back to article US army boffins use AI to spot faces in the dark

US army researchers have developed a convolutional neural network and a range of algorithms to recognise faces in the dark. "This technology enables matching between thermal face images and existing biometric face databases or watch lists that only contain visible face imagery,” explained Benjamin Riggan on Monday, co-author …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"US army boffins use AI to spot faces in the dark"

Maybe the AI Boffins at Uber will use such technology to extrapolate from spotting faces in the dark to spotting entire pedestrians in the not_very_dark.

Then maybe the AI boffins at Tesla can use this tech to spot road barriers and trucks.

1. wsm

Re: "US army boffins use AI to spot faces in the dark"

People with bicycles crossing the street on foot? Not included in specs...

2. James 51

Read this then thought about that line at the end of robocop were the executive says they had the contracts lined up for ED-209, who cares if it worked or not. Expect this in the next generation of airport cameras you're asked to look into.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Terrorists crawling around in the dark

Have no chance now!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

US army boffins use AI to spot feces in the dark

I misread the title... was hoping for some useful technology which would help me avoid doggie deposits on dark streets....

5. Pat Harkin
    Coat

What went wrong, private?

Gee, sarge, turns out the terrorists had that new thermal recognition software and spotted me right away. Boy, was my face red!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like