back to article Try our new driverless car software says Nvidia, as it suspends driverless car trials

Nvidia has declared the creation of a “cloud-based system” for testing driverless cars – just as it, er, suspended testing of driverless cars. Hot on the heels of its announcement of its Drive Constellation system, the chipmaker then quietly suspended autonomous vehicle tests that use its technology after a pedestrian was …

1. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"Ultimately..."

"Ultimately [Autonomous Vehicles] will be far safer than [the average] human drivers..."

When's that? Is it before or after 'Real Soon Now'?

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: "Ultimately..."

Unfortunately "safer than [the average] human driver" is a VERY VERY low bar, at least around here.

I went 4 blocks for lunch today, and had 3 people endanger my life.

1. Chemical Bob

Maybe you should go on a diet.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Tesla fatality in CA last week didn't help

The fiery fatality crash in CA last week of a Tesla model X that hit a concrete barrier and two other cars and then burst into flames appears to be another wake-up call to state and federal governments that far more EV / AV oversight is required for these vehicles to be operating or testing in autonomous or "autopilot" modes on public roadways.

3. IGnatius T Foobar

Won't someone please think of the children?

How many more people have to die before the world realizes that self driving cars are a bad idea?

1. Marcus000

Re: Won't someone please think of the children?

Do you mean those children who might want to jump in front of a self-driving car for fun, you know just to see what happens?

2. joe bixflics

Re: Won't someone please think of the children?

All of them except me.

4. Sierpinski

After the final pedestrian is eliminated autonomous vehicles will be safer than the average human driver.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like