaly get some kind of Cloud and you won't be in the Clusterfuck Of The Day headlines anymore.

Plus, Oracle customers are used to stuff not working and bugs never being fixed.

5. CentralCoasty
    Angel

Plan B?

Well, if everythings spam, then its time to put your jacket on and go out and become a lumberjack.....

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Plan B?

He's a lumberjack and he's OK

He sleeps all night and he works all day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZa26_esLBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Npi6PccBk

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...

I don't like spam!

1. Geoffrey W

Re: But...

Really? I love the stuff! Fried or au naturel from the can. Especially the bacon tainted spam. I let my freak flag fly free...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: But...

Lips and anus

(I'll just leave that there...)

7. Notwork

I set myself up a gmail account specifically for work, all my internal company mail goes to O365, all external to gmail.

1. Afernie
      Facepalm

Nice one!

"I set myself up a gmail account specifically for work, all my internal company mail goes to O365, all external to gmail."

I'm sure it shouldn't need saying, but this is typically a gigantic no-no. If the company has a proper security policy and AUP you are violating them both. If they don't, they should and you would be violating them both.

Depending on your correspondence/job you might also be violating privacy/data protection laws in a manner that leaves you and your employer liable.

1. Notwork

Re: Nice one!

There's the irony, it was the "apply security patches" bit of our security policy that resulted in having to break the "don't use personal email for work" bit of our security policy. We were missing critical security alerts from vendors because they got "lost" by O365, it seems to have a real thing against certain Cloud and DevOps tools providers. It's well worth ensuring you have a secondary email address for such things simply to get a handle on the stuff that's not getting through to your work account.

8. Alien8n

TITSUP

Would be good if this was the only email issue today, but it looks like all the whole email system has melted. Unable to send or receive any emails and accounts that are still active are being flagged as not existing when trying to send to them with some emails generating bounce backs as undeliverable.

(edit - test email from our service supplier finally arrived after over 15 minutes. So could be a repeat of the issues we had the other week)

1. Alien8n

Re: TITSUP

All back up after about an hour of issues. Another fun day at work then...

9. Mike Street

This is News?

I have Office 365. From our systems I get an automated email every morning with system statistics from the day before. I have been receiving this email for years.

Every so often, Exchange 365 decides it's 'Clutter', and puts it in that folder. Every day, I tell it that it isn't clutter, and have it moved back to my Inbox.

After a couple of weeks of Exchange refusing to learn this simple fact, the email disappeared from 'Clutter' and from Inbox. I eventually found it in 'Junk Email'. I have now reported it several times as 'Not Junk' but it still puts the email in the Junk folder.

Needless to say, the email comes from the same domain as it is delivered to.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is News?

A simple transport rule to set the SCL to -1 will fix that :)

1. J. Cook Silver badge

See, that's the point- One *shouldn't* have to whitelist the same domain that the system is authoritative for.

And don't even get me started on Outlook's Junk mail filters, which stubbornly Do Whatever The F&@k They Want, even after setting up stuff on Exchange (which it's supposed to honor) AND setting a group policy to manually whitelist a set of domains (which it's also supposed to honor).

I've been fighting that with Exchange On-prem here at [RedactedCo] with some of the automated reports that come from the machine next to it.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks for the heads up. I don't automatically monitor the junk folder on my IMAP Demon account.

Two emails from 23 and 24 April in there. One the Flickr notification of being acquired by SmugMug. The other a copy of my posting to a Yahoo Group.

1. Lyndon Hills 1

So both emails correctly located in 'junk', then?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, I understand there are some technical things going on here, but where do you get a value twin pack of Spam?

Never seen such a thing of beauty.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

what a monty pith' on that is

Lets face it most of it is Junk anyway, just silly walk to the bin and get it back if you need it that much.

13. what-where-when

And this is why you never allow automatic updates on anything! But, of course, you have no such control over O365 et al.Not that you can tell that to the bean counters who are actually making these decisions. Or the IT departments who think that because it's trendy to do "cloud" then everything should be cloud.

obligatory python reference: This isn't an argument, it's just a contradiction.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like