back to article Six months on, and let's check in on those 'stuttering' Windows 10 PCs. Yep, still stuttering

A long-running glitch affecting some Windows 10 PCs continues to annoy gamers more than half a year after it was supposedly fixed. An anonymous Reg reader alerts us to this ongoing thread on Nvidia's support forums. Our tipster says they and others who have installed the latest versions of Windows and Nvidia drivers continue …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows Fail Update 2.0.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Windows Sprung Creators Update.

(as in, broken spring)

"Windows 10's watch-ing..."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Windows is so busy collecting telemetry now, it sometimes forgot to let applications run.... nVIdia added its telemetry services as well, and I'm sure games developers are not far behind.

The only solutions well be to add a CPU dedicated to telemetry only, or a TPU - Telemetry Processing Unit. It will be the most powerful and expensive components in your rig, believe me.

1. joed

You may be onto something. Even with "normal" settings set to limit Cortana, when the network glitched out (net security), an attempt to look up anything brought the whole system to crawl until explorer restarted itself. I'm not surprised with any sort of issues affecting this nosy system that's trying to be as helpful as it is creepy.

2. Sgt_Oddball
    Trollface

that's what you get...

when you yeti to use your graphics card for something more sensible. Like Bitcoin mining....

3. tin 2

Windows is not - and never has been - a gaming platform. The OS is not capable of taking control back from something that wants to halt the system even though apparently it's been re-written from the ground up several times. Unfortunately over the years the majority of people seem to have forgotten this and done it anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: Windows is not - and never has been - a gaming platform.

Well... technically the Xbox OS is a Windows platform.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Windows is not - and never has been - a gaming platform"

Windows is historically the largest gaming platform that has ever been.

It still is, actually, in hours played and amount of hardware.

Mobile phones are catching up, but you cannot compare a 5-minute session of Angry Birds to an hour-long multiplayer Call of Duty marathon (with teabagging).

1. tin 2

Re: "Windows is not - and never has been - a gaming platform"

My point is it's no fucking good at it. Not that its what a hell of a lot of people use.

3. tin 2

I lol at the number of downvotes for this.

4. yoganmahew

There's you problem right there...

"even when running the latest versions of Windows 10 and up-to-date graphics drivers."

My Nvidia card doesn't work at all since a driver some years ago. Windows update keeps trying to foist the latest driver on me. I finally figured out how to block the update (by blocking all updates to third party devices), but the notification that it can't be updated pops up every day sometimes multiple times. So I had to install some fixit thingy to get rid of that notification. Now I have to run the fixit after every bleedin' edge major update.

Most hardware companies lose interest in older versions of their kit pretty quickly, so pushing up to date drivers on them is a) foolish b) incompetent c) designed to break your computer so you have to buy new hardware.

1. Baldrickk

Re: There's you problem right there...

What card are you running? Nvidia actually have impressive legacy support for their GPUs

1. yoganmahew

@Baldrickk

GEForce GT 540M - they (NVidia) say it is supported still, but the last version that works is 385.69.

Most of the rest after that don't crash, but they don't actually work, so you end up with jerky video, broken games and they're a complete bugger to uninstall; the rollback doesn't appear to work, so you have to zap the driver and reinstall it. Luckily some frustrated chap has written a tool Driver Uninstaller - DDU wagnardsoft.com (no connection).

2. Jakester

re: What card are you running? Nvidia actually have impressive legacy support for their GPUs

Except for the nVidia's I have...

5. izntmac

Spring Ahead into the Abyss

Windows 10 will force people to upgrade their hardware sooner because of dropped support. This is much easier for Microsoft with major releases every 6 months or so. With Windows 7 and below you could keep your ancient hardware going for a decade with updates. Not so much with Windows 10. Also it adds so many features people don't want or need.

6. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Downgrade Upgrade to Windows7 then?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have 1 Windows PC and it runs Windows 7. I use it for games and very little else. I see no reason to pay money to make it run more slowly or have a confusing UI.

7. deconstructionist

You can fix it you need to do the following:

Remove the Xbox app through admin power shell

disable the supafetch service

But it is the same every update hours of tweaking and hunting in process explorer just to find out what bricking the rig.

I've had enough so I've have Permanently bricked WU so I do need to worry about 10 s

1. J. Cook Silver badge

@ deconstructionist

Alternatively, google for "windows 10 decrapifier script", and it'll fix 90% of that stuff automagically.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

logging what happens on your computer while gaming

do you have the capabilities of logging the per-task CPU utilization on your computer?

It might be worth doing that, in order to see whether or not there are processes launching and/or being activated [let's say snooping, check for updates, etc.] while you're gaming, and for whatever reason it interferes with the game.

I have a similar concern with multimedia production. Last thing I need is to be running something like 'Cakewalk' while doing a live track recording, and have windows update make a "stutte" happen because it *FEELS* it needs to run right now... [I used to disable windows update on XP systems to prevent this from happening, and it WORKS]

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1. Buy a Mac

2. Install Steam

3. ?????

4. Profit

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Funnily enough, the problem is worse on Macs with nVidia, where some jolly clever chap has developed a script that enables users that use OS updates D47 and D102 to roll back their nVidia drivers to 106, although 146 and 147 have been available for a while.

Obviously, this is only applicable to 'certain' types of iMacs and iMacPros.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've got one of the last MacBook pros with a descret graphics card and I can vouch for this.

Anon because it's also a works machine

2. David Webb

Is #3 "have a lot less games to buy" resulting in #4 because you're not spending as much money?

3. Dramz0r

1. Buy a Mac

2. Install Steam

3. Realise that 99% of your games don't support Macs

4. Boot your windows machine

5. Cry in the corner because you made a deal with the Devil

9. phuzz Silver badge

It's a strange new world we live in where AMD drivers are more stable than nVidia.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Is it?

Taking a screen shot every few frames? I wonder.... ;)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft’s business models require stealing and reselling personal data.

....."When we talk about why we're upgrading the Windows 10 install base, why is that upgrade free? MS CFO asked during a meeting with Wall Street analysts. These are all new monetization opportunities once a PC is sold. Microsoft's strategy is to go low on consumer Windows licenses, hoping that that will boost device sales, which will in turn add to the pool of potential customers for 'Advertising'".....

....."CEO Nadella has referred to the customer revenue potential as 'lifetime value' in the past -- and did so again last week during the same meeting with Wall Street -- hinting at Microsoft's strategy to make more on the back end of the PC acquisition process. The more customers, the more money those customers will bring in as they view 'Ads'".....

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2917799/microsoft-windows/microsoft-fleshes-out-windows-as-a-service-revenue-strategy.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft’s business models require stealing and reselling personal data.

Do you have a macro or bot to re-post this on every Windows 10 thread?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No need for Win10 for gaming

I use SteamOS (I think every game I've bought for the last 2 years are available on Linux/SteamOS) or an old Win7 setup for what is not on Linux.

Job done. No auto-patch, no web browsing, no emails, no stuttering, only happy gaming.

1. Updraft102

Re: No need for Win10 for gaming

I use SteamOS (I think every game I've bought for the last 2 years are available on Linux/SteamOS) or an old Win7 setup for what is not on Linux.

I'm not much of a gamer, but I do like to play from time to time. I've been using Windows since 3.0, but Windows 10 is the bridge too far, and I'm migrating to Linux (really, I have migrated, but I say "migrating" because I still keep Windows around (on bare metal as a dual boot) in a dual boot in case I need it.

Because I am not much of a gamer, I don't need to play any given game at any given time. I'm not dying to play any of the latest AAA releases; chances are, I would not even recognize those titles if I heard them. I just browse the games that are available (and on sale, generally) and buy them if they seem interesting. Thing is, if they don't have the little symbol indicating that they run on Linux, I don't even look at them. When you don't know what you're looking for, and you're just going to pick one of the ones that is offered, it doesn't matter if a lot of stuff isn't on Linux. To me, at least.

I've always resisted Steam as I am opposed to DRM platforms in general, but on the other hand, they singlehandedly have made Linux into a credible gaming platform, even if the "best" games are still Windows exclusive for the moment. That's the one thing that got me to end my Steam prohibition and try it... and only on Linux. It's not installed in any of my Windows setups. I want game devs to know that the effort to port their titles to Linux is worthwhile, 'cause if they don't, their game isn't worthwhile to me, or to a growing number of others. Windows 10 is that bad!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dropped.

The Windows 8 debacle, and loss of control over software in 10 meant I, like many, many others didn't bother upgrading from 7.

We were promised Windows 10 would be the last Windows ever, and with MS growing closer to Canonical (and others) by the day; it would not at all surprise me to see a buy out on the cards as 10 starts enters it's extended support phase.

I've already made the jump. I never purchase don't get bought. Windows only games that I still want, the devs get a nice mail asking for a port please. If enough follow suit the devs will soon follow the money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

"We were promised Windows 10 would be the last Windows ever"

Microsoft should be careful about its wishes, because "the last Windows ever" can have two very different meanings...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "We were promised Windows 10 would be the last Windows ever"

>Microsoft should be careful about its wishes, because "the last Windows ever"

Yep - in all seriousness - 10 years hence we'll mostly be using Google or Amazon's offerings. Even with both feet firmly stuck in the past, MS can't get it's shit together.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "We were promised Windows 10 would be the last Windows ever"

It will be.

Because now there is actual pressure to move to Linux.

And Microsoft is doing practically everything it can to increase that pressure.

14. Laughing Gravy

No problems here

Linux and Steam. Sorted.

15. Flakk
    Meh

Two weeks ago at GDC, didn't Microsoft state "We're growing our gaming business beyond the console"? Good idea, but maybe they should fix this before they work on flogging "Minecraft" and "Sea of Thieves" onto other platforms.

16. georgezilla Silver badge

So Windows 10 is ....

in this instance/for this purpose, crap?

No shit?

And Microsoft still hasn't fixed it?

No shit?

And you are surprised?

Dumb shit!

Oh well, you get what you pay for. That's why I still have Windows 7 on my .......

Oh wait. I haven't turned the one Windows PC that I have in about a year. So never mind.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just use Linux

Problem solved! There won't be stuttering. Or Nvidia drivers. Or 3D graphics. Or games

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Coat

So what you're saying is that you never managed to get X Windows working ?

Also, you've never installed Linux in the last 15 years or so, because it's been at least that long that X Windows works automatically from install, no need to go fiddle with the config file.

18. ThatOne Silver badge
    Unhappy

Still, lots of games I play don't run very well on Wine. :-(

Biggest regret of my life is not having bought a Win7 license back then, license I could now stick in a VM for those games which don't like Wine. Hindsight and all that...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You do realise Win7 licenses are *readily* available from numerous places on the interwebs? (Real ones, I purchased 15 just last month for a client, they all activated perfectly).

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Coffee/keyboard

> You do realise Win7 licenses are *readily* available from numerous places on the interwebs?

One can probably find easily (more or less trustworthy) licenses, but finding a certified-not-shady-at-all installation CD is a lot more difficult. I wouldn't trust some ISO found at some random fly-by-night website on the Internet.

19. ProgrammerForHire

edge

I swear it's edge. Every once in a while it craps and makes games stutter a lot. I don't think its the cpu, but the fact that edge uses direct x acceleration

Just close it and it's all back to normal

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like