back to article Facebook job ad hints at homebrew silicon plans

Facebook’s hinted it will join the ranks of hyperscalers that roll their own silicon, with a job ad for an “ASIC & FPGA Design Engineer”. The ad says The Social Network™ wants “a silicon design engineer …. with expertise in architecting and designing semi-custom and fully custom ASICs. The role involves evaluating, developing …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds familiar

Reminds me of the last couple of years of the pre-dot-bomb boom. I was working in a SP and when my mom asked me whom do I work for I answered: "The Mob".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do you have to learn Russian for the job? I can't check the specs because Facebook is consigned to the eighth circle of hell.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If all other options come up drier-than-dry, ask them if they need a translator, at least for a 'tweener

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I remember years ago someone describing a conversation they'd had with a recruiter. They'd been contacted about a new venture with very sketchy details but a stunningly huge salary so they'd started thinking that it sounded worthwhile even if they quit after a year .... until the recruiter added the fatal extra "and you'll be working with Sir Clive Sinclair"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hehe

Can be more fun.

R: Are you open to new opportunities?

Me: Yeah, why not, provided that they are not something criminal or illegal.

Q: It is with a company about which there is lots of bad publicity, but they are really not doing anything illegal.

Me: OK, whats their name

R: I just wanted to emphasize that what they are doing is not illegal...

Me, R, Me, R, Me, R - 10 several times

Me: What's their name or I am putting the phone down.

R: Their name is Phorm.

Crickets...

Phone down

4. MiguelC Silver badge

"However The Register often hears tails"

I bet you hear them 'cause they're wagging vigorously at the salaries being offered!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Always good to hear...

... of tech companies starting up their own in-house/COT design teams.

6. knarf

What this is....

home hub ... no.. low power discounts this.

Phone/tablet.. maybe

Spy devices...... ticks all the boxes.

Mr Zuck Control system..... maybe.. Needs to be more human, more Mr Data than Mr Data

7. JohnFen

Nope and nope

Since I already view people who work for Facebook as having a dubious ethics, I certainly wouldn't want to join them in any capacity. Not only would I have trouble living with myself if I did, but I don't need to give others reason to doubt my ethics.

8. Tom 7

To be fair

unless you own your own company the chances of it being bought out by some ethically defective fuckwit is around 95% anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like