back to article Here's another headline where NASA is dragged through the mud for cheap Mars wise cracks

Water that once flowed across the surface of Mars caused the formation of mud cracks that were spotted by NASA's Curiosity rover, scientists have confirmed. The fractures were discovered in 2017 while the nuclear-powered robot was busy snapping away pictures of the Gale Crater – an area believed to be a 3.5-billion-year-old …

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

Boom, boom.

But beware the Mud Men.

Mud men will not be mocked, or have their comment watered down.

2. Terje

I just wonder how mud on supposedly exposed rock has managed to survive 3.5 billion years of wind erosion? Does the article mention anything about that kind of thing?

1. ArrZarr Silver badge
      Boffin

Well, the atmosphere on Mars is very thin and there are no oceans, making wind strong enough to do any erosion not exist.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Well to be more precise *barely* exist. There is SOME wind erosion, but it is slow. If the slab is tilted away from the prevailing breeze it is probably already protected enough to not be a problem.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Fair enough. I was thinking for practical purposes but upon reflection, 3.5Bn years is a long time for a technicality to take over.

2. Cuddles

"I just wonder how mud on supposedly exposed rock has managed to survive 3.5 billion years of wind erosion? Does the article mention anything about that kind of thing?"

It's not mud any more, but rather mudstone; essentially sandstone but with smaller particles. The idea is basically that it used to be mud at the bottom of a lake, but formed a sedimentary rock through the same processes that occur on Earth. So don't think of it as mud surviving billions of years of exposure, but rather a rock that we can look at and figure out what it used to be a few billion years ago.

3. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

"I just wonder how mud on supposedly exposed rock has managed to survive 3.5 billion years of wind erosion?".

Perhaps it become visible only a million years ago due to the wind erosion.

1. Grikath

erosion...

It's a Thing on Mars. The atmosphere may be thin, but there's serious sandstorms in season, and settling sand and dust did get the old Rovers into a spot of bother. Until the wind helped out..

But the simple answer of how this bit of rock has survived so long is plain to see in the original picture: sand. If there's sand piled up on top of it, erosion doesn't happen.. And you can see in the original that the neighbour to the left is a *lot* worse for wear.

It looks like this patch has been blown clean "recently" so that any erosion is minimal. There's even chance that when you'd go look for it now, you can't find it because it'll have been covered up with sand again.

3. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
    Coat

cheap mars wise crack #2

"Get your ass to mars!"

4. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

When they have finished there....

...there's an old puddle at the bottom of my garden that they could have a look at....

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Joke

Re: When they have finished there....

Maybe you should upgrade to indoor plumbing?

5. Richard Gray 1
    Coat

At least...

it's not mud cracks on Uranus

(Someone had to do it....)

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: At least...

Wind erosion there WOULD definitely be a problem!

6. jalmos

Hey, man. You hear NASA just figured out something about our neighboring planet that's been not only unknown but impossible to have been known since before homo sapiens branched off from the evolutionary tree of apes?

Cool. What was it?

I don't fully understand, not being a scientist, but the gist is that ancient water in a river on the barren planet of Mars once flowed across an area that now shows similar properties to dry riverbeds on Earth, where the mud crac....

Wait, did you say mud?

Uhh...yes.

Stop right there. I've got my headline. No more information necessary.

But, dude, we work for a major publication. Shouldn't we know a little more before writing the headline? Especially since that's all most people read?

Nah, screw the readers. They won't get it as is, and we fired the science editor a few weeks ago.

You are a disgrace to journalism.

Yeah, but my click commission is buying margaritas tonight.

Okay. Fuck science. Write it up so we can get out of here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And you, sir, are an ignoramus, unlike the author who has a good degree in astrophysics.

1. Not also known as SC
        Angel

Is that why we have a relatively large number of articles (for a nominally IT specific publication) about planets, stars, black holes etc? Not complaining - it is the wide range of interesting articles, the witty writing style and intelligent commentards (YMMV) which brings me back to the Register.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Is that why we have a relatively large number of articles (for a nominally IT specific publication) about planets, stars, black holes etc?

The IT field has a lot of sci-fi geeks, myself included. And including people like the inventor of the mobile phone, etc.

http://www.destination-innovation.com/how-startrek-inspired-an-innovation-your-cell-phone/

The final frontier is of as much interest to us as celeb gossip apparently is to "normal" users.

2. Alistair

@Not also known:

Personally, I've been in IT for over 30 years, I have part of an engineering degree, part of a physics degree and I'm currently trying out international law. I play with fractals for fun, read *everything* and like scuba diving, I'm a pretty decent cook. It really isn't like we're all *just* computer techies. And in general, the people who are usually *good* at something, generally have other interests outside of their field.

Oddly, I've had several folks along the way assume the only thing I knew was computers. Until they got to try my cooking.

1. Not also known as SC
            Pint

Hi @Alistair and @Peter2

I think my comment may have been slightly badly worded. The Register's tag line is "Biting the hand that feeds IT" so it is easy to imagine that this site's purpose is as an IT news source and would generally attract IT types. Luckily the site carries more articles than just IT and is the better for doing so. The wide range of knowledge from writers / commentards ranging from obsolete communication protocols through to fighter jet command software makes this a truely fascinating site to visit. Icon for any distress my comment may have caused :-)

Back to my original post, what I was meant to be asking was if the presence of an astrophysicist on the writing team was a reason for the large number of space related articles?

1. Mark 85

Let's face it, science is applied tech and tech is being driven by science (at least the research areas) so the articles fit right in. As for space... all of the exploration either from earth or actually in space is heavy tech. A good fit for El Reg, IMO.

2. Paul Kinsler

Write it up so we can get out of here.

Follow the publication link in the Register article and you can download the scientific article itself.

3. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Jalmos , its taken me some time to work out what the hell you're talking about , but after re-reading the article , and being none the wiser , then reading your post (again ) , then going back to the article and reading the headline , I gather you are insinuating a kind of click-bait false headline type scenario.

Then theres some further ranting about content - im not sure if you're pleased there is an actual science article behind the headline or not.

I further deduce from all this:

You! Have! No! Idea! About! El! Reg! Article! Headline! Convention!

1. Alistair
        Windows

@Prst V Jeltz:

You've!!! Tilted!!! Those!!! The!!! Wrong!!! Way!!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fossils

If there ever was life there, that sounds like a good place for a future lander to dig around looking for evidence of microscopic (or theoretically not so micro) life.

8. Javc
    Coat

Look at the footprints

Am I the only one that sees a trail of footprints in the mud?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like