back to article Boffins stalk house-hunting bees, find colony behaves kind of like a human brain

Boffins at Sheffield University have discovered that colonies of honeybees follow the same laws as the human brain when making collective decisions. For the research, published in Nature Scientific Reports, the team constructed a house-hunting model and treated a simulated bee colony as a single organism, able to respond in a …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Boffins at Sheffield University have discovered that colonies of honeybees follow the same laws as the human brain when making collective decisions.

For the research, published in Nature Scientific Reports, the team constructed a house-hunting model and treated a simulated bee colony

The simulation we created behaves as we have expected. QED. Bravo.

Ok, I am being unfair, not like there are any bees left to do proper research around Sheffield nowdays. The farmers have taken care of them along with bnutterflies, beetles and anything that flies except wasps (I think wasps would like to co-rule the Earth with the cockroaches after we do ourselves as species).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

I wouldn't want a bnutterfly flying around me either !

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

co-rule

I think the roaches are more radiation-hardened so, if the Norks and Mercans decide to nuke each other I think the roaches will win out.

I for one....

1. jake Silver badge

Re: co-rule

Not roaches. Tardigrades will inherit the earth, as any fule no.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Ok, I am being unfair, not like there are any bees left to do proper research around Sheffield nowdays."

You are. There's a fair amount of Peak District not that far away. Sheffield used to pride itself on being one of the greenest cities in the UK until the council decided to start felling so many trees.

2. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Trollface

And the Borg? Will somebody study their hive mind?

3. Commswonk

More Research Funds, Please...

Clearly a sting operation.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Joke

Re: More Research Funds, Please...

Beehive yourself, Commswonk...

1. Commswonk

Re: More Research Funds, Please...

I wonder if this report is also being carried by Buzzfeed....

1. Crisp

Re: A sting operation?

Looks like a honey trap to me.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: A sting operation?

That's us commentards ... no time to brood, always waxing lyrical.

4. frank ly

Unreported fact

Towards the end of the simulated runs, after being presented with many conficting choices and changes of parameters, the 'bee colony' suddenly stopped looking for new nest sites and built an extension onto their existing nest.

5. armyknife

Bee the Change in the Wold.

And do humans similarly scale in their collective decisions?

Brexit, Trump, etc? :chin scratch:

6. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

[SadlyNoddingHead]

"User interface designers will be familiar with the Hick-Hyman law as an argument for reducing complexity in design, before ignoring it and festooning their sites with a bewildering variety of options." [/SadlyNoddingHead]

1. handleoclast

Re: [SadlyNoddingHead]

Damn, you got there before I could.

Have an upvote anyway.

Hmmm. Perhaps, one day, psychologists will add a variant of this and call is "Speed's Law." Along the lines of "Intelligence is the degree of brain complexity that allows one to deduce the best course of action and then invent reasons to do something else instead. Unintelligent creatures figure out the best course of action and then do it."

2. jake Silver badge

Re: [SadlyNoddingHead]

For a perfect example, see systemd ...

7. RandomUsername

There is a fascinating book on this subject called Honeybee Democracy where real bees were used in incredibly complicated real world experiments that comes to the broadly same conclusions.

Its infinitely easier to track the detailed and precise movements of individuals in a swarm of 20000 simulated bees than in a swarm of similar size with real bees but the researchers managed it with real bees.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Coat

Yeah, but that funding has already been spent.

8. englishr
    Boffin

Frank Herbert's "The Green Brain"

Reminds me of Frank Herbert's "The Green Brain" from the the mid 60's

I'm going to have to dig it out and re-read it now!

9. EveryTime

I think that the humans are pattern matching a bit too much. You can anthropomorphize bee behavior, or claim they follow 'rules' that someone proclaimed, but that doesn't mean you actually understand their behavior.

A bee swarm actually prepares and leave the hive completely, settling on a nearby branch before scouting for a new location. They are heavily stuffed with food, so the initial move is around 10 meters. When you see a swarm, it's almost certain that the original hive is a few paces away. Not closer, and not much further.

Only at that point do they send scouts to look for a new location. If they can't find one, they are screwed. They can't return to the original hive as a group, and they can't live out in the open for more than a few days.

It's pretty much like a human eating everything they can from the fridge, telling off their roommates, and walking to the end of the drive before thinking about where they will sleep that night. Which is a fun way to describe the behavior, except it's not at all like that because bees aren't human. See my first point.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon