back to article Huawei promises to launch a 5G smartmobe in second half of 2019

Huawei has said its first 5G-capable phone will appear in a little over a year. The Chinese giant made the pledge at its annual global analyst summit in Shenzhen, southeastern China. The device will feature Huawei's own 5G modem and appear in "the second half of 2019". Big news: First @Huawei 5G smartphone with its own 5G …

1. James 51
    FAIL

I had a whole rant typed up but I'll shorten it to what a steaming pile of raw fertiliser. I hope this new handset has a removeable battery to support the extra power needed. Oh and a 5G network with nationwide coverage to use it on.

2. Christian Berger

From what I've heard, the main innovation of "5G" will be...

... that it's essentially the same as LTE, but with every network internal message being now sent in a different format over web based protocolls.

Source, the Q&A session of this:

https://media.ccc.de/v/ARMP3D

3. handleoclast
    WTF?

"Retina experience" radio??????

"Retina experience" radio would be able to support a video 16K resolution at 120 frames per second

That's a gigantic improvement on all the radios I've ever seen. None of them supported video at any resolution or speed. Well done Huawei. Very impressive.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

16Kp120

That's at least a couple hundred Mbps if they really want quality worthy of 16K. Sure, you'll be able to do that with 5G, but it still smells of a solution looking for a problem. WHY are people going to want cellular connected VR goggles when wifi connected VR goggles will serve 99% of the cases when people might want VR goggles at all?

At least I sure hope people don't start wearing goggles while walking down the street, though if Uber's self driving cars are about they can solve two problems at once!

1. cambsukguy

Re: 16Kp120

Perhaps they watched Ready Player One?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like